Employablity of python programmers

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mir Nazim, Jan 17, 2005.

  1. Mir Nazim

    Mir Nazim Guest

    Hi,

    Here I am once again to give a bit trouble.

    I am at the verge of completing my graduation in computer sciences. I
    will be graduating within 6-8 months. Now I am faced with the problems
    of my career. I am in a fix what skill set I must choose to be safe as
    far as job openings are concerned. I understand that skill set should
    be that one like most but job is also important. I will try to achieve
    a balance in both with the help of you advice.

    I am currently developing in PHP as a freelance web developer. But I
    want to move to python(for all it all cool reasons discussed a zillion
    times on c.l.py) and wanted to know the job oportunites available to a
    python programmer(I know these have been also discussed a zillion time
    here but still..). I am living in India and would like to know about
    employability of python programmers in India (I know that a few Indians
    frequent c.l.py. Hello Sridhar, where are you).

    I would also like to know that if the knowledge of any other language
    will boost employability of a python programmer. As far as I see it,
    the following combination are desirable.

    1) C/C++ and Python.
    2) Java and Python.
    3) Pure Python.

    Out of the three Java along with python seems to be straight forward
    choice as far as employability is concerned. But I would like to know
    the benifits which one is a better career choice to take out of these
    three choices(other suggestions are welcome). For me choice three would
    be better, not because I have only one language to learn. If I choose
    choice three I could spend more time in learning different approaches
    to develop the application and better master the library and frameworks
    avaialble for python.

    So what are the recomendations from your side. Please help.
    Thanks
    ---
    Mir Nazim.
    Mir Nazim, Jan 17, 2005

  2. Hi,

    I program in Python -- but not at work. There are very few
    opportunities for Python work in India. As of now, at least. (If
    somebody else has better information, please correct me.)

    A lot of people _do_ use Python, but not many organizations use it.

    Okay, as an aside, as a computer _science_ graduate, a programming
    language alone should not decide what career you choose. Nor should
    you choose a career based on the liking of a particular language
    alone.

    And I kinda don't understand this idea of "choosing what's best". How
    do you define "what is best"? I guess you should do what you like --
    and not something that is "in demand".

    My 2 paisas. :)

    On 17 Jan 2005 07:09:09 -0800, Mir Nazim <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Here I am once again to give a bit trouble.
    >
    > I am at the verge of completing my graduation in computer sciences. I
    > will be graduating within 6-8 months. Now I am faced with the problems
    > of my career. I am in a fix what skill set I must choose to be safe as
    > far as job openings are concerned. I understand that skill set should
    > be that one like most but job is also important. I will try to achieve
    > a balance in both with the help of you advice.
    >
    > I am currently developing in PHP as a freelance web developer. But I
    > want to move to python(for all it all cool reasons discussed a zillion
    > times on c.l.py) and wanted to know the job oportunites available to a
    > python programmer(I know these have been also discussed a zillion time
    > here but still..). I am living in India and would like to know about
    > employability of python programmers in India (I know that a few Indians
    > frequent c.l.py. Hello Sridhar, where are you).
    >
    > I would also like to know that if the knowledge of any other language
    > will boost employability of a python programmer. As far as I see it,
    > the following combination are desirable.
    >
    > 1) C/C++ and Python.
    > 2) Java and Python.
    > 3) Pure Python.
    >
    > Out of the three Java along with python seems to be straight forward
    > choice as far as employability is concerned. But I would like to know
    > the benifits which one is a better career choice to take out of these
    > three choices(other suggestions are welcome). For me choice three would
    > be better, not because I have only one language to learn. If I choose
    > choice three I could spend more time in learning different approaches
    > to develop the application and better master the library and frameworks
    > avaialble for python.
    >
    > So what are the recomendations from your side. Please help.
    > Thanks
    > ---
    > Mir Nazim.

    Premshree Pillai
    http://www.livejournal.com/~premshree
    Premshree Pillai, Jan 18, 2005

  3. Mir Nazim

    Benji York Guest

    Mir Nazim <> wrote:
    > I am in a fix what skill set I must choose to be safe as
    > far as job openings are concerned.

    > 1) C/C++ and Python.
    > 2) Java and Python.
    > 3) Pure Python.

    As for pure employability, I'd choose option 2, but as a person that
    wants something more than employment from my work life, I'd like to
    share something with you:

    A while ago I decided that to be happy I had to decide what I wanted,
    *really* go after those things, and believe that the rewards would
    follow. For me Python had a big part to play in that, so I recently
    started looking for a new job, even though I already had one that was
    promising and secure. It also meant being willing to move myself and my
    family far from or home, friends, and other family members to take that
    new job.

    If we were willing to make big changes (and the accompanying
    sacrifices), we were going to make the most of it: I wouldn't accept
    anything but the right job, at the right company, with the right
    environment where they really needed *me*. I spent hours researching
    openings and companies and sent out many resumes with the hopes of
    finding that *one* job. Two weeks later, I was fortunate enough to
    begin talks with *two* very interested (and more importantly,
    interesting) companies.

    I've been at my new job (in a new house, in a new city) for about six
    weeks now. It's not perfect (nothing is), but I'm enjoying the job,
    like the people I work with, and the area we live in. We made the right
    choice. Go after what you really want, and you will too.
    --
    Benji York
    Sr. Software Engineer
    Benji York, Jan 19, 2005