FAQ Broken?

RobG

When accessing the clj FAQ, Safari seems to only get up to the first
line of 4.28:

"4.28 How do I change the confirm box to say yes/no
or default to cancel?
"The buttons on a confirm box cannot be changed, nor can
you specify a default button. However, you shou"

And that's where it ends. Other browsers seem OK, does anyone know why
this is so?

Ian Collins

Jim said:
@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

It's broken in exactly the same way in MSIE 7 on WinXP sp2.
There isn't anything nasty in the HTML:

</h3>
The buttons on a confirm box cannot be changed, nor can you
specify a default button. However, you should be able to change
the question so that "OK" is suitable as the default.
e.g. change &quot;We will now buy ourselves a porsche with your credit
card, Do you want to continue with this transaction <em>OK</em>
Cancel&quot;
to &quot;We will now buy ourselves a porsche with your credit card,
Would you like to abandon this transaction? <em>OK</em>
Cancel&quot;

Randy Webb

Jim Land said the following on 1/22/2007 7:15 PM:
It's broken in exactly the same way in MSIE 7 on WinXP sp2.

MSIE7 7.0.5130.11 on WinXP SP2 is fine for me.

Bart Van der Donck

Jim said:
Yeah, me too. Including the "index.html" in the URL solves the problem
in MSIE7 on XP.

Same here on XP IE6; it ends on "However, you shou". FF & NS work fine.

Bart Van der Donck

RobG said:
When accessing the clj FAQ, Safari seems to only get up to the first
line of 4.28:

"4.28 How do I change the confirm box to say yes/no
or default to cancel?
"The buttons on a confirm box cannot be changed, nor can
you specify a default button. However, you shou"

And that's where it ends. Other browsers seem OK, does anyone know why
this is so?

Maybe it's a header thing.

http://www.jibbering.com/faq/index.html says for its Content-Type:

text/html (=okay)

But http://www.jibbering.com/faq/ says:

text/htmlcharset=us-ascii

AFAIK, that should be

text/html

too, or at least

text/html; charset=us-ascii

I tried to simulate the behaviour on FreeBSD4 Apache 1.3; I noticed
that this strange header can cause a number of unsuspected effects, but
not serving the document only partially. Win/IIS might behave different
in that regard when using Safari/MSIE. Maybe those both browsers send a
slightly different header set or interpret received headers in a
different way.

Gertjan Klein

RobG said:
When accessing the clj FAQ, Safari seems to only get up to the first
line of 4.28:

And that's where it ends. Other browsers seem OK, does anyone know why
this is so?

The faq seems to be 72513 characters long. The Content-Length header,
however, states it is 56950 bytes. A sniffer reveals that IE does
download the full faq, but apparently it only displays up to (roughly)
the declared content length.

(Note that I used TcpTrace to check this; when copy/pasting the faq
contents into a text file, I could not get the content length to match
that in the header with either Windows or Unix line endings, even when
appending index.html, which apparently does work.)

Gertjan.

Bart Van der Donck

Gertjan said:
The faq seems to be 72513 characters long. The Content-Length header,
however, states it is 56950 bytes. A sniffer reveals that IE does
download the full faq, but apparently it only displays up to (roughly)
the declared content length.

I can confirm your observation. Here is a simulation of
http://www.jibbering.com/faq/:

http://www.dotinternet.be/temp/simulation.pl

It serves:

[Full HTML of FAQ here]

It looks like IIS serves http://www.jibbering.com/faq/ with a bespoke
header set that doesn't comply with its content.

Richard Cornford

Randy said:
MSIE7 7.0.5130.11 on WinXP SP2 is fine for me.

Randy, check that the "index.1" file on the server is not corrupt. (I
will not have an opportunity to do it myself for at least 10 hours)

Richard.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <[email protected]
When accessing the clj FAQ, Safari seems to only get up to the first
line of 4.28:

"4.28 How do I change the confirm box to say yes/no
or default to cancel?
"The buttons on a confirm box cannot be changed, nor can
you specify a default button. However, you shou"

And that's where it ends. Other browsers seem OK, does anyone know why
this is so?

I had that. ISTR that I was using a URL that may have once been right,
but is not currently good.

In fact, the URL in (one version of) FAQ Sec 1 para 1 -
http://www.jibbering.com/faq/ - now gives me just that; but the URL in
my sig gives the full FAQ.

ISTM that Jim/Randy (but only one at a time) needs to do a tidy-up.

Your observation illustrates one reason why *all* visible/audible/other
documents need a visible/audible/other terminator, so that one can be
certain that the meat has been presented in full. All the best stories
end "The End", or "and so they all lived happily ever after.".

Randy Webb

Jim Land said the following on 1/22/2007 11:34 PM:
Yeah, me too. Including the "index.html" in the URL solves the problem
in MSIE7 on XP.

Even without the index.html I get the complete file in IE7 so not sure
what is going on.

Randy Webb

Dr J R Stockton said the following on 1/23/2007 8:29 AM:
In comp.lang.javascript message <[email protected]

I had that. ISTR that I was using a URL that may have once been right,
but is not currently good.

In fact, the URL in (one version of) FAQ Sec 1 para 1 -
http://www.jibbering.com/faq/ - now gives me just that; but the URL in
my sig gives the full FAQ.

It is changed to include the file name.
ISTM that Jim/Randy (but only one at a time) needs to do a tidy-up.

Yes, and I am slowly working on 10.0 around a work project that does do
a lot of tidying up on the FAQ itself, the server settings I would
prefer to leave to Jim and/or Richard.
Your observation illustrates one reason why *all* visible/audible/other
documents need a visible/audible/other terminator, so that one can be
certain that the meat has been presented in full. All the best stories
end "The End", or "and so they all lived happily ever after.".

If someone can give a reasonable way to do that short of a <H1>The
END!</H1> then adding some sort of ending isn't a problem. You had
suggested to me previously of adding my name in a different font but it
would need some type of indication to the user that it meant something
other than me just wanting my name fancied up.

Maybe part of Section 1 can say "If this document doesn't end with
'something' then please notify Jim/Randy/Richard".

Randy Webb

Randy Webb said the following on 1/23/2007 9:04 AM:
Dr J R Stockton said the following on 1/23/2007 8:29 AM:

It is changed to include the file name.

FAQ Version 9.4 dated 2007-01-23 is now uploaded. If you get something
different then it needs to be re-fetched from the server.

Dr J R Stockton

Signing documents is quite normal. But just said:
Maybe part of Section 1 can say "If this document doesn't end with
'something' then please notify Jim/Randy/Richard".

Since the ToC refers to ... 5.2, anyone whose suspicions have been
raised need only look for Section 5.2. If anything is there, they've
not been deprived of 1 .. 5.1. The second paragraph of 5.2 belongs
higher up.

In comp.lang.javascript message said:
Randy Webb said the following on 1/23/2007 9:04 AM:
FAQ Version 9.4 dated 2007-01-23 is now uploaded. If you get something
different then it needs to be re-fetched from the server.

So we now have two versions of 9.4. I suggest calling future ones 9.4c,
9.4d, etc.

It looks as if E-mail to you may not be working. You may have good
reasons for declining some suggestions, but I pointed out, /inter alia/,
that "enviroment" needed correction. Readers searching for
"environment" will miss those in 4.3 4.23 4.36.

Randy Webb

Dr J R Stockton said the following on 1/23/2007 4:36 PM:
Since the ToC refers to ... 5.2, anyone whose suspicions have been
raised need only look for Section 5.2. If anything is there, they've
not been deprived of 1 .. 5.1. The second paragraph of 5.2 belongs
higher up.

You are impossible sometimes.
So we now have two versions of 9.4. I suggest calling future ones 9.4c,
9.4d, etc.

Oops. An oversight on my part. It is now re-numbered 9.5 so as to keep
down on any problems.
It looks as if E-mail to you may not be working.

It is working.
You may have good reasons for declining some suggestions, but
I pointed out, /inter alia/, that "enviroment" needed correction.
Readers searching for "environment" will miss those in 4.3 4.23 4.36.

All 4 instances of the enviroment have been corrected.

9.5 Dated 2007-01-23 is now uploaded.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message said:
Dr J R Stockton said the following on 1/23/2007 4:36 PM:

You are impossible sometimes.

The heading of 5.2 is "5.2 How do I make a suggestion?"; its second
paragraph is
"The FAQ uses the stylesheet faq.css and is generated from the
xml source index.xml by the windows script host script
process.wsf which also checks the links.".
That has nothing to do with making suggestions.

The FAQ describes itself in "1 meta-FAQ meta-questions", where that
paragraph would be appropriate.

Randy Webb

Dr J R Stockton said the following on 1/24/2007 2:03 PM:
The heading of 5.2 is "5.2 How do I make a suggestion?"; its second
paragraph is
"The FAQ uses the stylesheet faq.css and is generated from the
xml source index.xml by the windows script host script
process.wsf which also checks the links.".
That has nothing to do with making suggestions.

The line you quoted had nothing to with me calling you impossible.
Re-read what I quoted. You said the document needed an ending, I asked
for a suggestion and your reply was - paraphrased - "Its fine like it
is". If it is fine like it is, yet, you said it might need changing,
that makes you impossible sometimes.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message said:
Dr J R Stockton said the following on 1/24/2007 2:03 PM:

The line you quoted had nothing to with me calling you impossible. Re-
read what I quoted. You said the document needed an ending, I asked for
a suggestion and your reply was - paraphrased - "Its fine like it is".
If it is fine like it is, yet, you said it might need changing, that
makes you impossible sometimes.

Have you looked round to see if a good EFL course is available in your
neighbourhood?