feature request for a wget -r like implementation in python3

alex23

So I can make a recursive http download script
My goal is a one click instruction to install and launch my projecthttp://code.google.com/p/appwsgi/

Here's Guido's take on wget:

import sys, urllib
def reporthook(*a): print a
for url in sys.argv[1:]:
i = url.rfind('/')
file = url[i+1:]
print url, "->", file
urllib.urlretrieve(url, file, reporthook)

If you extend this, you can offer an easy-download-and-run python
script that does the installation you want.

But why duplicate existing effort? Why not pip[1]?

1: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pip

gert

So I can make a recursive http download script
My goal is a one click instruction to install and launch my projecthttp://code.google.com/p/appwsgi/

Here's Guido's take on wget:

    import sys, urllib
    def reporthook(*a): print a
    for url in sys.argv[1:]:
         i = url.rfind('/')
         file = url[i+1:]
         print url, "->", file
         urllib.urlretrieve(url, file, reporthook)

If you extend this, you can offer an easy-download-and-run python
script that does the installation you want.

Guido is not talking about the same wget -r I think
I expected something like this

def hook(url):print(url)
def dir(url):
with urllib.request.urlopen(url) as f:
for u in f:
s=u.decode('latin1')
m=re.search('<li>.*href="([^\.].*)"',s)
if m:
t=url+m.group(1)
if t[-1]=='/': dir(t)
else:
d=os.path.dirname(t[33:])
if not os.path.exists(d):
os.makedirs(os.path.dirname(t[33:]))
urllib.request.urlretrieve(t,t[33:],hook(t))
dir('http://appwsgi.googlecode.com/hg/')

How do I get rit of 33:
But why duplicate existing effort? Why not pip[1]?
1:http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pip

pip is a chainsaw, I need a pocket knife