entering the lists against CamelCase

Discussion in 'Python' started by John Benson, Dec 7, 2003.

  1. John Benson

    John Benson Guest

    I never cared for CamelCase because a lot of words in English are compounds,
    and remembering the right CamelCase rendition of them gets difficult. For
    example, an object attribute named

    HaveAMerryChristmas

    isn't too hard, but what about deciding between

    HaveAGoodWeekend

    and

    HaveAGoodWeekEnd?

    I think that most native English speakers would automatically chose the
    former, but others might tend to misremember the latter.

    And what about LaunchGoodyearBlimp versus LaunchGoodYearBlimp? A person
    without specific knowledge of the Goodyear company might easily fall into
    the error of choosing the latter. I'm sure that even better examples could
    be found, given billable time.

    As to the relative abundance of CamelCase, I've seen a potful of it. I
    remember seeing it in the Macintosh API, and it's all over Windows. I've
    also seen a lot of mostly-lowercase code, too, so in my experience you can't
    decide the case (pun intended) on the basis of popularity.

    I think CamelCase is a reaction against an unrelieved boredom with
    uppercase-only terminals and printer chains. When terminals and printers
    could do both upper- and lower-case glyphs, one group went almost all
    lowercase (except for C globals and object-like macros ) and another group
    went CamelCase, both in reaction against the former tyranny of uppercase. A
    holdout was the lone COBOL programmer I knew who refused to disengage her
    caps lock key in an effort to preserve the wierdly uncool all-uppercase
    style of old COBOL listings.

    Although I'm tempted to claim that all the cool guys and gals went mostly
    lowercase because that's my personal preference, I'm actually grateful for
    all the CamelCased good stuff available to me through Python.

    Case Dismissed!
    John Benson, Dec 7, 2003

  2. John Benson wrote:

    > ... what about deciding between
    >
    > HaveAGoodWeekend
    >
    > and
    >
    > HaveAGoodWeekEnd?

    > And what about LaunchGoodyearBlimp versus LaunchGoodYearBlimp? A
    > person
    > without specific knowledge of the Goodyear company might easily fall
    > into
    > the error of choosing the latter. I'm sure that even better examples
    > could
    > be found, given billable time.

    If this is really your biggest problem in programming, I'd say that
    you're in fantastic shape. Seriously.

    --
    __ Erik Max Francis && && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
    / \ San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && &tSftDotIotE
    Erik Max Francis, Dec 7, 2003

  3. John Benson

    John Roth Guest

    "John Benson" <> wrote in message
    > I never cared for CamelCase because a lot of words in English are

    compounds,
    > and remembering the right CamelCase rendition of them gets difficult.

    [snip]

    Well, having worked in monocased languages, I find that
    the biggest problem with them is the inability to tell where
    word breaks are without a clue. Capitalization is one such
    clue, underscores are another. The hyphens you find all over
    COBOL programs are a third. All of these suffer from the
    ambiguity problem you mention.

    The best solution I know of for the ambiguity problem is to
    create a lexicon for a system rather than simply creating names
    as they swim up from the depths of the creative unconcious.

    John Roth

    John Roth, Dec 8, 2003