    from within a web page.

    Many thanks in advance.

    Neal.
    Neal, Oct 29, 2003

  2. Hi Neal,

    I have reviewed your issue. Due to the nature of your issue we need to do
    additional research to determine the best way to provide assistance. We
    will contact you as soon as possible.

    Best regards,

    Jacob Yang
    Microsoft Online Partner Support
    Get Secure! ┬ĘC www.microsoft.com/security
    Jacob Yang [MSFT], Oct 30, 2003

  3. Neal,

    Sorry I couldn't respond earlier. Pocket PC is able to host an ActiveX
    control just like desktop IE. The catch is that the control has to have
    been already installed and registered on the device; pIE does not
    automatically download the control. The control may also have to implement
    IObjectSafety to declare it safe and has to be registered with the
    threading model specified as 'free' or 'both'. The SDK documentation
    contains steps on how to author ActiveX controls for use by pIE.

    There is no direct way of starting an application on the device from the
    HTML page. You can embed a link to an application on the server and if the
    user clicks on the link, they'll be asked to confirm download and execution
    of the application on the device.

    Writing an ActiveX control is probably the approach you want to take. You
    can provide a link to a cab file containing the ActiveX control setup and
    users can download that from pIE, install it, and start using the control.

    If you have any follow up questions on this, please post them here and also
    include what version(s) of Pocket PC you're targeting.

    --

    Cherno Jagne
    Microsoft Corp.

    Cherno Jagne [MS], Nov 5, 2003