Favicons, providing more than one size

August Karlstrom

Hi,

How do I provide both a 16x16 and a 32x32 favicon in the png format? I
guess the following will not work:

<head profile="http://www.w3.org/2005/10/profile">
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon16.png" />
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon32.png" />

August

August Karlstrom

August said:
Hi,

How do I provide both a 16x16 and a 32x32 favicon in the png format? I
guess the following will not work:

<head profile="http://www.w3.org/2005/10/profile">
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon16.png" />
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon32.png" />

Firefox seems to always pick the last icon irregardless of its size.

August

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed August Karlstrom
Firefox seems to always pick the last icon irregardless of its size.

August

AFAIK, IE only accepts true icon format, and also looks only for
favicon.ico. I got tired of seeing 404s when IE was looking for
favicon.ico, so I now make sure that is what it is called, and that it
is a true icon file.

John Hosking

August said:
August Karlstrom wrote:

I know the profile attribute is in the W3C Rec
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#profiles), but do you
know of anyone making actual use of it?
Firefox seems to always pick the last icon irregardless of its size.

At the risk of strating a 100-post flame thread like we have over in
a.w.webmaster, I'd like to inquire what your goal in doing this is. What
do you expect (or hope) to happen if you can make both sizes available?

C A Upsdell

August said:
Hi,

How do I provide both a 16x16 and a 32x32 favicon in the png format? I
guess the following will not work:

A single ICO file can contain several sizes of icons, and Windows picks
the one that is appropriate. A program which creates an ICO file should
be able to put several images into the single ICO file. I use a
freeware program called PNG2ICO to do this. I'm sure that there are
many alternatives.

Nik Coughlin

August Karlstrom said:
Firefox seems to always pick the last icon irregardless of its size.

I know this isn't alt.usage.english but I can't help myself...

Use irrespective or regardless instead of irregardless, the prefix "ir-"
means "not" so irregardless means "not regardless", probably the opposite of
what you intended to say.

C A Upsdell

Nik said:
I know this isn't alt.usage.english but I can't help myself...

Use irrespective or regardless instead of irregardless, the prefix "ir-"
means "not" so irregardless means "not regardless", probably the
opposite of what you intended to say.

That is a flammable assertion ... or perhaps inflammable?

See http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irregardless : non-standard,
but not necessarily incorrect. The English language is replete with
inconsistencies.

Nik Coughlin

C A Upsdell said:
That is a flammable assertion ... or perhaps inflammable?

See http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irregardless : non-standard,
but not necessarily incorrect. The English language is replete with
inconsistencies.

In this particular case the word has become fetishized... you're
considerably more likely to come across it in discussion about its misuse
than you are to come across it actually being miused.

August Karlstrom

Nik said:
I know this isn't alt.usage.english but I can't help myself...

Use irrespective or regardless instead of irregardless, the prefix "ir-"
means "not" so irregardless means "not regardless", probably the
opposite of what you intended to say.

Makes sense, thanks for pointing it out.

August

(a non-native English speaker from Sweden)

August Karlstrom

Adrienne said:
AFAIK, IE only accepts true icon format, and also looks only for
favicon.ico. I got tired of seeing 404s when IE was looking for
favicon.ico, so I now make sure that is what it is called, and that it
is a true icon file.

Thanks for the info. I will not let one browser decide where I should
put my files on the server, so I think I will make the favicon an extra
feature for those who use saner browsers.

August

August Karlstrom

John said:
I know the profile attribute is in the W3C Rec
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#profiles), but do you
know of anyone making actual use of it?

I don't know if Firefox actually uses it but in the mentioned browser
the icon is displayed all right.
At the risk of strating a 100-post flame thread like we have over in
a.w.webmaster, I'd like to inquire what your goal in doing this is. What
do you expect (or hope) to happen if you can make both sizes available?

I'm expecting the same behaviour as in Windows: the small icon in the
address bar and the large one for desktop shortcuts.

August

Nik Coughlin

August Karlstrom said:
Makes sense, thanks for pointing it out.

August

(a non-native English speaker from Sweden)

You're welcome. Your English is better than that of many native speakers.

Allodoxaphobia

In this particular case the word has become fetishized... you're
considerably more likely to come across it in discussion about its misuse
than you are to come across it actually being miused.

Disirregardlessly, it's off-topic.