ExecuteXmlReader -> typed XML data into SOAP?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by O Lindfeldt, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. O Lindfeldt

    O Lindfeldt Guest

    Hi! I have a web-service for invoices and a submit method (something)
    like this, in VB.Net.

    <WebMethod()> _
    Public Function SubmitInvoice(ByVal oMyInvoice As CInvoice) As String

    The invoice contains a header, and an array of "CDetailRow"-objects.

    I have two question about this sollution:

    1. When I want to make the WS-call from another .NET system - I would
    really like to 'stream' or just dump a large block of XML data (that
    is - not a actual String object - but an already serialized CInvoice
    object!) into this method - rather than filling up the memory with
    overweight and stateful CInvoice objects.
    (yeah I know -- .NET objects is quite fast, compared to VB6/COM, but
    we need to be optimal this time).
    So, how would I go about if I want to do a SqlCommand.ExecuteXmlReader
    to get the XML, then pump the data in to this Webmethod?
    (Please don't tell me to use a generic Xml.XmlNode [that likes
    porn.xml as much as invoice.xml] or String in the WebMethod, I already
    know this is possible but we don't want that. Sorry.)
    (My dream here is to use a "XSD-typed XmlNode" that accepts raw XML
    and that actually is layed out like nice XML in the SOAP-msg plus
    gives us a proper and typed WSDL file... or such..)

    2. If I want to expose this to another platform. Let's say something
    built in Java or Domino - can they easily make the call using XML -
    without them having to bother about how my .NET objects like to be
    serialized, or for me to get worried about them getting angry on me
    because i don't follow the W3C standards?

    Any comment that could shed light on this is appreciated.
    Stupid comments like "hey! you can always use a String" is not
    required at this stage in our project.

    O. Lindfeldt

    O Lindfeldt, Sep 18, 2003