    Brian Marick
    Consulting, training, and contracting
    www.testing.com, www.testing.com/cgi-bin/blog

    Brian Marick, May 14, 2004

  2. Brian Marick

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <>,
    Brian Marick <> wrote:
    >I wrote an article introducing testers to Ruby by way of showing how
    >you can use it for exploratory testing of Google's web services
    >interface.

    I just took a quick look and the ideas look very interesting (using irb to
    'explore' ).

    >This is part of my ever-faltering effort to make Ruby the
    >scripting language of choice for testers.

    Oh, I dunno, I'd like to think that we're making some progress. ;-)
    The more exposure Ruby gets, the more people try it and as people try it a
    good percentage of them end up really liking it. We need more articles
    like this.

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, May 14, 2004

  3. il Fri, 14 May 2004 11:20:45 +0900, Brian Marick
    <> ha scritto::

    >I wrote an article introducing testers to Ruby by way of showing how
    >you can use it for exploratory testing of Google's web services
    >interface. This is part of my ever-faltering effort to make Ruby the
    >scripting language of choice for testers. You might know a tester you
    >can pass it along to.

    really interesting, thanks for this.

    And it is really close to the way I usually use google's SOAP apis,
    apart from using
    my_driver.methods false
    to check just the methods I need :)

    gabriele renzi, May 14, 2004
  4. Brian Marick wrote:

    > <http://www.testing.com/writings/behind-the-screens.pdf>

    That's amazing. Very well looking visuals and the text is very clear and
    still provides a good insight to Ruby. I'll definitely recommend this
    article to others who are interested in Ruby, Testing or both.

    Some minor nitpicking:

    > The command tells Ruby that I’m going to use the WSDL package.
    > The value true means that the package is available for use.

    I'd prefer this because it's slightly more correct (require will return
    false if the package was already available before):

    The value true means that the package is now available for use.

    > “Make a new factory for WSDL drivers using the variable
    > wsdl that I just created.”

    Hm, this might create confusion about variables actually being Objects
    (instead of names for Objects), I suggest using this instead:

    “Make a new factory for WSDL drivers using the location
    that I just assigned to the variable wsdl.”

    Apropos exploratory testing:

    I'm currently embedding Ruby tests cloaked as examples into the
    documentation of my libraries. This gives both my users and me
    advantages. (I get all the benefits of being able to use Unit Testing,
    because I can automatically extract and run those test cases, and my
    users will always have documentation that's in sync with the interface
    of my library.)

    Thanks again for that very interesting read. :)

    Regards,
    Florian Gross

    Florian Gross, May 14, 2004
  5. Brian Marick

    Phil Tomson Guest

    >Apropos exploratory testing:
    >
    >I'm currently embedding Ruby tests cloaked as examples into the
    >documentation of my libraries. This gives both my users and me
    >advantages. (I get all the benefits of being able to use Unit Testing,
    >because I can automatically extract and run those test cases, and my
    >users will always have documentation that's in sync with the interface
    >of my library.)

    That would make an interesting article as well. Write it up.

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, May 14, 2004
  6. Brian Marick

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <>,
    Brian Marick <> wrote:
    >I wrote an article introducing testers to Ruby by way of showing how
    >you can use it for exploratory testing of Google's web services
    >interface. This is part of my ever-faltering effort to make Ruby the
    >scripting language of choice for testers. You might know a tester you
    >can pass it along to.
    >
    ><http://www.testing.com/writings/behind-the-screens.pdf>

    One thing you might want to mention...

    I just tried to run your first wsdl example to connect with google and it
    didn't work for me because I'm behind a firewall. You might want to
    mention this as a potential problem and offer a quck workaround (I
    imagine soap/wsdlDriver has some way to setup a proxy, but I don't know it
    right off hand.) Otherwise someone who tries it and has the same problem
    might just give up on the rest of your article.

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, May 14, 2004
  7. Phil Tomson wrote:

    >>I'm currently embedding Ruby tests cloaked as examples into the
    >>documentation of my libraries. This gives both my users and me
    >>advantages. (I get all the benefits of being able to use Unit Testing,
    >>because I can automatically extract and run those test cases, and my
    >>users will always have documentation that's in sync with the interface
    >>of my library.)

    > That would make an interesting article as well. Write it up.

    Heh, thanks. I'll to do that as soon as I've got this in a polished
    state. (I doubt that anybody would want to use it in its current state
    which doesn't feel as comfortable as one would want it to... :))

    Regards,
    Florian Gross

    Florian Gross, May 15, 2004
  8. Hi,

    Phil Tomson wrote:
    > I just tried to run your first wsdl example to connect with google and it
    > didn't work for me because I'm behind a firewall. You might want to
    > mention this as a potential problem and offer a quck workaround (I
    > imagine soap/wsdlDriver has some way to setup a proxy, but I don't know it
    > right off hand.) Otherwise someone who tries it and has the same problem
    > might just give up on the rest of your article.

    Set environment variables like this;

    $ soap_use_proxy=on http_proxy=http://proxy:8080 ruby wsdlDriver.rb

    Your shell could expect 'env' at the head.

    % env soap_use_proxy=on http_proxy=http://proxy:8080 ruby wsdlDriver.rb

    Regards,
    // NaHi

    NAKAMURA, Hiroshi, May 17, 2004
  9. Brian Marick

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <>,
    NAKAMURA, Hiroshi <> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >Phil Tomson wrote:
    >> I just tried to run your first wsdl example to connect with google and it
    >> didn't work for me because I'm behind a firewall. You might want to
    >> mention this as a potential problem and offer a quck workaround (I
    >> imagine soap/wsdlDriver has some way to setup a proxy, but I don't know it
    >> right off hand.) Otherwise someone who tries it and has the same problem
    >> might just give up on the rest of your article.

    >Set environment variables like this;
    >
    >$ soap_use_proxy=on http_proxy=http://proxy:8080 ruby wsdlDriver.rb
    >
    >Your shell could expect 'env' at the head.
    >
    >% env soap_use_proxy=on http_proxy=http://proxy:8080 ruby wsdlDriver.rb

    That's pretty easy. Thanks!

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, May 17, 2004