    Ankit Parikh
    Manukau Institute Of Technology

    , Aug 17, 2005

  2. wrote:

    > Does anyone where I can find a simple VHDl code example based on
    > evolutionary algorithms.I am doing a project on evolvable hardware.

    VHDL is an excellent hardware
    description language, but it is
    far from the best text processing language.

    You need a custom process for generating
    and automatically modifying VHDL synthesis code
    based on simulation results.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Aug 17, 2005

    Hi Mike
    Could you explain your suggestion in a bit detail. I am a novice in
    VHDL programming.

    Ankit

    , Aug 18, 2005
  4. wrote:

    > Could you explain your suggestion in a bit detail. I am a novice in
    > VHDL programming.

    Perhaps you should consider a less complicated project.
    My point was that in order to automate the writing
    of vhdl synthesis code, you might have to not only
    learn vhdl for synthesis and simulation but also
    a text processing language such as perl or awk
    to handle the automated code modifications.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Aug 18, 2005
  5. I agree with Mike, VHDL directly may not be the best way to look into a
    problem like this.

    From what I remember a lot of Genetic Algorithm based work has been done by
    modifying FPGA bit files, and using an FPGA that is tolerant of bad
    configurations, i.e. doesn't blow-up if you short it by design internally.
    (was an old Xilinx device used by Adrian Thompson at Sussex that was capable
    of detecting a frequency if I remember rightly)

    So you create many bit files, test them all in the apparatus, and give them
    a 'fitness' rating. You then mutate and converge the fittest and repeat,
    until the bit file you have can do the assigned task.
    All very well, but no VHDL involved, I suppose you could fiddle with the
    VHDL instead, but here you'll be missing a key point - only the
    synthesiseable stuff will make it.
    Anyways, this all depends on what level you look at this from, if you're
    talking about the feedback and weighting using in machine learning then
    you'd have to explain more of your problem.
    HTH
    Ben

    Benjamin Todd, Aug 22, 2005
  6. Practical Handbook of Genetic Algorithms:
    Complex Coding Systems, Volume III
    by Lance D. Chambers
    http://tinyurl.com/72ezy

    Mike Treseler, Aug 23, 2005