FAQ 2.12 Which magazines have Perl content?

PerlFAQ Server

This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq2.pod, which
perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

2.12: Which magazines have Perl content?

*The Perl Review* ( http://www.theperlreview.com ) focuses on Perl
almost completely (although it sometimes sneaks in an article about
another language). There's also *$foo Magazin*, a german magazine
dedicated to Perl, at ( http://www.foo-magazin.de ).

The *Perl-Zeitung* is a German-speaking magazine for Perl beginners (see
http://perl-zeitung.at.tf ).

Magazines that frequently carry quality articles on Perl include *The
Perl Review* ( http://www.theperlreview.com ), *Unix Review* (
http://www.unixreview.com/ ), *Linux Magazine* (
http://www.linuxmagazine.com/ ), and Usenix's newsletter/magazine to its
members, *login:* ( http://www.usenix.org/ ).

The Perl columns of Randal L. Schwartz are available on the web at
http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/ ,
http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/UnixReview/ , and
http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/ .

The first (and for a long time, only) periodical devoted to All Things
Perl, *The Perl Journal* contains tutorials, demonstrations, case
studies, announcements, contests, and much more. *TPJ* has columns on
web development, databases, Win32 Perl, graphical programming, regular
expressions, and networking, and sponsors the Obfuscated Perl Contest
and the Perl Poetry Contests. Beginning in November 2002, *TPJ* moved to
a reader-supported monthly e-zine format in which subscribers can
download issues as PDF documents. In 2006, *TPJ* merged with Dr. Dobbs
Journal (online edition). To read old *TPJ* articles, see
http://www.ddj.com/ , brian d foy's index of online TPJ content (
http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=711609 ).

Working code is greatly appreciated.

perlfaq.pod.

thegist

This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq2.pod, which
perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

2.12: Which magazines have Perl content?

*The Perl Review* ( http://www.theperlreview.com ) focuses on Perl
almost completely (although it sometimes sneaks in an article about
another language). There's also *$foo Magazin*, a german magazine
dedicated to Perl, at ( http://www.foo-magazin.de ).
Doesn't the current faq maintainer also run tpr?
Why doesn't he update this with the fact that tpr hasn't published
an issue in over a year and had been barely surviving on life support
for years before then?
Why not just pull the plug and officially announce tpr is dead?

[useful info for germans snipped]
The first (and for a long time, only) periodical devoted to All Things
Perl, *The Perl Journal* contains tutorials, demonstrations, case
studies, announcements, contests, and much more. *TPJ* has columns on
web development, databases, Win32 Perl, graphical programming, regular
expressions, and networking, and sponsors the Obfuscated Perl Contest
and the Perl Poetry Contests. Beginning in November 2002, *TPJ* moved to
a reader-supported monthly e-zine format in which subscribers can
download issues as PDF documents. In 2006, *TPJ* merged with Dr. Dobbs
Journal (online edition). To read old *TPJ* articles, see
http://www.ddj.com/ , brian d foy's index of online TPJ content (
http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=711609 ).

The links are fine I guess...I didn't see if they actually lead to the
content
you claim they do.
When mentioning tpj why not mention that O'Reilly has collected and
published
the best articles into three volumes?
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596003104/ is one of tehse three, for
example.

brian d foy

2.12: Which magazines have Perl content?

*The Perl Review* ]
[/QUOTE]
Doesn't the current faq maintainer also run tpr?
Why doesn't he update this with the fact that tpr hasn't published
an issue in over a year and had been barely surviving on life support
for years before then?

Well, it was never barely surviving, but people wanted more web stuff
and less print stuff. Still, that means it's not a magazine so no one
should call it that. As for why: I don't comb the FAQ for updates. I
fix problems when people point them out. :)

..
When mentioning tpj why not mention that O'Reilly has collected and
published
the best articles into three volumes?

Because that's the job of perlbooks.pod :)

Justin C

2.12: Which magazines have Perl content?
[snip]

In 2006, *TPJ* merged with Dr. Dobbs
Journal (online edition). To read old *TPJ* articles, see
http://www.ddj.com/ , brian d foy's index of online TPJ content (
http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=711609 ).

As we're picking holes in this one today :)

That last link to perlmonks.org works, but some of the links from that
page are 404 (I started at the bottom of the main list, those at the top
seem OK, but I didn't have the patience to check them all).

Justin.