Falsche Darstellung in Netscape, Safari

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=

Hallo!

Ich hoffe ich bin hier richtig mit meinem Problem.... Es könnte natürlich
auch an CSS und Javascript liegen, aber in erster Linie denke ich, könnte
es ein Fehler im HTML-Quellcode sein.

Bei der Seite http://www.d4fclub.de/galerie wird der "eigentliche Inhalt" auf dem
Mac im Safari-Browser und auf dem PC im Netscape Navigator (7.1)
erst nach ca. 400 Pixel (von Seitenanfang gesehen) angezeigt. Man sieht
im Browser also erst nur den weißen Hintergrund (abgesehen von dem CSS-Layer
der oben positioniert ist).

Habt ihr eine Idee, woher das kommen kann (im IE funktioniert die Seite einwandfrei).

Vielen Dank für eure Tipps.

*Daniel*

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=

Daniel said:

Opps, sorry i forgot that this is an english newsgroup...

Well so now my problem in english:

The Website http://www.d4fclub.de/galerie is not correctly shown
in the Safari-Browser on Mac and in the Netscape Navigator (7.1) on PC:
The content (apart from the CSS-Layer with a fixed y-postion) is shown
approx. 400 pixel below the top of the page. So you only see the white background
of the page.

Do you have an idea why this is so (in IE the website works perfect)?

Thanks for you help!

*Daniel*

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=

rf said:
Rewrite the entire thing from the ground up.
You don't need to pull such silly tricks.

Thanx. Your answer has helped very much :-(

*Daniel*

rf

Daniel Müller said:
Thanx. Your answer has helped very much :-(

Oh, I'm sorry, I should have been more specific :)

I load your page (dismissing the activeX control) and see a standard fixed
width last century style page. Suddenly some huge wart of a thing containing
[1] what looks like a login form slides right across my canvas, wasting an
entire 5 seconds of my time, and lands itself directly on top of some images
I was going to look at. Hardly condusive to pleasureable viewing.

[1] This wart does not actually fully contain its content. The text spills
out of the orange box. This is because I have chosen to ignore your font
size of 12 pixels. I like my font a little larger.

Cheers
Richard.

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:57:30 GMT, rf is reported to have
stated:
I load your page (dismissing the activeX control) and see a standard fixed
width last century style page. Suddenly some huge wart of a thing containing
[1] what looks like a login form slides right across my canvas, wasting an
entire 5 seconds of my time, and lands itself directly on top of some images
I was going to look at. Hardly condusive to pleasureable viewing.

All I saw was the login form sliding across my screen. The rest of the
screen is blank.

Then I scrolled down and realised the actual content of the page is another
screen or so further down, with the same amount of white space below it as
above.

To the OP: In case you haven't got the message yet, your entire design
needs to be rethought. And tested in browsers other than IE.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=

Mark said:
All I saw was the login form sliding across my screen. The rest of the
screen is blank.
That was what I was talking about - that was the problem when browsing
with another browser than IE.
To the OP: In case you haven't got the message yet, your entire design
needs to be rethought. And tested in browsers other than IE.
Well I know that too, that this website only works correctly in IE, but I
was wondering <why> there is this blank part at the top of the pages?
So does anyone know why?

*Daniel*

rf

Daniel Müller said:
That was what I was talking about - that was the problem when browsing
with another browser than IE.
Well I know that too, that this website only works correctly in IE, but I
was wondering <why> there is this blank part at the top of the pages?
So does anyone know why?

This is what is causing it:

MARGINHEIGHT=600

I found it in your <body> tag. Remove it and all is OK :)

Why did you put it in there anyway?

Cheers
Richard.

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:49:23 +0100, Daniel Müller is reported
to have stated:
That was what I was talking about - that was the problem when browsing
with another browser than IE.

Apologies - I got lost between your fir^H^H^Hsecond post and here. :)

Richard has already given you the solution, so no need to go there. Though
all those attributes should be removed and replaced with CSS. But I still
believe the design needs rethinking. Why would you want the login form to
obscure part of the rest of the page?

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=

rf said:
This is what is causing it:

MARGINHEIGHT=600

I found it in your <body> tag. Remove it and all is OK :)
Thank you. Stupid mistake.
Why did you put it in there anyway?
I didn't want to, it was a mistake. It should be 10 and not 600.

Thanx again.
*Daniel*

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=

Mark said:
Though all those attributes should be removed and replaced with CSS.
I also use css for that (in a sepearte css-file), but i want to stay compatible
with old browser (as far as i can), that's why i used those old attributes.

*Daniel*

PS: The login is only moving as long as you have not locked in. This way
i want to remind and "force" the users to login... :)

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Thu, 20 Nov 2003 00:43:28 +0100, Daniel Müller is reported
to have stated:
I also use css for that (in a sepearte css-file), but i want to stay compatible
with old browser (as far as i can), that's why i used those old attributes.

Which old browsers? Anything from v5 up should cope with basic CSS like
that. NS4 may even cope (haven't tried). You page doesn't look very good in
NS4 anyway, but the number of people still using it is negligible.
PS: The login is only moving as long as you have not locked in. This way
i want to remind and "force" the users to login... :)

I can understand that, and if it is only registered users who will be
visiting the site, then fine. But as a *potential* registered user, it is
just annoying. I would go elsewhere.

Just some food for thought, and all IMHO of course. :)

HTH

rf

Daniel Müller said:
Mark Parnell wrote:

PS: The login is only moving as long as you have not locked in. This way
i want to remind and "force" the users to login... :)

Why? Attempt to force *me* to login just to have a look at a site and I am
long gone :)

And why do you actually require me to login? That is not what the web is
about.

Cheers
Richard.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=

rf said:
And why do you actually require me to login? That is not what the web
is about.
Because e.g. the chat only works if you are registered with a nick, you can order
photos, you can open polls an you get an email-address. All this wouldn't be
possible with anonymous visitors.

*Daniel*

rf

Daniel Müller said:
Because e.g. the chat only works if you are registered with a nick, you can order
photos, you can open polls an you get an email-address. All this wouldn't be
possible with anonymous visitors.

Then why don't you poke up that login wart when I actually do something that
*requires* the login. The front page does not.

Cheers
Richard.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Daniel_M=FCller?=

rf said:
Then why don't you poke up that login wart when I actually do
something that *requires* the login. The front page does not.
Good idea. I will think about that...

*Daniel*