Entirely HTML only forums?

Neil Monk

Is itr possible to have HTML-only forums?

Think of it this way, is it possible to hsave forums that would run from a
local drive, on a Win-98 machine, with NO modifications (no php, IIS or
nothing)??

Hywel

neil.monk02 said:
Is itr possible to have HTML-only forums?

Think of it this way, is it possible to hsave forums that would run from a
local drive, on a Win-98 machine, with NO modifications (no php, IIS or
nothing)??

No.

Neil Monk

David Dorward said:
No, HTML is a way to _structure_ data, it can't process, sort or store it.
Any other ideas then? Its not for the win 98 machine described above, its
for my office, with computers on a network running W2k pro??

David Dorward

Neil said:
Any other ideas then? Its not for the win 98 machine described above, its
for my office, with computers on a network running W2k pro??

HTML documents don't gain magic powers from being run on a new operating
system, or in the presence of a network.

Neil Monk

David Dorward said:
HTML documents don't gain magic powers from being run on a new operating
system, or in the presence of a network.
<snip>
Don't be so fucking sarcastic. It was just a question, and thought it
*could* make a difference.

Hywel

neil.monk02 said:
<snip>
Don't be so fucking sarcastic. It was just a question, and thought it
*could* make a difference.

You asked if a forum could be made without scripting. Several people
told you "no". David went so far as to tell you what HTML is. To use
your sentence structure and preference, don't be so fucking stupid. How
much clearer could he have been?

Andrew Glasgow

Neil Monk said:
Any other ideas then? Its not for the win 98 machine described above, its
for my office, with computers on a network running W2k pro??

You could install a web server on the w2k pro machine and run BB scripts
on it.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Neil said:
Is itr possible to have HTML-only forums?

Think of it this way, is it possible to hsave forums that would run from a
local drive, on a Win-98 machine, with NO modifications (no php, IIS or
nothing)??

Yes. *BUT* it would take a stupid amount of work to maintain.

In *theory* youc ould set up the tables with the posts. Linked manually.
When someone post a new reply, they could have it (badly) e-mail you the
message which you manually update the page with.

Now that is jsut barable if you are there at your pc 24 hours a day, but
I think it is a seriously bad idea.

If you want to run some forums, there are some free ones available with
no adverts, at http://www.phpbb.com/

--
_______________________________________
/\ \
\_| Le Eagle Eyes Today |
| http://www.norml.org |
| |
| | |
| |.| |
|web: http://www. |.| e-mail: weyoun@|
|dancingborg |\./| dancingborg|
|.co.uk |\./| .co.uk|
|. |\./| .|
| \^.\ |\\.//| /.^/ |
| \--.|\ |\\.//| /|.--/ |
| \--.| \ |\\.//| / |.--/ |
| \---.|\ |\./| /|.---/ |
| \--.|\ |\./| /|.--/ |
| \ .\ |.| /. / |
| _ -_^_^_^_- \ \\ // / -_^_^_^_- _ |
| - -/_/_/- ^ ^ | ^ ^ -\_\_\- - |
| __________________________________|__
\_/____________________________________/

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Andrew said:
You could install a web server on the w2k pro machine and run BB scripts
on it.

Yes. Apache is a free webserver that even *I* managed to set up. You can
install Apache and PHP from www.php.net in under 20 minutes, and then it
would be up and running.

--
_______________________________________
/\ \
\_| Le Eagle Eyes Today |
| http://www.norml.org |
| |
| | |
| |.| |
|web: http://www. |.| e-mail: weyoun@|
|dancingborg |\./| dancingborg|
|.co.uk |\./| .co.uk|
|. |\./| .|
| \^.\ |\\.//| /.^/ |
| \--.|\ |\\.//| /|.--/ |
| \--.| \ |\\.//| / |.--/ |
| \---.|\ |\./| /|.---/ |
| \--.|\ |\./| /|.--/ |
| \ .\ |.| /. / |
| _ -_^_^_^_- \ \\ // / -_^_^_^_- _ |
| - -/_/_/- ^ ^ | ^ ^ -\_\_\- - |
| __________________________________|__
\_/____________________________________/

Chris Morris

Weyoun the Dancing Borg said:
Yes. *BUT* it would take a stupid amount of work to maintain.

In *theory* youc ould set up the tables with the posts. Linked
manually. When someone post a new reply, they could have it (badly)
e-mail you the message which you manually update the page with.

Actually, manual updates aren't essential. But it'd really need at
least a basic CGI (hosted externally, perhaps) that took a posted form
and formatted it properly - mailto: as well as being unreliable
anyway, is really unsuitable here.

Then have a script parse emails to that address and update the HTML
accordingly. It'd take a lot of writing and it'd be far easier to
install Apache/PHP on the machine (though if it's Win98 the security
is somewhat dubious)

(I've heard of a case in the days before server-side scripting like
PHP really became usable where someone without general CGI access
nevertheless managed to write an online (turn-based) game using a form
(I assume pointed to a standard mail CGI script, I didn't ask), a
procmail filter, and a few scripts.)