FAQ Topic - What is ECMAScript? (2008-10-02)

FAQ server

FAQ Topic - What is ECMAScript?

http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-262.htm

ECMAScript is the international standard for javascript. JScript
3.0 and JavaScript 1.2 (available with version 4. browsers) are
more or less ECMAScript compliant. In addition ECMA 327 defines
the Compact Profile of ECMAScript by describing the features from
ECMA 262 that may be omitted in some resource-constrained
environments. Note that ECMAScript did not attempt to standardize
the document object model.

The current edition is ECMA-262, 3rd Edition. There is some
support for this edition in JScript 5.0 and JavaScript 1.3.
JScript 5.5 and JavaScript 1.5, in Netscape 6.1 and later, are
compliant (JavaScript 1.5 in Netscape 6 missed some methods).

comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html.
The FAQ workers are a group of volunteers. The sendings of these
daily posts are proficiently hosted by http://www.pair.com.

dhtml

Henry

Wed, 1 Oct 2008 23:00:04, FAQ server posted:

The International Standard is ISO/IEC 16262.
<snip>

The document, ISO/IEC 16262, is titled "Information technology -
ECMAScript language specification" so whichever document is referenced
the statement "ECMAScript is the international standard for
javascript" is true.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Henry said:
<snip>

The document, ISO/IEC 16262, is titled "Information technology -
ECMAScript language specification" so whichever document is referenced
the statement "ECMAScript is the international standard for
javascript" is true.

Even if ISO/IEC 16262 was titled differently, our dear Doctor still does not
seem to understand that ECMA-262 and so forth *are* international standards
issued by the *international* standardization body named Ecma
*International*, and that the `E' for `European' in its name is only of
historical relevance since several years.

PointedEars

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <[email protected]>, Fri,
3 Oct 2008 14:02:02 said:
Even if ISO/IEC 16262 was titled differently, our dear Doctor still does not
seem to understand that ECMA-262 and so forth *are* international standards
issued by the *international* standardization body named Ecma
*International*, and that the `E' for `European' in its name is only of
historical relevance since several years.

You can call yourself Pointed Reich International if you like. That
does not make you an International Authority, merely indicating
excessive ego.

ISO is *THE* International Standards body, recognised as such by all
though otherwise ignored as far as possible by the USA.

One must accept that your understanding of English is not what it would
have been if you had chosen your parent more carefully; but the current
FAQ wording, "ECMAScript is the international standard for javascript",
clearly asserts, to the literate, that it is in this respect unique. It
could only be, at best, *an* international standard, given that an ISO
one exists.

dhtml

Henry said:
<snip>

The document, ISO/IEC 16262, is titled "Information technology -
ECMAScript language specification" so whichever document is referenced
the statement "ECMAScript is the international standard for
javascript" is true.

I have included the ISO document in the Resources section. Which
corrections have been applied? (I just skimmed through that document)

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Dr said:
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn posted:

You can call yourself Pointed Reich International if you like. That does
not make you an International Authority, merely indicating excessive ego.

You have quite an unprocessed World War II trauma to deal with, yes?
ISO is *THE* International Standards body, recognised as such by all
though otherwise ignored as far as possible by the USA.

So what? The name there is ECMAScript, not ECMA-262.
One must accept that your understanding of English is not what it would
have been if you had chosen your parent more carefully; [...]

Sometimes I can eat as much as I have to vomit when reading your "articles".
but the current FAQ wording, "ECMAScript is the international standard
for javascript", clearly asserts, to the literate, that it is in this
respect unique.

And even if we adopted your weird interpretation, that statement would still
be correct.
It could only be, at best, *an* international standard, given that an ISO
one exists.

Since *you* do not accept ECMA-262 as an international standard, *for you*
that leaves only one international one, ISO/IEC 162626. Therefore, *for
you* the FAQ statement is correct. So exactly *you* protesting against the
FAQ wording is double nonsense.

You should get yourself a better logic module if you are to indulge yourself
in tetrapilotomy further.

PointedEars

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message said:
I have included the ISO document in the Resources section. Which
corrections have been applied? (I just skimmed through that document)

I've now backfilled some of my newsbase from another server.

I only recall that there is at least one correction. Presumably they
applied all that were known at the time.