Erronous "unsupported locale setting" ?

robert

Why can the default locale not be set by its true name? but only by '' ? :

PythonWin 2.5 (r25:51908, Sep 19 2006, 09:52:17) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32.Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python25\lib\locale.py", line 476, in setlocale
return _setlocale(category, locale)
Error: unsupported locale settingTraceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python25\lib\locale.py", line 476, in setlocale
return _setlocale(category, locale)
Error: unsupported locale setting

robert

Leo said:
Probably it is just not implemented. But since locale names are system
specific (For example windows accepts 'ch' as Chinese in Taiwan, where
as IANA <http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry>
considers it Chamorro) setlocale should probably grow an additional
keyword parameter: setlocale(LC_ALL, iana='de-DE')

that'd be another fat database to blow up the python core(s).

I just wonder why locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL,"de_DE") doesn't accept the name, which ('de_DE', 'cp1252')
already deliver ?

but only this works
'German_Germany.1252'

But 'German_Germany.1252' you cannot get/guess from any locale.getxxxx function I think ...

-robert

Leo Kislov

robert said:
that'd be another fat database to blow up the python core(s).

I just wonder why locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL,"de_DE") doesn't accept the name, which
('de_DE', 'cp1252')
already deliver ?

It is documented that those functions return cross platform RFC 1766
language code. This code sometimes won't be compatible with OS specific
locale name. Cross platform code can useful if you want to create your
own locale database for example cross platform language packs.

Right now we have:

setlocale(category) -- get(it's not a typo) OS locale name
getlocale(category) -- get cross platform locale name
setlocale(category,'') -- enable default locale, return OS locale name
getdefaultlocale() -- get cross platform locale name

I agree it's very confusing API, especially setlocale acting like
getter, but that's what we have. Improvement is welcome.

-- Leo