En dash usage in European languages &c

Discussion in 'XML' started by mats.broberg@chello.se, Dec 10, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Dear all,

    I'm having a scientific text translated into the majority of western
    and eastern European languages* and have provided a small leaflet with
    typesetting rules for the translators. Some translators protest that
    this or that rule is not used in their respective language.

    However, I think the majority of commercial translators are good at
    translating, but don't know that much about typesetting. I see this
    situation in Sweden (where I come from) where writers with Swedish as
    their native language make several mistakes, e.g. using the hyphen
    instead of the en dash in "from-to" expressions ("10-15 m", "20-25 kg"
    etc.) or using the hyphen instead of the en dash in parenthetical
    constructions ("Peter - who was now in his 40's - had...").

    Anyway, the en dash in these construction seem to have created the most

    hot air among the translators. I plea guilty of one mistake: In
    Russian, the em dash is used instead of the en dash in parenthetical
    expressions. So, are there any people out there who are knowledgeable
    enough in the international typesetting to be able to confirm or
    decline? Or even people who have these languages as their native
    language and are interested in typesetting rules?

    I'm inclined to think that I am right and the translators are wrong,
    but since I made a mistake about Russian, I may have made other
    mistakes too.

    * cs, da, de, el, en, es, fi, fr, hu, it, nl, no, pl, pt, sv, tr, ru

    Many thanks in advance!

    Best regards,
    Mats Broberg

    , Dec 10, 2005

  2. "" <> wrote:

    > I'm having a scientific text translated into the majority of western
    > and eastern European languages* and have provided a small leaflet with
    > typesetting rules for the translators.

    Fine, but you multiposted your message to comp.text.xml and comp.text.tex.
    I'll post my comments to the latter, since there's already a thread there.
    Neither of the groups was correct (as so often in multiposting), since your
    question was not about XML and not about TeX but orthography and typography.
    Please don't multipost in future, mm'kay?

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 10, 2005