errors while connecting to Sql server with DSN connect

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Swagener, Jul 27, 2007.

  1. Swagener

    Swagener Guest

    The aim is to get it working on this machine so I can port everything
    to a Enterprise Version but can't get around this error for the last
    two days. Any help is much appreciated, as I am not getting any
    further with this.

    Internet Explorer Error:
    HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E4D)
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user
    'ssgroup\wagesz'.
    /Survey/asp.asp, line 13

    ASP Connect string:
    dim strSQL
    set Global_DBConnection=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    DSN="Driver={SQL Server};Server=localhost
    \SQLEXPRESS;Database=surveys;UID=domainA;PWD=xxxxxx"
    Global_DBConnection.Open(DSN)

    IIS 5.0 SP4 Configurations:
    Directory Security = Anonymous Acces Enabled with user
    abc1\IWAM_abc1,
    Basic Authentication not enabled, Intregrated Windows Authentication
    is enabled.

    SQL Server Security Configuration:
    Server Security Mode= SQL Server and Windows Authentication (Mixed
    Mode)
    Others= Remote Connection enabled, all services running, tcp and
    named
    pipes enabled
    Domain Useer Account in MSQL = The User domainA is part of W2k Admin
    Group and in Sql Server the entire BUILTIN\Administrators group is
    added in Server security Node and in the db node its added as a user
    with DB_owner membership.
    (The user trying to connect is a domain user, which has admin rights
    on the machine (test purpose))

    Swagener, Jul 27, 2007

  2. Is the user being asked to authenticate to the web server?
    what is the user trying to do select, insert, update, delete?
    Can that user do these actions to the table in the database directly?

    ThatsIT.net.au, Jul 27, 2007

  3. Look at his connection string: he is passing a uid and password.
    I am at a loss to explain why the database server is attempting to use the
    Windows credentials here.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 27, 2007
  4. Swagener

    Swagener Guest

    > >> ASP Connect string:
    > >> dim strSQL
    > >> set Global_DBConnection=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > >> DSN="Driver={SQL Server};Server=localhost
    > >> \SQLEXPRESS;Database=surveys;UID=domainA;PWD=xxxxxx"
    > >> Global_DBConnection.Open(DSN)

    well the connection string is used to execute a sp to pass xml later
    on in the code. I am still having no luck with this, please advise.

    Swagener, Jul 30, 2007
  5. Swagener wrote:

    > well the connection string is used to execute a sp to pass xml later
    > on in the code. I am still having no luck with this, please advise.

    Sorry, but I don't know how you expect me to help. Are you successfully
    connecting to the SQL Server now?

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 30, 2007
  6. Swagener wrote:
    > The aim is to get it working on this machine so I can port everything
    > to a Enterprise Version but can't get around this error for the last
    > two days. Any help is much appreciated, as I am not getting any
    > further with this.
    >
    > Internet Explorer Error:
    > HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
    > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E4D)
    > [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user
    > 'ssgroup\wagesz'.
    > /Survey/asp.asp, line 13
    >

    > ASP Connect string:
    > dim strSQL
    > set Global_DBConnection=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > DSN="Driver={SQL Server};Server=localhost
    > \SQLEXPRESS;Database=surveys;UID=domainA;PWD=xxxxxx"
    > Global_DBConnection.Open(DSN)

    Wait a minute: are you using the user's Windows ID and password in this
    connection string? If so, remove them if you want the user authenticated
    with his Windows credentials. See www.connectionstrings.com for examples of
    valid connection strings. i would sugges using the native SQL Client OLE DB
    provider instead of ODBC.

    Provider=SQLNCLI;Server=myServerAddress;Database=myDataBase;Trusted_Connection=yes;

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 30, 2007
  7. Swagener

    Swagener Guest

    so for my misleading post,

    I am trying to use a windows user to authenticate and execute a stored
    procedure in my sql server instance.
    So is OlEDB the method I should be using?

    Swagener, Jul 30, 2007
  8. Swagener wrote:
    > so for my misleading post,
    >
    > I am trying to use a windows user to authenticate and execute a stored
    > procedure in my sql server instance.
    > So is OlEDB the method I should be using?

    That is what I said, isn't it? :)
    I provided an example of the connection string you should be using.
    Good luck with this: I have had trouble making Windows Authentication
    work with SQL 2005. I have wound up creating a SQL Login for all users
    to use.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 30, 2007