"Failed to access IIS metabase" error after upgrading Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Wayne Erfling, Nov 18, 2006.

  1. When I installed Visual Studio 2005 on Windows 2000 Pro, my asp.net 2.0 sites on http://localhost worked fine.

    Then I upgraded the OS to Windows XP Pro and now all the sites report "Failed to access IIS metabase", all the time ("file" websites work fine).

    I have already been working this problem a full day, and have already tried:
    1) "Repair" .NET Framework 2.0
    2) aspnet_regiis -ga <user> for every user on my system (starting with ASPNET, and IUSER_machin, IWAM...)
    3) aspnet_regiis -u followed by aspnet_regiis -i
    4) Deinstall and completely reinstall .NET Framework 2.0
    5) Deinstall and completely reinstall Visual Studio 2005

    I have found a reference for adding the ASPNET user as an "operator", but as IIS 5.1 does not support the Operators tab this is not possible.

    I can make the error message "Failed to access IIS metabase" go away by making the ASPNET user a member of the Administrators local group, so this is a good step for diagnosis but I don't want ASPNET to be an administrator.

    How can I set the access to the metabase manually for ASPNET?

    Other wacky idea: My OS is loaded in C:\WINNT (because of the upgrade from Win2000); could there be some hard-coded "C:\Windows" somewhere in aspnet_regiis that derails my attempts?

    Thanks for any help!

    ---Wayne

    Wayne Erfling, Nov 18, 2006