FAQ 5.42 How do I delete a directory tree?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by PerlFAQ Server, Mar 25, 2011.

  1. This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq5.pod, which
    perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

    5.42: How do I delete a directory tree?

    (contributed by brian d foy)

    If you have an empty directory, you can use Perl's built-in "rmdir". If
    the directory is not empty (so, no files or subdirectories), you either
    have to empty it yourself (a lot of work) or use a module to help you.

    The "File::path" module, which comes with Perl, has a "remove_tree"
    which can take care of all of the hard work for you:

    use File::path qw(remove_tree);

    remove_tree( @directories );

    The "File::path" module also has a legacy interface to the older
    "rmtree" subroutine.

    Working code is greatly appreciated.

    perlfaq.pod.

    PerlFAQ Server, Mar 25, 2011