    Habt ihr eine Idee, woher das kommen kann (im IE funktioniert die Seite einwandfrei).

    Vielen Dank für eure Tipps.

    *Daniel*

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=, Nov 17, 2003

  2. Daniel Müller wrote:
    > Hallo!

    Opps, sorry i forgot that this is an english newsgroup...

    Well so now my problem in english:

    The Website http://www.d4fclub.de/galerie is not correctly shown
    in the Safari-Browser on Mac and in the Netscape Navigator (7.1) on PC:
    The content (apart from the CSS-Layer with a fixed y-postion) is shown
    approx. 400 pixel below the top of the page. So you only see the white background
    of the page.

    Do you have an idea why this is so (in IE the website works perfect)?

    Thanks for you help!

    *Daniel*

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=, Nov 17, 2003

  3. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=

    rf Guest

    "Daniel Müller" <> wrote in message
    > Daniel Müller wrote:
    > > Hallo!

    > Opps, sorry i forgot that this is an english newsgroup...
    >
    > Well so now my problem in english:
    >
    > The Website http://www.d4fclub.de/galerie is not correctly shown

    Rewrite the entire thing from the ground up.

    You don't need to pull such silly tricks.

    rf, Nov 17, 2003
  4. rf wrote:

    > Rewrite the entire thing from the ground up.
    > You don't need to pull such silly tricks.

    Thanx. Your answer has helped very much :-(

    *Daniel*

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=, Nov 18, 2003
  5. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=

    > rf wrote:
    >
    > > Rewrite the entire thing from the ground up.
    > > You don't need to pull such silly tricks.

    > Thanx. Your answer has helped very much :-(

    Oh, I'm sorry, I should have been more specific :)

    I load your page (dismissing the activeX control) and see a standard fixed
    width last century style page. Suddenly some huge wart of a thing containing
    [1] what looks like a login form slides right across my canvas, wasting an
    entire 5 seconds of my time, and lands itself directly on top of some images
    I was going to look at. Hardly condusive to pleasureable viewing.

    [1] This wart does not actually fully contain its content. The text spills
    out of the orange box. This is because I have chosen to ignore your font
    size of 12 pixels. I like my font a little larger.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 18, 2003
  6. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Sometime around Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:57:30 GMT, rf is reported to have
    stated:

    > I load your page (dismissing the activeX control) and see a standard fixed
    > width last century style page. Suddenly some huge wart of a thing containing
    > [1] what looks like a login form slides right across my canvas, wasting an
    > entire 5 seconds of my time, and lands itself directly on top of some images
    > I was going to look at. Hardly condusive to pleasureable viewing.

    All I saw was the login form sliding across my screen. The rest of the
    screen is blank.

    Then I scrolled down and realised the actual content of the page is another
    screen or so further down, with the same amount of white space below it as
    above.

    To the OP: In case you haven't got the message yet, your entire design
    needs to be rethought. And tested in browsers other than IE.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Nov 18, 2003
  7. Mark Parnell wrote:
    > All I saw was the login form sliding across my screen. The rest of the
    > screen is blank.

    That was what I was talking about - that was the problem when browsing
    with another browser than IE.

    > To the OP: In case you haven't got the message yet, your entire design
    > needs to be rethought. And tested in browsers other than IE.

    Well I know that too, that this website only works correctly in IE, but I
    was wondering <why> there is this blank part at the top of the pages?
    So does anyone know why?

    *Daniel*

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=, Nov 19, 2003
  8. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=

    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    > > All I saw was the login form sliding across my screen. The rest of the
    > > screen is blank.

    > That was what I was talking about - that was the problem when browsing
    > with another browser than IE.
    >
    > > To the OP: In case you haven't got the message yet, your entire design
    > > needs to be rethought. And tested in browsers other than IE.

    > Well I know that too, that this website only works correctly in IE, but I
    > was wondering <why> there is this blank part at the top of the pages?
    > So does anyone know why?

    This is what is causing it:

    MARGINHEIGHT=600

    I found it in your <body> tag. Remove it and all is OK :)

    Why did you put it in there anyway?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 19, 2003
  9. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Sometime around Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:49:23 +0100, Daniel Müller is reported
    to have stated:

    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    >> All I saw was the login form sliding across my screen. The rest of the
    >> screen is blank.

    > That was what I was talking about - that was the problem when browsing
    > with another browser than IE.

    Apologies - I got lost between your fir^H^H^Hsecond post and here. :)

    Richard has already given you the solution, so no need to go there. Though
    all those attributes should be removed and replaced with CSS. But I still
    believe the design needs rethinking. Why would you want the login form to
    obscure part of the rest of the page?

    Mark Parnell, Nov 19, 2003
  10. rf wrote:

    > This is what is causing it:
    >
    > MARGINHEIGHT=600
    >
    > I found it in your <body> tag. Remove it and all is OK :)

    Thank you. Stupid mistake.

    > Why did you put it in there anyway?

    I didn't want to, it was a mistake. It should be 10 and not 600.

    Thanx again.
    *Daniel*

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=, Nov 19, 2003
  11. Mark Parnell wrote:
    > Though all those attributes should be removed and replaced with CSS.

    I also use css for that (in a sepearte css-file), but i want to stay compatible
    with old browser (as far as i can), that's why i used those old attributes.

    *Daniel*

    PS: The login is only moving as long as you have not locked in. This way
    i want to remind and "force" the users to login... :)

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=, Nov 19, 2003
  12. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Sometime around Thu, 20 Nov 2003 00:43:28 +0100, Daniel Müller is reported
    to have stated:
    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    >> Though all those attributes should be removed and replaced with CSS.

    > I also use css for that (in a sepearte css-file), but i want to stay compatible
    > with old browser (as far as i can), that's why i used those old attributes.

    Which old browsers? Anything from v5 up should cope with basic CSS like
    that. NS4 may even cope (haven't tried). You page doesn't look very good in
    NS4 anyway, but the number of people still using it is negligible.

    > PS: The login is only moving as long as you have not locked in. This way
    > i want to remind and "force" the users to login... :)

    I can understand that, and if it is only registered users who will be
    visiting the site, then fine. But as a *potential* registered user, it is
    just annoying. I would go elsewhere.

    Just some food for thought, and all IMHO of course. :)

    HTH

    Mark Parnell, Nov 20, 2003
  13. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=

    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    >
    > PS: The login is only moving as long as you have not locked in. This way
    > i want to remind and "force" the users to login... :)

    Why? Attempt to force *me* to login just to have a look at a site and I am
    long gone :)

    And why do you actually require me to login? That is not what the web is
    about.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 20, 2003
  14. rf wrote:
    > And why do you actually require me to login? That is not what the web
    > is about.

    Because e.g. the chat only works if you are registered with a nick, you can order
    photos, you can open polls an you get an email-address. All this wouldn't be
    possible with anonymous visitors.

    *Daniel*

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=, Nov 20, 2003
  15. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=

    > rf wrote:
    > > And why do you actually require me to login? That is not what the web
    > > is about.

    > Because e.g. the chat only works if you are registered with a nick, you

    can order
    > photos, you can open polls an you get an email-address. All this wouldn't

    be
    > possible with anonymous visitors.

    Then why don't you poke up that login wart when I actually do something that
    *requires* the login. The front page does not.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 20, 2003
  16. rf wrote:
    > Then why don't you poke up that login wart when I actually do
    > something that *requires* the login. The front page does not.

    Good idea. I will think about that...

    *Daniel*

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=, Nov 20, 2003