Extracting a DTD from multiple files?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Vika Zafrin, Apr 15, 2004.

  1. Vika Zafrin

    Vika Zafrin Guest

    Hello, group.

    I am working with some texts, literary and otherwise, marking them up as
    I go, without a set DTD. I do not plan to have a DTD in place at all,
    at least not for the encoding part of the exercise. What I would like is
    for oXygen (which I use on Mac OS X) to "remember" the elements,
    attributes and values I've used so far in this project. I tried using
    the "project" feature, but to no avail: I can create a schema, but the
    minute I add something new and tell it to "learn," it disregards the
    schema and only remembers the tags/values used in the active document.

    Does anyone know of a tool that would extract element-etc. information
    from a _set_ of files (not just one: oXygen can do that), such that the
    software I use could look at that set and add to it dynamically?

    I know this is a lot to ask, so I'd be happy if such a tool (if it
    exists at all) would sit quietly in the background and re-create the DTD
    [or other information set] as needed, probably every five minutes or less?

    I should mention that, while I've been working with XML for a short
    while, and SGML for years, I don't know much about schemas or any other
    way to express tags besides a DTD.

    Thanks much for the help.
    -Vika Zafrin
    Vika Zafrin, Apr 15, 2004