Email Program

Is it possible to make a GUI email program in Python that stores
emails, composes, ect?

Ralf Schoenian

J said:
Is it possible to make a GUI email program in Python that stores
emails, composes, ect?

Hi,

yes, it is possible. There are modules in the standard library like
email, smtplib and poplib. A gui can be written in wxPython, pyQT, pyGTK
or tkinter. There are many more toolkits but these are the big ones.
Actually, ff you want to see an Python email client in action have a
look at Chandler: http://chandlerproject.org/ it's written in wxPython.

Regards,
Ralf Schoenian

Dennis Lee Bieber

Is it possible to make a GUI email program in Python that stores
emails, composes, ect?

What is "ect"? The latin phrase is "et cetera" -- roughly
translated: and so forth -- and commonly abbreviated as "etc." (with the
common period denoting an abbreviation <G>)

As for a GUI email program... Define the requirements in more
detail... But it is possible... Though I've never needed to -- my email
client programs have always been acceptable, whereas the mail transfer
agents have sometimes been a flop.

Of course, one has to go back to the early days of public Internet
access... When a mail client only read mail from a LOCAL (ie, on the
same machine) mailbox; and spooled mail into a local spool directory.
Mail transfer agents were responsible for pulling mail down from POP3
ISP mailboxes, and for sending via SMTP.

My first real Python program -- written with the Amiga version of
Python 1.4 -- was a rudimentary Sendmail daemon, which would take
messages from a local spool directory, connect to my ISPs SMTPd, relay
all the address, then send the body of the message. I wrote this within
a week of discovering Python via the first books available. And I wrote
this as my previous, downloaded, MTAs had severe faults -- the first
properly handled TO, CC, and BCC, but relied upon connecting directly to
the destination address for each recipient, and would hang up the entire
spool if given an address that could not be connected; the second worked
as most current clients, by relaying via one's own ISP... but it totally
ignored BCC and CC addresses!

That was over a decade ago (heck, when I had monitor problems, I had
to revert to a laptop running WfW3.11! Win95 is over a decade old!)

So yes... Python can be used to write an email client... It even has
newer libraries instead of the raw socket connection I had to use...
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/