EUREKA..i CAN update AT LAST

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Wyld_Black_Wolf, Dec 10, 2007.

  1. for all you fellow windows users out there who was just as vexed as i for not
    being able to update.. i had found with the help of the microsoft tech
    support the underlying cause.
    my antivirus (i use avast 4 home) was preventing me from accessing the site
    and downloading and installing the updates.
    it WAS .. as i had found a neat little trick that worked like a charm.
    make an exception rule to the antivirus you use for the windows update site.
    make an exception to both your firewall and your antivirus specifically for
    that site and that little issue should be solved. lol it worked for
    me.(though at the time before i figured THAT out i was about ready to scream
    and bash something ..)
    if you guys are using anything like norton or trendmicro.. i would very
    strongly recommend you dispense with those poor excuses of antivirus and run
    with avast.. as i do myself. avast even has the decency to protect my system
    from decompression bombs which are nasty for knocking you off the net.. and
    forcing you to rebuild from raw harddrive. (too many times for me * lament*)
    and so's you guys know... no i do NOT visit some of those skin sites that
    could possibly carry them.
    as for a decompression bomb.. what is it?
    something you would really hate to have to get.. it screws wth your memory,
    rewrites your os and forces you to basically start over..if you let it get
    too far... if it does you have a nice expensive paperweight . congrats.
    please be aware that i have a bit of a cynical sense of humor at times and
    as i have had to rebuild several times due to the nasty little B**ds i feel i
    at least should say something on it .
    if you find yourself unable to solve the updates with making an exception
    rule to your antivirus .. generally to me that means time for a tear down and
    refit of the os .. ( usually accompanied with groans, swearing and the like
    we ALL do at times)

    So i really hope this helps you guys out there with similar vexing
    problems.. and assuredly i have duly informed the tech support at microsoft
    with the same solution i now post here. enjoy guys and best of luck.
    Wyld_Black_Wolf, Dec 10, 2007