Failed access to IIS metabase problem - Can anyone help please

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Stephen, Jan 24, 2007.

  1. Stephen

    Stephen Guest

    Server Error in '/FifthValley' Application.

    Failed to access IIS metabase.

    Exception Details: System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironmentException: Failed to
    access IIS metabase.

    The process account used to run ASP.NET must have read access to the IIS
    metabase (e.g. IIS://servername/W3SVC). For information on modifying metabase
    permissions, please see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267904.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [HostingEnvironmentException: Failed to access IIS metabase.]
    System.Web.Configuration.MetabaseServerConfig.MapPathCaching(String
    siteID, VirtualPath path) +3492138

    System.Web.Configuration.MetabaseServerConfig.System.Web.Configuration.IConfigMapPath.MapPath(String siteID, VirtualPath vpath) +9
    System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.MapPathActual(VirtualPath
    virtualPath, Boolean permitNull) +163
    System.Web.CachedPathData.GetConfigPathData(String configPath) +382
    System.Web.CachedPathData.GetConfigPathData(String configPath) +243
    System.Web.CachedPathData.GetApplicationPathData() +68
    System.Web.CachedPathData.GetVirtualPathData(VirtualPath virtualPath,
    Boolean permitPathsOutsideApp) +3385647
    System.Web.Configuration.RuntimeConfig.GetLKGRuntimeConfig(VirtualPath
    path) +189

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
    Version:2.0.50727.42
    --
    Regards
    Stephen

    Stephen, Jan 24, 2007

  2. Stephen

    Consultant Guest

    grant the local users group read access to metabase.xml

    Consultant, Jan 24, 2007

  3. Stephen

    Consultant Guest

    also, check this out to dial in your permissions:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...77-4a21-4066-bd22-b931f7572e9a&DisplayLang=en

    Consultant, Jan 24, 2007
  4. Stephen

    Consultant Guest

    c:\windows\system32\inetsrv

    Consultant, Jan 24, 2007
  5. Stephen

    Consultant Guest

    did you run thru the tool on it? check registry, file permissions, kerberos,
    etc..?

    Consultant, Jan 24, 2007
  6. Stephen

    Stephen Guest

    hello there
    we have resolved the issue and did this by re-installing asp.net 2 the
    install was corrupt . i believe that it was installed in the incorrect order
    we were using iso images of the operating system that iis was not running on
    and were running iis after asp.net was installed ,,,making sure iis is
    running before installing the asp.net 2.0 resolved our issue
    --
    Regards
    Stephen

    Stephen, Jan 25, 2007
  7. Stephen

    Mike Dunk Guest

    Thank you Dominick and Consultant for your help. I'm using IIS V5.1, so I
    found metabase.bin in C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv and made sure the local
    users have access to it.

    Mike Dunk, Jan 25, 2007
  8. Stephen

    Guest

    This error occurs when the .NET framework has been installed before
    IIS was installed. I had this isse with a new Windows XP machine,
    where the .NET framework was pre-installed but IIS had not been
    configured.

    Run these commands from the .NET VS2005 command prompt or from
    the .NET framework folder under
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322 for .NET 1.1
    OR
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 for .NET 2.0

    You only need to run these commands for the framework you would like
    your web apps to target.

    aspnet_regiis -i
    this may not be strictly required, but do it to be sure
    aspnet_regiis -ga <THEUSERNAMEINUPPERCASE>

    Of course reinstalling the .NET framework would achieve the same
    result.

    , Mar 13, 2007