    Think of it this way, is it possible to hsave forums that would run from a
    local drive, on a Win-98 machine, with NO modifications (no php, IIS or
    nothing)??
    Neil Monk, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Neil Monk

    Hywel Guest

    In article <GxvZb.647$>, neil.monk02
    @__REMOVE__NO__SPAM__blueyonder.co.uk says...

    > Is itr possible to have HTML-only forums?
    >
    > Think of it this way, is it possible to hsave forums that would run from a
    > local drive, on a Win-98 machine, with NO modifications (no php, IIS or
    > nothing)??

    No.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/
    Hywel, Feb 20, 2004

  3. Neil Monk wrote:

    > Is itr possible to have HTML-only forums?

    No, HTML is a way to _structure_ data, it can't process, sort or store it.

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>
    David Dorward, Feb 20, 2004
  4. Neil Monk

    Neil Monk Guest

    "David Dorward" <> wrote in message
    > Neil Monk wrote:
    >
    > > Is itr possible to have HTML-only forums?

    > No, HTML is a way to _structure_ data, it can't process, sort or store it.
    >
    > --
    > David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

    Any other ideas then? Its not for the win 98 machine described above, its
    for my office, with computers on a network running W2k pro??
    --
    Neil
    Neil Monk, Feb 20, 2004
  5. Neil Monk wrote:

    > Any other ideas then? Its not for the win 98 machine described above, its
    > for my office, with computers on a network running W2k pro??

    HTML documents don't gain magic powers from being run on a new operating
    system, or in the presence of a network.

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>
    David Dorward, Feb 20, 2004
  6. Neil Monk

    > Neil Monk wrote:
    >
    > > Any other ideas then? Its not for the win 98 machine described above,

    its
    > > for my office, with computers on a network running W2k pro??

    > HTML documents don't gain magic powers from being run on a new operating
    > system, or in the presence of a network.

    <snip>
    Don't be so fucking sarcastic. It was just a question, and thought it
    *could* make a difference.
    --
    Neil
    Neil Monk, Feb 20, 2004
  7. Neil Monk

    Hywel Guest

    In article <37wZb.791$>, neil.monk02
    @__REMOVE__NO__SPAM__blueyonder.co.uk says...
    > "David Dorward" <> wrote in message
    > > Neil Monk wrote:
    > >
    > > > Any other ideas then? Its not for the win 98 machine described above,

    > its
    > > > for my office, with computers on a network running W2k pro??

    > > HTML documents don't gain magic powers from being run on a new operating
    > > system, or in the presence of a network.

    > <snip>
    > Don't be so fucking sarcastic. It was just a question, and thought it
    > *could* make a difference.

    You asked if a forum could be made without scripting. Several people
    told you "no". David went so far as to tell you what HTML is. To use
    your sentence structure and preference, don't be so fucking stupid. How
    much clearer could he have been?

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/
    Hywel, Feb 20, 2004

    Leif K-Brooks, Feb 21, 2004
  9. In article <LSvZb.720$>,
    "Neil Monk" <neil.monk02@__REMOVE__NO__SPAM__blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    > "David Dorward" <> wrote in message
    > > Neil Monk wrote:
    > >
    > > > Is itr possible to have HTML-only forums?

    > > No, HTML is a way to _structure_ data, it can't process, sort or store it.
    > >
    > > --
    > > David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

    > Any other ideas then? Its not for the win 98 machine described above, its
    > for my office, with computers on a network running W2k pro??

    You could install a web server on the w2k pro machine and run BB scripts
    on it.

    --
    | Andrew Glasgow <amg39(at)cornell.edu> |
    | "SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it |
    Andrew Glasgow, Feb 21, 2004
  10. Neil Monk

    sam Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > Neil Monk wrote:
    >
    >> Is itr possible to have HTML-only forums?

    > No.

    There are however a few free forum programs (php) that don't require a
    database as most do.(they just write to html)

    sam
    sam, Feb 21, 2004
  11. Neil Monk wrote:

    > Is itr possible to have HTML-only forums?
    >
    > Think of it this way, is it possible to hsave forums that would run from a
    > local drive, on a Win-98 machine, with NO modifications (no php, IIS or
    > nothing)??

    Yes. *BUT* it would take a stupid amount of work to maintain.

    In *theory* youc ould set up the tables with the posts. Linked manually.
    When someone post a new reply, they could have it (badly) e-mail you the
    message which you manually update the page with.

    Now that is jsut barable if you are there at your pc 24 hours a day, but
    I think it is a seriously bad idea.

    If you want to run some forums, there are some free ones available with
    no adverts, at http://www.phpbb.com/

    --
    _______________________________________
    /\ \
    \_| Le Eagle Eyes Today |
    | http://www.norml.org |
    | |
    | | |
    | |.| |
    |web: http://www. |.| e-mail: weyoun@|
    |dancingborg |\./| dancingborg|
    |.co.uk |\./| .co.uk|
    |. |\./| .|
    | \^.\ |\\.//| /.^/ |
    | \--.|\ |\\.//| /|.--/ |
    | \--.| \ |\\.//| / |.--/ |
    | \---.|\ |\./| /|.---/ |
    | \--.|\ |\./| /|.--/ |
    | \ .\ |.| /. / |
    | _ -_^_^_^_- \ \\ // / -_^_^_^_- _ |
    | - -/_/_/- ^ ^ | ^ ^ -\_\_\- - |
    \_/____________________________________/
    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Feb 21, 2004
  12. Andrew Glasgow wrote:

    > In article <LSvZb.720$>,
    > "Neil Monk" <neil.monk02@__REMOVE__NO__SPAM__blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>"David Dorward" <> wrote in message

    >>>No, HTML is a way to _structure_ data, it can't process, sort or store it.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

    >>Any other ideas then? Its not for the win 98 machine described above, its
    >>for my office, with computers on a network running W2k pro??

    > You could install a web server on the w2k pro machine and run BB scripts
    > on it.

    Yes. Apache is a free webserver that even *I* managed to set up. You can
    install Apache and PHP from www.php.net in under 20 minutes, and then it
    would be up and running.

    --
    _______________________________________
    /\ \
    \_| Le Eagle Eyes Today |
    | http://www.norml.org |
    | |
    | | |
    | |.| |
    |web: http://www. |.| e-mail: weyoun@|
    |dancingborg |\./| dancingborg|
    |.co.uk |\./| .co.uk|
    |. |\./| .|
    | \^.\ |\\.//| /.^/ |
    | \--.|\ |\\.//| /|.--/ |
    | \--.| \ |\\.//| / |.--/ |
    | \---.|\ |\./| /|.---/ |
    | \--.|\ |\./| /|.--/ |
    | \ .\ |.| /. / |
    | _ -_^_^_^_- \ \\ // / -_^_^_^_- _ |
    | - -/_/_/- ^ ^ | ^ ^ -\_\_\- - |
    \_/____________________________________/
    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Feb 21, 2004
  13. Neil Monk

    Chris Morris Guest

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg <> writes:
    > Neil Monk wrote:
    > > Is itr possible to have HTML-only forums?
    > > Think of it this way, is it possible to hsave forums that would run
    > > from a
    > > local drive, on a Win-98 machine, with NO modifications (no php, IIS or
    > > nothing)??

    > Yes. *BUT* it would take a stupid amount of work to maintain.
    >
    > In *theory* youc ould set up the tables with the posts. Linked
    > manually. When someone post a new reply, they could have it (badly)
    > e-mail you the message which you manually update the page with.

    Actually, manual updates aren't essential. But it'd really need at
    least a basic CGI (hosted externally, perhaps) that took a posted form
    and formatted it properly - mailto: as well as being unreliable
    anyway, is really unsuitable here.

    Then have a script parse emails to that address and update the HTML
    accordingly. It'd take a lot of writing and it'd be far easier to
    install Apache/PHP on the machine (though if it's Win98 the security
    is somewhat dubious)

    (I've heard of a case in the days before server-side scripting like
    PHP really became usable where someone without general CGI access
    nevertheless managed to write an online (turn-based) game using a form
    (I assume pointed to a standard mail CGI script, I didn't ask), a
    procmail filter, and a few scripts.)

    --
    Chris
    Chris Morris, Feb 24, 2004