Fail to install postgres gem

Damian Terentyev

Good day!
I have problems installing postgres gem.
It seems that gem cannot find my PostgreSQL installation.
Please tell me what options can I give to gem. Gem manual doesn't help.

I'm getting the following:

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)

ruby extconf.rb install postgres
checking for cygwin32_socket() in -lwsock32... no
checking for socket() in -lsocket... no
checking for gethostbyname() in -linet... no
checking for gethostbyname() in -lnsl... no
checking for sys/un.h... yes
checking for socket()... yes
checking for hsterror()... no
checking for gethostname()... yes
checking for PQsetdbLogin() in -lpq... no
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
--with-opt-dir
--without-opt-dir
--with-opt-include
--without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
--with-opt-lib
--without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
--with-make-prog
--without-make-prog
--srcdir=.
--curdir
--ruby=/usr/local/bin/ruby
--with-pgsql-dir
--without-pgsql-dir
--with-pgsql-include
--without-pgsql-include=${pgsql-dir}/include
--with-pgsql-lib
--without-pgsql-lib=${pgsql-dir}/lib
--with-wsock32lib
--without-wsock32lib
--with-socketlib
--without-socketlib
--with-inetlib
--without-inetlib
--with-nsllib
--without-nsllib
--with-pgsql-include-dir
--without-pgsql-include-dir
--with-pgsql-lib-dir
--without-pgsql-lib-dir
--with-pqlib
--without-pqlib
Could not find PostgreSQL libraries: Makefile not created

Gem files will remain installed in
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/postgres-0.7.1 for inspection.
Results logged to
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/postgres-0.7.1/gem_make.out

Yours sincerely,
Damian/Three-eyed Fish

Vladimir Konrad

i usually install this from source (not as a gem) - this way i can
specify where the postgresql header files and libraries live (i usually
also build the postgresql from source).

just download the source from http://ruby.scripting.ca/postgres/ and
follow the instructions in README file.

hope this helps,

vlad

Tom Copeland

Gem files will remain installed in
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/postgres-0.7.1 for inspection.

Hm, seems like it's not finding the PostgreSQL header and object files.
You can probably get it to work by moving into that directory
(/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/postgres-0.7.1) and running:

ruby extconf.rb --with-pgsql-include-dir=/path/to/pgsql/headers
--with-pgsql-lib-dir=/path/to/pgsql/shared_libs

and then run "make" and "make install".

Yours,

Tom

Damian Terentyev

Hm, seems like it's not finding the PostgreSQL header and object files.
You can probably get it to work by moving into that directory
(/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/postgres-0.7.1) and running:

ruby extconf.rb --with-pgsql-include-dir=/path/to/pgsql/headers
--with-pgsql-lib-dir=/path/to/pgsql/shared_libs

and then run "make" and "make install".

Yours,

Tom

Thank you so much!
Worked.

Yours sincerely,
Damian/Three-eyed Fish

George Ogata

Hm, seems like it's not finding the PostgreSQL header and object files.
You can probably get it to work by moving into that directory
(/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/postgres-0.7.1) and running:

ruby extconf.rb --with-pgsql-include-dir=/path/to/pgsql/headers
--with-pgsql-lib-dir=/path/to/pgsql/shared_libs

and then run "make" and "make install".

You can also achieve the same thing in one step with gem by passing
the extconf args after '--':

gem install postgres -- --with-pgsql-include-dir=...