    Thanks

    Fred
    , May 24, 2006

  2. wrote in news:1148485535.944492.129680
    @u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

    > I am a self confessed novice when it come to Perl but I have to carry
    > out some updates to a perl app.
    >
    > The application I am working on is written in Perl 5 (I think) and I
    > only have ActivePerl on my local machine.

    ActivePerl is just a distribution of Perl.

    http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/?mp=1

    Sinan

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, May 24, 2006

    So I am to understand that what you are saying is that it should work
    without making any changes to it?

    Fred
    , May 24, 2006

    Thanks for you reply.

    So basically for someone that knows nothing about perl trying to figure
    out an application (intranet) written by a company that no longer
    exist, I am between a rock and a hard place.

    In case it helps, here is the errors I have received when I tried to
    load it.

    Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
    C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/intranet/ C:/Perl/lib C:/Perl/site/lib .) at
    C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/intranet//FF_Config.pm line 93.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
    C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/intranet//FF_Config.pm line 93.
    Compilation failed in require at c:\inetpub\wwwroot\intranet\ff_home.pl
    line 32.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\intranet\ff_home.pl line 32.

    Line 93 of ff_config is

    use DBI;

    Line 32 of ff_home.pl is:

    use FF_Config;

    Thanks

    Fred
    , May 24, 2006
  5. David Squire Guest

    wrote:
    > Thanks for you reply

    What reply? Please quote context when following up a post on Usenet.

    > So basically for someone that knows nothing about perl trying to figure
    > out an application (intranet) written by a company that no longer
    > exist, I am between a rock and a hard place.
    >
    > In case it helps, here is the errors I have received when I tried to
    > load it.
    >
    > Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC (@INC contains:

    This just means you need to install the DBI module. Lots of Perl
    programs use modules that are not included in the base distribution.

    See http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePerl/PPM/

    DS
    David Squire, May 24, 2006
  6. Bart Lateur Guest

    wrote:

    >So I am to understand that what you are saying is that it should work
    >without making any changes to it?

    There's quite a good chance it will. It depends on what platform it was
    written for, in the first place.

    There are some non-portability issues, but you can read up about them in
    perlport, part of the standard documentation. Online:
    <http://perldoc.perl.org/perlport.html>
    --
    Bart.
    Bart Lateur, May 24, 2006

    David Squire wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > Thanks for you reply

    > What reply? Please quote context when following up a post on Usenet.
    >

    > > So basically for someone that knows nothing about perl trying to figure
    > > out an application (intranet) written by a company that no longer
    > > exist, I am between a rock and a hard place.
    > >
    > > In case it helps, here is the errors I have received when I tried to
    > > load it.
    > >
    > > Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC (@INC contains:

    > This just means you need to install the DBI module. Lots of Perl
    > programs use modules that are not included in the base distribution.
    >
    > See http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePerl/PPM/
    >
    > DS

    Thanks David.

    The more I am getting involved with Perl the more I dont want to be!
    The company I work for have a restricted access Internet connection
    where even the helpdesk can download files. Its all just driving me
    crazy.

    Each to their own I guess.

    Fred
    , May 25, 2006

    wrote:
    > The more I am getting involved with Perl the more I dont want to be!
    > The company I work for have a restricted access Internet connection
    > where even the helpdesk can download files. Its all just driving me
    > crazy.

    Perl is just a tool, and like other tools, it's great for some jobs and
    terrible for others. Something it's very good at is connecting to a
    database and manipulating data. In fact, Perl may be the optimal tool
    for that. It's certainly better than its usual competitors, like VB,
    Java, and C/C++. It may or may not be that much better than Python or
    Ruby, but I've used both and think Perl is better for small scripts.

    Using CPAN modules is a fundamental skill. If you can't do this, either
    because of configuration problems or for some other reason, you will be
    very limited in what you will be able to do with Perl. CPAN has a
    tremendous wealth of modules -- it boggles the mind when you explore
    it.

    As to your company's policy, I just don't believe that it would
    restrict you from installing CPAN modules if you have responsibility
    for writing programs. It would be like telling you to write programs
    without using a computer! Almost, anyway. If you are a programmer, you
    should have the ability to use whatever resources you need to do your
    job. Tell your supervisor that you need DBI and if he can arrange for
    you to get it, you can't do your job.

    CC
    , May 25, 2006