Error on building from server

^MisterJingo^

Hi all,

I have a website built in VS2005. If I store the site on my local
machine and build it, it builds fine.
If I put the directory holding the site files on a server (shared
drive), open the site from that location and build it, I get the
following error:

"It is an error to use a section registered as
allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
application in IIS build"

All I am trying to do is build a site, not publish it, so i'm not sure
why this error is occuring. Has anyone got any ideas?
The shared folder is in the root directory of the server (which hosts
websites).