    absolutely no stress on the server during this test.

    I'm not sure what to try. I appreciate any ideas you may give me.

    , Jul 24, 2006

  2. It could be that you could be forcing a security check. IIS could be set up
    incorrectly. You might have the proxy set up correctly on your machine and
    not on the server. Etc.

    Set up trace statements around the loop and output which iteration and where
    you are. You will notice one statement (or a set) that takes a long time.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    msnews.microsoft.com, Jul 25, 2006

    msnews.microsoft.com wrote:
    > It could be that you could be forcing a security check. IIS could be set up
    > incorrectly. You might have the proxy set up correctly on your machine and
    > not on the server. Etc.
    >
    > Set up trace statements around the loop and output which iteration and where
    > you are. You will notice one statement (or a set) that takes a long time.
    >
    > --
    > Gregory A. Beamer
    > MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    > Think Outside the Box!

    IIS is set to allow anonymous at this point. I'll check the proxy when
    I get to work tomorrow, the intranet is supposed to bypass it. I'll
    see if I've got it configured correctly.

    Before I left work, I did output to a log file the date/time of each
    iteration of the loop and at various positions in the preceding logic.
    The pattern I noticed was 5 second pauses between bursts of UDP packet
    sends, around 25-30 per second with a little fluctuation. On my laptop
    it was a constant flow of sends without the 5 second interruption.

    , Jul 25, 2006

  4. > Before I left work, I did output to a log file the date/time of each
    > iteration of the loop and at various positions in the preceding logic.
    > The pattern I noticed was 5 second pauses between bursts of UDP packet
    > sends, around 25-30 per second with a little fluctuation. On my laptop
    > it was a constant flow of sends without the 5 second interruption.

    Just a thought, maybe it could have something to do with the application
    pool used? e.g. IIS pings each workerthread every 30 seconds by default.
    Changing that number might help?

    HTH,

    Bastiaan de Rijber

    news.versatel.nl, Jul 25, 2006

    > Just a thought, maybe it could have something to do with the application
    > pool used? e.g. IIS pings each workerthread every 30 seconds by default.
    > Changing that number might help?
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Bastiaan de Rijber

    I created a new app pool and turned off the health monitoring
    yesterday. That made no difference.

    However, we finally fixed it today. My partner found a beta version of
    ..Net 2.0 installed, that neither him nor I installed. We uninstalled
    it and installed the correct version of .Net 2.0. It does all 15
    thousand workstations in 8 seconds now.

    Thanks to both of you for your responses!

    , Jul 25, 2006