FAQ 9.3 Updated

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Randy Webb, Dec 16, 2006.

  1. Randy Webb

    Randy Webb Guest

    FAQ Version 9.3 Dated 2006-12-13 is now at <URL:
    http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html> instead of in the newfaq folder.
    The newfaq folder version will stay for about a week and then the entire
    folder will cease to exist. For some reason, when I use the URL
    http://jibbering.com/faq/ I get the old version but specifying the
    filename gives me the new version. Not sure if that is something
    specific to me or something I screwed up.

    Jim?

    The next project is to start on 10.0 which will be a reformatted
    document with a lot of the link sections made into lists. Re-organizing
    section 4 so that related subjects are grouped together (such as 4.34
    and 4.44 being grouped together).

    The code being reviewed to use better variable names to gear it towards
    the newbe that the FAQ is intended for and moving any long winded code
    sections to a Notes page to minimize the size of the FAQ index file
    itself. Right now, the FAQ document is approaching 70K (depending on how
    you read the file size) and to me that is getting too large for a single
    FAQ document.

    It will also use word hashes rather than numbered hashes along with a
    script block that will redirect old hash numbers to the new word hashes
    so that old links in the archives will continue "working".

    One thought I have in mind is to make a Notes page for each section of 4
    so that it can be expanded on without making the FAQ itself grow
    larger. The file name for each section would be the same as the hash
    name for that section.

    Example: Section 4.44 could have a hash of "#ajax" and the Notes page
    would be named ajax.html, Section 4.12 could be rehashed to "#parseInt"
    and the associated Notes page would be named parseInt.html and so on.

    Thoughts, suggestions, or ideas?

    --
    Randy
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

    Randy Webb, Dec 16, 2006

  2. In comp.lang.javascript message <>,
    Fri, 15 Dec 2006 23:07:21, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    >FAQ Version 9.3 Dated 2006-12-13 is now at <URL:
    >http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html> instead of in the newfaq folder.
    >The newfaq folder version will stay for about a week and then the
    >entire folder will cease to exist. For some reason, when I use the URL
    >http://jibbering.com/faq/ I get the old version but specifying the
    >filename gives me the new version. Not sure if that is something
    >specific to me or something I screwed up.

    ISTM better to give the full URL, with index.html, anyway.

    >The code being reviewed to use better variable names to gear it towards
    >the newbe

    ^^^^^
    That's not really an English word (and it's not in my larger Webster
    either) - but the accepted spelling in News is "newbie".

    >It will also use word hashes rather than numbered hashes along with a
    >script block that will redirect old hash numbers to the new word hashes
    >so that old links in the archives will continue "working".

    ISTM unsound, given that most Javascript authors will have access to
    multiple machines some of which may not implement Javascript, to make
    correct FAQ operation rely on Javascript being enabled. You only need
    to mark the beginning of each sub-section with anchors of both types :
    e.g. <a name="WRITW">Why Re-Invent the Wheel</a><a name="FAQ9_99"</a>.

    >One thought I have in mind is to make a Notes page for each section of
    >4 so that it can be expanded on without making the FAQ itself grow
    >larger. The file name for each section would be the same as the hash
    >name for that section.
    >
    >Example: Section 4.44 could have a hash of "#ajax" and the Notes page
    >would be named ajax.html, Section 4.12 could be rehashed to "#parseInt"
    >and the associated Notes page would be named parseInt.html and so on.
    >
    >Thoughts, suggestions, or ideas?

    Notes pages should identify author/maintainer and date of last change.

    Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;

    Dr J R Stockton, Dec 16, 2006

  3. Randy Webb

    Randy Webb Guest

    Dr J R Stockton said the following on 12/16/2006 6:45 PM:
    > In comp.lang.javascript message <>,
    > Fri, 15 Dec 2006 23:07:21, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    >> FAQ Version 9.3 Dated 2006-12-13 is now at <URL:
    >> http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html> instead of in the newfaq folder.
    >> The newfaq folder version will stay for about a week and then the
    >> entire folder will cease to exist. For some reason, when I use the URL
    >> http://jibbering.com/faq/ I get the old version but specifying the
    >> filename gives me the new version. Not sure if that is something
    >> specific to me or something I screwed up.

    > ISTM better to give the full URL, with index.html, anyway.

    Then why do none of the signatures I looked at of yours from recent
    posts not specify the filename? They all refer to http://jibbering.com/faq/
    In fact, a search of the archives for your name and
    http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html turns up two threads, this one and
    one other where you quoted someone referring to that URL, not you
    posting it.

    >> The code being reviewed to use better variable names to gear it
    >> towards the newbe

    > ^^^^^
    > That's not really an English word (and it's not in my larger Webster
    > either) - but the accepted spelling in News is "newbie".

    newbie, newbe, newbee, noobie, its all the same.

    >> It will also use word hashes rather than numbered hashes along with a
    >> script block that will redirect old hash numbers to the new word
    >> hashes so that old links in the archives will continue "working".

    > ISTM unsound, given that most Javascript authors will have access to
    > multiple machines some of which may not implement Javascript, to make
    > correct FAQ operation rely on Javascript being enabled. You only need
    > to mark the beginning of each sub-section with anchors of both types :
    > e.g. <a name="WRITW">Why Re-Invent the Wheel</a><a name="FAQ9_99"</a>.

    That was a thought I had and probably the way it will be done.

    >> One thought I have in mind is to make a Notes page for each section of
    >> 4 so that it can be expanded on without making the FAQ itself grow
    >> larger. The file name for each section would be the same as the hash
    >> name for that section.
    >>
    >> Example: Section 4.44 could have a hash of "#ajax" and the Notes page
    >> would be named ajax.html, Section 4.12 could be rehashed to
    >> "#parseInt" and the associated Notes page would be named parseInt.html
    >> and so on.
    >>
    >> Thoughts, suggestions, or ideas?

    > Notes pages should identify author/maintainer and date of last change.

    Date of last change, sure. The rest, no. The Notes pages belong to the
    FAQ, not the author. Same as was discussed the last time this came up.

    Randy Webb, Dec 17, 2006
  4. In comp.lang.javascript message <>,
    Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:29:45, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    >Dr J R Stockton said the following on 12/16/2006 6:45 PM:
    >> In comp.lang.javascript message <>,
    >>Fri, 15 Dec 2006 23:07:21, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    >>> FAQ Version 9.3 Dated 2006-12-13 is now at <URL: http://jibbering.c
    >>>om/faq/index.html>

    >> ISTM better to give the full URL, with index.html, anyway.

    >Then why do none of the signatures I looked at of yours from recent
    >posts not specify the filename? They all refer to
    >http://jibbering.com/faq/

    Well, I didn't actually know the filename, since I use for reference a
    copy following my own naming preference. And, as you should have
    noticed, there's not much room on the line; it used to identify the
    maintainer.

    >newbie, newbe, newbee, noobie, its all the same.

    Not for those who remember that the post referred to new users but do
    not recall the vagaries of your spelling, and so fail to find it be
    search.

    >>> Thoughts, suggestions, or ideas?

    >> Notes pages should identify author/maintainer and date of last
    >>change.

    >Date of last change, sure. The rest, no. The Notes pages belong to the
    >FAQ, not the author. Same as was discussed the last time this came up.

    Nothing wrong with changing one's mind when one was previously in error.
    In particular, it's convenient for every page to have the E-address for
    corrections.

    <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/index.html> news:comp.lang.javascript FAQ

    Dr J R Stockton, Dec 17, 2006
  5. Randy Webb

    Randy Webb Guest

    Dr J R Stockton said the following on 12/17/2006 3:59 PM:
    > In comp.lang.javascript message <>,
    > Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:29:45, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    >> Dr J R Stockton said the following on 12/16/2006 6:45 PM:

    >>> ISTM better to give the full URL, with index.html, anyway.

    >> Then why do none of the signatures I looked at of yours from recent
    >> posts not specify the filename? They all refer to
    >> http://jibbering.com/faq/

    > Well, I didn't actually know the filename, since I use for reference a
    > copy following my own naming preference.

    It is trivial to determine the filename. A simple look at the FTP
    listing and about 30 seconds of testing will tell you for sure.

    > And, as you should have noticed, there's not much room on the line; it
    > used to identify the maintainer.

    Yes, I see you changed it.

    >> newbie, newbe, newbee, noobie, its all the same.

    > Not for those who remember that the post referred to new users but do
    > not recall the vagaries of your spelling, and so fail to find it be
    > search.

    Then you do a better search.

    >>> Notes pages should identify author/maintainer and date of last
    >>> change.

    >> Date of last change, sure. The rest, no. The Notes pages belong to the
    >> FAQ, not the author. Same as was discussed the last time this came up.

    > Nothing wrong with changing one's mind when one was previously in error.

    Nice to see you are considering changing your mind then. I have not
    changed mine and don't see it happening in the foreseeable future.

    > In particular, it's convenient for every page to have the E-address for
    > corrections.

    The E-address is in the FAQ itself.

    Code in the FAQ and the Notes pages belong to the FAQ, the only people
    that can be reasonably expected to be able to correct incorrect/bad code
    would be the people that have access to the server to change it. At the
    moment, to the best of my knowledge, that is Jim Ley, Randy Webb, and
    Richard Cornford. Directing an email at, say, Laurent Bugnion to change
    code in the FAQ wouldn't do a whole lot of good.

    So no, I don't see myself changing my mind about that. There is no good
    reason to indicate who wrote code in the FAQ - or the Notes - so I don't
    see a reason to waste my time trying to document it.

    Randy Webb, Dec 18, 2006