    <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon16.png" />
    <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon32.png" />

    August

    August Karlstrom, Oct 25, 2008

  2. August Karlstrom wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > How do I provide both a 16x16 and a 32x32 favicon in the png format? I
    > guess the following will not work:

    > <head profile="http://www.w3.org/2005/10/profile">
    > <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon16.png" />
    > <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon32.png" />

    Firefox seems to always pick the last icon irregardless of its size.

    August

    August Karlstrom, Oct 25, 2008

  3. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed August Karlstrom
    <> writing in news:gdvcoo$t2r$:

    > August Karlstrom wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> How do I provide both a 16x16 and a 32x32 favicon in the png format?

    >> guess the following will not work:

    >> <head profile="http://www.w3.org/2005/10/profile">
    >> <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon16.png" />
    >> <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon32.png" />

    > Firefox seems to always pick the last icon irregardless of its size.
    >

    > August

    AFAIK, IE only accepts true icon format, and also looks only for
    favicon.ico. I got tired of seeing 404s when IE was looking for
    favicon.ico, so I now make sure that is what it is called, and that it
    is a true icon file.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Oct 25, 2008
  4. August Karlstrom

    John Hosking Guest

    August Karlstrom wrote:
    > August Karlstrom wrote:

    >> How do I provide both a 16x16 and a 32x32 favicon in the png format? I
    >> guess the following will not work:

    >> <head profile="http://www.w3.org/2005/10/profile">

    I know the profile attribute is in the W3C Rec
    (http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#profiles), but do you
    know of anyone making actual use of it?

    >> <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon16.png" />
    >> <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon32.png" />

    > Firefox seems to always pick the last icon irregardless of its size.

    At the risk of strating a 100-post flame thread like we have over in
    a.w.webmaster, I'd like to inquire what your goal in doing this is. What
    do you expect (or hope) to happen if you can make both sizes available?

    --
    John
    I'm just curious, okay?

    John Hosking, Oct 25, 2008
  5. August Karlstrom

    C A Upsdell Guest

    August Karlstrom wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > How do I provide both a 16x16 and a 32x32 favicon in the png format? I
    > guess the following will not work:

    A single ICO file can contain several sizes of icons, and Windows picks
    the one that is appropriate. A program which creates an ICO file should
    be able to put several images into the single ICO file. I use a
    freeware program called PNG2ICO to do this. I'm sure that there are
    many alternatives.

    C A Upsdell, Oct 25, 2008
  6. August Karlstrom

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "August Karlstrom" <> wrote in message

    > Firefox seems to always pick the last icon irregardless of its size.

    I know this isn't alt.usage.english but I can't help myself...

    Use irrespective or regardless instead of irregardless, the prefix "ir-"
    means "not" so irregardless means "not regardless", probably the opposite of
    what you intended to say.

    Nik Coughlin, Oct 26, 2008
  7. August Karlstrom

    C A Upsdell Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > "August Karlstrom" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Firefox seems to always pick the last icon irregardless of its size.

    > I know this isn't alt.usage.english but I can't help myself...
    >
    > Use irrespective or regardless instead of irregardless, the prefix "ir-"
    > means "not" so irregardless means "not regardless", probably the
    > opposite of what you intended to say.

    That is a flammable assertion ... or perhaps inflammable?

    See http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irregardless : non-standard,
    but not necessarily incorrect. The English language is replete with
    inconsistencies.

    C A Upsdell, Oct 26, 2008
  8. August Karlstrom

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "C A Upsdell" <> wrote in message
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> "August Karlstrom" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Firefox seems to always pick the last icon irregardless of its size.

    >> I know this isn't alt.usage.english but I can't help myself...
    >>
    >> Use irrespective or regardless instead of irregardless, the prefix "ir-"
    >> means "not" so irregardless means "not regardless", probably the opposite
    >> of what you intended to say.

    > That is a flammable assertion ... or perhaps inflammable?
    >
    > See http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irregardless : non-standard,
    > but not necessarily incorrect. The English language is replete with
    > inconsistencies.

    In this particular case the word has become fetishized... you're
    considerably more likely to come across it in discussion about its misuse
    than you are to come across it actually being miused.

    Nik Coughlin, Oct 26, 2008
  9. Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > "August Karlstrom" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Firefox seems to always pick the last icon irregardless of its size.

    > I know this isn't alt.usage.english but I can't help myself...
    >
    > Use irrespective or regardless instead of irregardless, the prefix "ir-"
    > means "not" so irregardless means "not regardless", probably the
    > opposite of what you intended to say.

    Makes sense, thanks for pointing it out.

    August

    (a non-native English speaker from Sweden)

    August Karlstrom, Oct 26, 2008
  10. Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > AFAIK, IE only accepts true icon format, and also looks only for
    > favicon.ico. I got tired of seeing 404s when IE was looking for
    > favicon.ico, so I now make sure that is what it is called, and that it
    > is a true icon file.

    Thanks for the info. I will not let one browser decide where I should
    put my files on the server, so I think I will make the favicon an extra
    feature for those who use saner browsers.

    August

    August Karlstrom, Oct 26, 2008
  11. John Hosking wrote:
    > August Karlstrom wrote:
    >>> <head profile="http://www.w3.org/2005/10/profile">

    > I know the profile attribute is in the W3C Rec
    > (http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#profiles), but do you
    > know of anyone making actual use of it?

    I don't know if Firefox actually uses it but in the mentioned browser
    the icon is displayed all right.

    > At the risk of strating a 100-post flame thread like we have over in
    > a.w.webmaster, I'd like to inquire what your goal in doing this is. What
    > do you expect (or hope) to happen if you can make both sizes available?

    I'm expecting the same behaviour as in Windows: the small icon in the
    address bar and the large one for desktop shortcuts.

    August

    August Karlstrom, Oct 26, 2008
  12. August Karlstrom

    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> "August Karlstrom" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Firefox seems to always pick the last icon irregardless of its size.

    >> I know this isn't alt.usage.english but I can't help myself...
    >>
    >> Use irrespective or regardless instead of irregardless, the prefix "ir-"
    >> means "not" so irregardless means "not regardless", probably the opposite
    >> of what you intended to say.

    > Makes sense, thanks for pointing it out.
    >

    > August
    >
    > (a non-native English speaker from Sweden)

    You're welcome. Your English is better than that of many native speakers.

    Nik Coughlin, Oct 26, 2008
  13. On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 16:06:05 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > "C A Upsdell" <> wrote:
    >> Nik Coughlin wrote:

    >>> I know this isn't alt.usage.english but I can't help myself...
    >>>
    >>> Use irrespective or regardless instead of irregardless, the prefix "ir-"
    >>> means "not" so irregardless means "not regardless", probably the opposite
    >>> of what you intended to say.

    >> That is a flammable assertion ... or perhaps inflammable?
    >>
    >> See http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irregardless : non-standard,
    >> but not necessarily incorrect. The English language is replete with
    >> inconsistencies.

    > In this particular case the word has become fetishized... you're
    > considerably more likely to come across it in discussion about its misuse
    > than you are to come across it actually being miused.

    Disirregardlessly, it's off-topic.

    Allodoxaphobia, Dec 8, 2008