Embedding html inside html (that old chestnut)

DartGuru

I've browsed this group and understand that

<!--#include file="file-to-include.htm"-->

should work provided I ensure my original file has the .shtm
extension. *note1

I have a copy of a website on my local drive and wish to test the look
of my site before uploading it. At the moment, the included file does
not appear in my local version of the site, presumably because it is
specifically designed for SSI.
Can I set anything locally to get an accurate view of what my uploaded
website will look like?

*note1:
I tried using <IFRAME> and <OBJECT>, but as the included file is of
unknown length, I didn't want to predetermine the height of the frame.
If I omit the HEIGHT qualifier, it uses a very unhelpful default
height, dependent on its location on the screen. Can I get round it
this way?

dorayme

DartGuru said:
I've browsed this group and understand that

<!--#include file="file-to-include.htm"-->

should work provided I ensure my original file has the .shtm
extension. *note1

I have a copy of a website on my local drive and wish to test the look
of my site before uploading it. At the moment, the included file does
not appear in my local version of the site, presumably because it is
specifically designed for SSI.
Can I set anything locally to get an accurate view of what my uploaded
website will look like?

You can run a server on your machine for local use.

rf

DartGuru said:
I've browsed this group and understand that

<!--#include file="file-to-include.htm"-->

should work provided I ensure my original file has the .shtm
extension. *note1

I have a copy of a website on my local drive and wish to test the look
of my site before uploading it. At the moment, the included file does
not appear in my local version of the site, presumably because it is
specifically designed for SSI.
Can I set anything locally to get an accurate view of what my uploaded
website will look like?

Other than a installing a web server supporting SSI, no.

Why not upload it to a secret test folder? That's what I do just prior to
promotion to production status, just to check things out like database
connection etc.

DartGuru

Why not upload it to a secret test folder? That's what I do just prior to
promotion to production status, just to check things out like database
connection etc.

Hadn't though of that, it sounds a sensible approach, thanks.

Chaddy2222

Hadn't though of that, it sounds a sensible approach, thanks.

another idea is to have two master pages, an ordinary HTML page just
for layout development called masterpage.html and then make a
masterpage.shtml page with all your include files and build the main
content for the site off that includes page. That way you get your
layout sorted and you have a nice template system to work off.