Export to Excel > 65000 Rows

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by hangar18, Oct 24, 2008.

  1. hangar18

    hangar18 Guest

    Hi,

    We are exporting data from a grid view to excel using the standard
    Response.Content type etc...

    But we would like to create new worksheets in case there are more than
    65000 rows.

    I know that in my webserver, MS Office is not installed.

    I am looking at the option of using Office Web Components.

    My question is:-

    Is there any other way which this can be acheived?

    Thanks

    - Soni

    hangar18, Oct 24, 2008

  2. The row limit is still in effect. You can certainly split the report over
    two or more workbooks, but the amount on a single workbook is the same.

    How to do it? I would look at third party controls personally. Software
    Artisans (www.softartisans.com) has a component callled OfficeWriter for
    Excel that is nice and rather fast. I have not played with it in recent
    years, but it is where I would personally look if I were doing this now.

    There are some UI Grids that include export to excel. Some that come to mind
    are Syncfusion's Essential Grid and Telerik's RAD Grid. I would imagine
    Infragistics, Component One, Component Art and Dev Express all have the same
    feature. You would have to ask the company(s) how they handle more than
    65,000 rows or download trial versions and play.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Subscribe to my blog

    or just read it:

    | Think outside the box! |

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer - MVP\), Oct 24, 2008

  3. hangar18

    ZSvedic Guest

    On Oct 24, 7:21 am, hangar18 <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We are exporting data from a grid view to excel using the standard
    > Response.Content type etc...
    >
    > But we would like to create new worksheets in case there are more than
    > 65000 rows.
    >
    > I know that in my webserver, MS Office is not installed.
    >
    > I am looking  at the option of using Office Web Components.
    >
    > My question is:-
    >
    > Is there any other way which this can be acheived?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > - Soni

    Hi,

    My recommendation is to use XLSX file format, OpenXML is
    largely replacing old XLS and has support for 16 million rows.
    You have my article with simple XLSX export code here:
    http://www.gemboxsoftware.com/Excel2007/DemoApp.htm

    You can read XLSX files with Excel 2003 and older
    using Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...70-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en

    If you need more advanced stuff, we have GemBox.Spreadsheet
    component which supports borders, colors, print settings etc.:
    http://www.gemboxsoftware.com/GBSpreadsheet.htm

    Hope I helped,

    --Zeljko

    ZSvedic, Oct 27, 2008
  4. hangar18

    rote Guest

    Have you taught of using SSIS(Sql server integrated Services)
    That could help alot.
    Patrick

    rote, Oct 28, 2008