    should proceed. Libraries I should be using/researching, etc.

    Thanks!
    Dave
    Dave, Sep 9, 2010

  2. On 9/9/2010 2:33 PM, Dave wrote:
    > Probably a bit of a basic question but I was wondering... I'm
    > looking to write a program that pulls ever-updating data from known
    > http addresses and performs calculations on that data. I've got it
    > doing what I want if I save the website and feed it to the program as
    > a file, but I'd like to automate that process if I can... have the
    > program itself reach out, pull down the data, and perform its
    > calculations by itself. This kind of access is a bit of a blind spot
    > for me, so I was wondering if there were any suggestions about how I
    > should proceed. Libraries I should be using/researching, etc.

    You should proceed to ask in a newsgroup where this is relevant, like
    one that concerns your OS. "Web access" is not defined by the C++
    language, there are no means to "pull data from http address". Your OS,
    however, provides this, obviously. Folks who program your OS should
    know what libraries/API to use for that. Good luck!

    Victor Bazarov, Sep 9, 2010

  3. Dave

    Richard Guest

    Dave <> spake the secret code
    <> thusly:

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libcurl>

    Richard, Sep 9, 2010
  4. Dave <>, on 09/09/2010 11:33:07, wrote:

    > Howdy all,
    > Probably a bit of a basic question but I was wondering... I'm
    > looking to write a program that pulls ever-updating data from known
    > http addresses and performs calculations on that data. I've got it
    > doing what I want if I save the website and feed it to the program as
    > a file, but I'd like to automate that process if I can... have the
    > program itself reach out, pull down the data, and perform its
    > calculations by itself. This kind of access is a bit of a blind spot
    > for me, so I was wondering if there were any suggestions about how I
    > should proceed. Libraries I should be using/researching, etc.

    Besides of investigating the facilities that come with your OS, as
    Victor suggested, you can also try asking "how to download a page with
    c++" (or variations thereof) to your favourite search engine. Once
    you've found something interesting (something fitting for your OS,
    eventually), download the library along with its documentation and study
    it. If you get stuck, find the appropriate forum / group / mailing-list
    for that library and ask your questions there, good luck!

    Francesco S. Carta, Sep 9, 2010