    I was wondering how does one detect the above character. It is returned by
    an instrument I am controlling via GPIB.

    Thanks.

    Madhusudan Singh, Sep 18, 2005

  2. Madhusudan Singh

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "Madhusudan Singh" <> wrote in message
    news:432cb8fd$0$18650$...
    > Hi
    >
    > I was wondering how does one detect the above character. It is returned
    > by
    > an instrument I am controlling via GPIB.

    EOI = chr(n) # where n is ASCII number of the character.
    # then whenever later
    if gpid_in == EOI: #do whatever

    Terry J. Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Sep 18, 2005

  3. Madhusudan Singh

    Donn Cave Guest

    In article <>,
    "Terry Reedy" <> wrote:

    > "Madhusudan Singh" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I was wondering how does one detect the above character. It is returned
    > > by
    > > an instrument I am controlling via GPIB.

    > EOI = chr(n) # where n is ASCII number of the character.
    > # then whenever later
    > if gpid_in == EOI: #do whatever

    Which begs the question, what is the ASCII number of the
    character? I was curious enough to feed GPIB and EOI into
    a search engine, and from what I got back, I believe it is
    not a character, but rather a hardware line that may be
    asserted or not. GPIB, whatever that is, may support some
    configuration options where EOI causes a character output,
    but the actual value depends on configuration. The documentation
    is probably the place to find out more about this stuff.

    Donn Cave,

    Donn Cave, Sep 19, 2005
  4. Hallöchen!

    Donn Cave <> writes:

    > In article <>,
    > "Terry Reedy" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Madhusudan Singh" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I was wondering how does one detect the above character. It is
    >>> returned by an instrument I am controlling via GPIB.

    >> [...]

    > Which begs the question, what is the ASCII number of the
    > character? I was curious enough to feed GPIB and EOI into
    > a search engine, and from what I got back, I believe it is
    > not a character, but rather a hardware line that may be
    > asserted or not.

    Right. Well, sometimes there are "termination characters" that
    denote the end of a message sent from the intrument to the computer
    and vice versa, see
    <http://pyvisa.sourceforge.net/pyvisa/node17.html>. They are not
    EOI though but \r or \n.

    Besides, normally you work on an abstraction level where you don't
    worry about the EOI line or any termination characters. For
    example, you work with <http://pyvisa.sourceforge.net>. ;-)

    Tschö,
    Torsten.

    --
    Torsten Bronger, aquisgrana, europa vetus ICQ 264-296-646

    Torsten Bronger, Sep 19, 2005
  5. Madhusudan Singh

    rob.irwin

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    GPIB is an old established industry standard for hardware control of instruments. It is defined in IEE 488. It evolved from HPIB.
    EOI is a character that is sent at the end of a command to show it is the end (over GPIB or RS232 or LAN etc.). The original question was sensible in that the EOI can be different, depending on the instument. It is normally Carriage Return\Line Feed but can be either just CR or LF or something else (LF may be sent as '\n' etc. depends on language and OS)
    Instruments I know of that are not standard are Agilent8703 and Agilent E5260. You'd think as the inventors of GPIB (Agilent spun off from HP) they would be standard wouldn't you?

    rob.irwin, Feb 14, 2013