MIME::Lite on ActivePerl

Anurat Chapanond

Hi,
I want to do automatic email sending on my windows machine. So I get
ActivePerl installed on my machine. I think I need MIME::Lite in order to do
automatic email sending. However I'm not sure if the package is for unix
only or it can be installed on windows as well. I'm really new to Perl. Any
advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Anurat

Sisyphus

Anurat said:
Hi,
I want to do automatic email sending on my windows machine. So I get
ActivePerl installed on my machine. I think I need MIME::Lite in order to do
automatic email sending. However I'm not sure if the package is for unix
only or it can be installed on windows as well. I'm really new to Perl. Any
advice would be appreciated.

ActivePerl might already have MIME::Lite installed.

If not, while connected to the internet, enter:
ppm install MIME-Lite

Cheers,
Rob

Russbucket

Mime::Lite works fine with the Windows and Unix environments. I use WinME
with PWs to debug my web pages before send to a Unix server. There are some
changes need for the Unix side. But mime lite does work.

Ben Morrow

Anurat Chapanond said:
Hi,
I want to do automatic email sending on my windows machine. So I get
ActivePerl installed on my machine. I think I need MIME::Lite in order to do
automatic email sending.

You don't, unless you want to send MIME email.

You do need something to send mail, probably Net::SMTP.

Ben

Sisyphus

Ben said:
You don't, unless you want to send MIME email.

You do need something to send mail, probably Net::SMTP.

Ben

I think MIME::Lite (typically) uses Net::SMTP to send email, though
there are other options.

I find coding with MIME::Lite considerably more straightforward than
coding with Net::SMTP directly and regard it as a good choice for the job.

But you're right - the OP is going to need Net::SMTP (probably) as well.

Cheers,
Rob

Bart Lateur

Ben said:
You don't, unless you want to send MIME email.

You do need something to send mail, probably Net::SMTP.

MIME::Lite is a lot easier to set up to send mail, than Net::SMTP is,
even for messages that don't use MIME. The advantage of it is that it
can use several ways to send mail, and hides the dirty details.

To the OP: yes, MIME::Lite can be used on Windows. In particular in the
newest update, several features to make your life easier on Windows,
have been added.