Exclude App_Data from SourceSafe

Arsen V.

Hi,

How to exclude the App_Data directory from Visual SourceSafe?

It appears that Vs 2005 automatically adds the App_Data directory with the
large binary MDF and LOG files to the Visual SourceSafe.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Thanks,
Arsen

Kevin Yu [MSFT]

Hi Arsen,

We cannot exclude certain files from source control in an ASP.NET app.
However, I've found a workaround here. We can exclude the file from the
whole project to achieve this.

You can select that certain file, right click on it and select Exclude from
project. An .exclude extension will be added at the end of the filename. So
before checking them into the source control, first exclude the files from
project.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. If anything is unclear, please feel free
to let me know.

Kevin Yu
Microsoft Online Community Support

ications.

rights.)

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,
Hi Arsen,

We cannot exclude certain files from source control in an ASP.NET app.
However, I've found a workaround here. We can exclude the file from the
whole project to achieve this.

You can select that certain file, right click on it and select Exclude from
project. An .exclude extension will be added at the end of the filename. So
before checking them into the source control, first exclude the files from
project.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. If anything is unclear, please feel free
to let me know.

Kevin Yu
Microsoft Online Community Support

This is probably the main issue I have with the web site model as
opposed to the Web Application Project template. Who wants to put
*everything* in the source control?

Also, renaming the files is really a bad approach to solving the problem
(though it is the only one so far).

HTH,
Laurent