ActivePerl

fred

Hi,

I am a self confessed novice when it come to Perl but I have to carry
out some updates to a perl app.

The application I am working on is written in Perl 5 (I think) and I
only have ActivePerl on my local machine.

My question is: How difficult would it be/many changes have to be made
to get it to work in ActivePerl?

Thanks

Fred

A. Sinan Unur

(e-mail address removed) wrote in @u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:
I am a self confessed novice when it come to Perl but I have to carry
out some updates to a perl app.

The application I am working on is written in Perl 5 (I think) and I
only have ActivePerl on my local machine.

ActivePerl is just a distribution of Perl.

http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/?mp=1

Sinan

--
A. Sinan Unur <[email protected]>

fred

So I am to understand that what you are saying is that it should work
without making any changes to it?

Fred

fred

Thanks for you reply.

So basically for someone that knows nothing about perl trying to figure
out an application (intranet) written by a company that no longer
exist, I am between a rock and a hard place.

In case it helps, here is the errors I have received when I tried to
load it.

Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/intranet/ C:/Perl/lib C:/Perl/site/lib .) at
C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/intranet//FF_Config.pm line 93.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/intranet//FF_Config.pm line 93.
Compilation failed in require at c:\inetpub\wwwroot\intranet\ff_home.pl
line 32.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\intranet\ff_home.pl line 32.

Line 93 of ff_config is

use DBI;

Line 32 of ff_home.pl is:

use FF_Config;

Thanks

Fred

David Squire

Thanks for you reply

What reply? Please quote context when following up a post on Usenet.
So basically for someone that knows nothing about perl trying to figure
out an application (intranet) written by a company that no longer
exist, I am between a rock and a hard place.

In case it helps, here is the errors I have received when I tried to
load it.

Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC (@INC contains:

This just means you need to install the DBI module. Lots of Perl
programs use modules that are not included in the base distribution.

See http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePerl/PPM/

DS

Bart Lateur

So I am to understand that what you are saying is that it should work
without making any changes to it?

There's quite a good chance it will. It depends on what platform it was
written for, in the first place.

There are some non-portability issues, but you can read up about them in
perlport, part of the standard documentation. Online:
<http://perldoc.perl.org/perlport.html>

fred

David said:
What reply? Please quote context when following up a post on Usenet.

This just means you need to install the DBI module. Lots of Perl
programs use modules that are not included in the base distribution.

See http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePerl/PPM/

DS

Thanks David.

The more I am getting involved with Perl the more I dont want to be!
The company I work for have a restricted access Internet connection
where even the helpdesk can download files. Its all just driving me
crazy.

Each to their own I guess.

Fred

cartercc

The more I am getting involved with Perl the more I dont want to be!
The company I work for have a restricted access Internet connection
where even the helpdesk can download files. Its all just driving me
crazy.

Perl is just a tool, and like other tools, it's great for some jobs and
terrible for others. Something it's very good at is connecting to a
database and manipulating data. In fact, Perl may be the optimal tool
for that. It's certainly better than its usual competitors, like VB,
Java, and C/C++. It may or may not be that much better than Python or
Ruby, but I've used both and think Perl is better for small scripts.

Using CPAN modules is a fundamental skill. If you can't do this, either
because of configuration problems or for some other reason, you will be
very limited in what you will be able to do with Perl. CPAN has a
tremendous wealth of modules -- it boggles the mind when you explore
it.

As to your company's policy, I just don't believe that it would
restrict you from installing CPAN modules if you have responsibility
for writing programs. It would be like telling you to write programs
without using a computer! Almost, anyway. If you are a programmer, you
should have the ability to use whatever resources you need to do your
job. Tell your supervisor that you need DBI and if he can arrange for
you to get it, you can't do your job.

CC