eror authentication mode = ....

wiktor.dzierzecki

I try to build a simple web aplication in ASP.NET in Visual Studio 5.
When I run finished web aplication from inside VS5:
localhost:1675/test2/Default.aspx
everything is OK, works good.
But when I just navigate in my browser to:
localhost/test2/Default.aspx
i get Configuration Error:

Server Error in '/' Application.
Source Error:
Line 56: <authentication mode="Forms"/>
or sometimes:
Line 56: <authentication mode="Windows" />
(depends of my blind play with "ASP.NET Configuration")

I'm lame but I just want to made web aplication that may be available
to see
by other people on internet, not only by me :) I don't want any
authentification.
Help.

Robert Haken [MVP]

I try to build a simple web aplication in ASP.NET in Visual Studio 5.
When I run finished web aplication from inside VS5:
localhost:1675/test2/Default.aspx
everything is OK, works good.
But when I just navigate in my browser to:
localhost/test2/Default.aspx
i get Configuration Error:

Server Error in '/' Application.
Source Error:
Line 56: <authentication mode="Forms"/>
or sometimes:
Line 56: <authentication mode="Windows" />
(depends of my blind play with "ASP.NET Configuration")

I'm lame but I just want to made web aplication that may be available
to see
by other people on internet, not only by me :) I don't want any
authentification.
Help.

Well, you should provide full error description, not only this short
excerpt.

I guess you could have syntax error in web.config file (Parser error?).
If you have really simple application, you don't need the web.config file -
try to rename it to web.config.bak and try the application again.

Robert Haken [MVP ASP/ASP.NET]
HAVIT, s.r.o., www.havit.cz
http://knowledge-base.havit.cz

wiktor.dzierzecki

Robert Haken [MVP] napisal(a):
Well, you should provide full error description, not only this short
excerpt.

OK:

Server Error in '/' Application.
Configuration Error
file required to service this request. Please review the specific error
details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.
allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
application in IIS.
Source Error:
Line 52: ASP.NET to identify an incoming user.
Line 53: -->
Line 54: <authentication mode="Windows" />
Line 55: <!--
Line 56: The <customErrors> section enables configuration
Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\web.config Line: 54
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42;
ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.210

I guess you could have syntax error in web.config file (Parser error?).
If you have really simple application, you don't need the web.config file -
try to rename it to web.config.bak and try the application again.

But if I delete web.config I get other error:

Server Error in '/test' Application.
Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not
set to an instance of an object.
Source Error:
The source code that generated this unhandled exception can only be
shown when compiled in debug mode. To enable this, please follow one of
the below steps, then request the URL:
1. Add a "Debug=true" directive at the top of the file that generated
the error. Example:
<%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true" %>
or:
2) Add the following section to the configuration file of your
application:
<configuration>
<system.web>
<compilation debug="true"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>
Note that this second technique will cause all files within a given
application to be compiled in debug mode. The first technique will
cause only that particular file to be compiled in debug mode.
Important: Running applications in debug mode does incur a
memory/performance overhead. You should make sure that an application
has debugging disabled before deploying into production scenario.
Stack Trace:
object.]
DataSet1TableAdapters.RokUrodzeniaTableAdapter.InitConnection() +58

DataSet1TableAdapters.RokUrodzeniaTableAdapter.InitCommandCollection()
+84
DataSet1TableAdapters.RokUrodzeniaTableAdapter.GetYearBorn() +41
[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of
an invocation.]
System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[]
arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes,
RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) +0
System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[]
arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes,
RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) +72
System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags
invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture,
Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) +296
System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags
invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
+29

System.Web.UI.WebControls.ObjectDataSourceView.InvokeMethod(ObjectDataSourceMethod
method, Boolean disposeInstance, Object& instance) +482
System.Web.UI.WebControls.ObjectDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments
arguments) +1869
System.Web.UI.WebControls.ListControl.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) +86
System.Web.UI.WebControls.ListControl.PerformSelect() +18
System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.DataBind() +68
System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.EnsureDataBound() +61
System.Web.UI.WebControls.ListControl.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +26
+5729
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42;
ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.210

What is wrong?