Emergency - Tables in Internet Explorer

Aaron Vano

Hi All.

I fully expect to get smacked upside the head repeatedly with a clue-by-four
for the coding on this page, but it's one of those pages that started out as
one thing and got iteratively retrofited into something else completely.
Hrm.

http://www.cottonwoodcreek.org/high_school/index2.php

The page itself is a mish-mash hybrid of PHP, hand-coded HTML, ImageReady
output, and the horrific code that HTMLArea spits out. (God bless them for
making a free WYSIWYG editor in JavaScript, but have you ever tried reading
that output? *shudder*) My excuse for the weird construction with the end
carats has something to do with Mac line endings and brain-dead browsers.
You really don't want to know.

In any event, the problem exists in Internet Explorer for Windows. On some
articles (use the tabs on the car stereo to move around), the tables display
perfectly. In others, they are far wider than the browser window (displaying
at 800x600.) I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason to the problem, and it
is highly intermittent. I assumed at first that maybe the problem had
something to do with the contents of the database entry (an extra table
ending or something) but even on pid 59 - a very simple, hand coded article
with minimal formatting - the problem occurrs. On the relatively complex
article 60, it works fine. Despite the unconventional formatting, the tables
appear to be coded perfectly.

Is it something simple I'm missing? Am I just a moron? Any help appreciated,
as I *really* need to get this done tonight. Again, I apologize for asking
other people to do my job for me, but I've been looking at this all night
and I'm stuck.

Thanks so much,

- Tyler

brucie

in post: <
Aaron Vano said:

"No input file specified."
In any event, the problem exists in Internet Explorer for Windows. On some
articles (use the tabs on the car stereo to move around), the tables display
perfectly. In others, they are far wider than the browser window (displaying
at 800x600.) I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason to the problem, and it
is highly intermittent.

start again

Woolly Mittens

Aaron Vano said:
article 60, it works fine. Despite the unconventional formatting, the tables
appear to be coded perfectly.

You can use tables for layout, but you invite disaster upon complex designs.

If you manage to break something in three levels of nested tables. then it
is likely to stay broken forever.
If you are smart enough to repair an error in three levels of nested tables,
then you are smart enough to have used stylesheets for your layout to begin
with.

DU

Aaron said:
Hi All.

I fully expect to get smacked upside the head repeatedly with a clue-by-four
for the coding on this page, but it's one of those pages that started out as
one thing and got iteratively retrofited into something else completely.
Hrm.

http://www.cottonwoodcreek.org/high_school/index2.php

"No input file specified." Are you asking to be killfiled or something?
You request assistance - Emergency assistance that is - and your page
is unaccessible.

Despite the unconventional formatting, the tables
appear to be coded perfectly.

Maybe the second problem you should deal with is proper use of tables in
a webpage.

DU