Embedding html inside html (that old chestnut)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by DartGuru, Oct 23, 2007.

  1. DartGuru

    DartGuru Guest

    I've browsed this group and understand that

    <!--#include file="file-to-include.htm"-->

    should work provided I ensure my original file has the .shtm
    extension. *note1

    I have a copy of a website on my local drive and wish to test the look
    of my site before uploading it. At the moment, the included file does
    not appear in my local version of the site, presumably because it is
    specifically designed for SSI.
    Can I set anything locally to get an accurate view of what my uploaded
    website will look like?

    *note1:
    I tried using <IFRAME> and <OBJECT>, but as the included file is of
    unknown length, I didn't want to predetermine the height of the frame.
    If I omit the HEIGHT qualifier, it uses a very unhelpful default
    height, dependent on its location on the screen. Can I get round it
    this way?

    DartGuru, Oct 23, 2007

  2. DartGuru

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    DartGuru <> wrote:

    > I've browsed this group and understand that
    >
    > <!--#include file="file-to-include.htm"-->
    >
    > should work provided I ensure my original file has the .shtm
    > extension. *note1
    >
    > I have a copy of a website on my local drive and wish to test the look
    > of my site before uploading it. At the moment, the included file does
    > not appear in my local version of the site, presumably because it is
    > specifically designed for SSI.
    > Can I set anything locally to get an accurate view of what my uploaded
    > website will look like?

    You can run a server on your machine for local use.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 23, 2007

  3. DartGuru

    rf Guest

    "DartGuru" <> wrote in message
    > I've browsed this group and understand that
    >
    > <!--#include file="file-to-include.htm"-->
    >
    > should work provided I ensure my original file has the .shtm
    > extension. *note1
    >
    > I have a copy of a website on my local drive and wish to test the look
    > of my site before uploading it. At the moment, the included file does
    > not appear in my local version of the site, presumably because it is
    > specifically designed for SSI.
    > Can I set anything locally to get an accurate view of what my uploaded
    > website will look like?

    Other than a installing a web server supporting SSI, no.

    Why not upload it to a secret test folder? That's what I do just prior to
    promotion to production status, just to check things out like database
    connection etc.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 23, 2007
  4. DartGuru

    DartGuru Guest

    On Oct 23, 12:12 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    <snip>
    > Why not upload it to a secret test folder? That's what I do just prior to
    > promotion to production status, just to check things out like database
    > connection etc.
    >
    > --
    > Richard.

    Hadn't though of that, it sounds a sensible approach, thanks.

    DartGuru, Oct 23, 2007
  5. DartGuru

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Oct 23, 9:45 pm, DartGuru <> wrote:
    > On Oct 23, 12:12 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > <snip>
    >
    > > Why not upload it to a secret test folder? That's what I do just prior to
    > > promotion to production status, just to check things out like database
    > > connection etc.

    > > --
    > > Richard.

    > Hadn't though of that, it sounds a sensible approach, thanks.

    another idea is to have two master pages, an ordinary HTML page just
    for layout development called masterpage.html and then make a
    masterpage.shtml page with all your include files and build the main
    content for the site off that includes page. That way you get your
    layout sorted and you have a nice template system to work off.
    --
    Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.awardspace.biz

    Chaddy2222, Oct 23, 2007