File association problems?

Erik Boling

The other day, ruby was working fine for me. Then i was messing around
and when i went to open one of my saved programs with scite, i wondered
what would happen if i made it *always preform this action* so i did.
then when i would try and run it in cmd... it would just open it as
scite, and not a .rb program. So, then i went back to the file location
and i tried opening with cmd instead of scite. After that, my computer
says that my programs arn't "valid win32 applications".
Some people thought it might have been file association, but I'm not
sure, look at this .....

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Schmode>assoc /?
Displays or modifies file extension associations

ASSOC [.ext[=[fileType]]]

.ext Specifies the file extension to associate the file type with
fileType Specifies the file type to associate with the file extension

Type ASSOC without parameters to display the current file associations.
If ASSOC is invoked with just a file extension, it displays the current
file association for that file extension. Specify nothing for the file
type and the command will delete the association for the file extension.

C:\Documents and Settings\Schmode>ftype /?
Displays or modifies file types used in file extension associations

FTYPE [fileType[=[openCommandString]]]

fileType Specifies the file type to examine or change
openCommandString Specifies the open command to use when launching
files
of this type.

Type FTYPE without parameters to display the current file types that
have open command strings defined. FTYPE is invoked with just a file
type, it displays the current open command string for that file type.
Specify nothing for the open command string and the FTYPE command will
delete the open command string for the file type. Within an open
command string %0 or %1 are substituted with the file name being
launched through the assocation. %* gets all the parameters and %2
gets the 1st parameter, %3 the second, etc. %~n gets all the remaining
parameters starting with the nth parameter, where n may be between 2 and
9,
inclusive. For example:

ASSOC .pl=PerlScript
FTYPE PerlScript=perl.exe %1 %*

would allow you to invoke a Perl script as follows:

script.pl 1 2 3

If you want to eliminate the need to type the extensions, then do the
following:

set PATHEXT=.pl;%PATHEXT%

and the script could be invoked as follows:

script 1 2 3

C:\Documents and Settings\Schmode>assoc .rb
rb=rbFile

C:\Documents and Settings\Schmode>ftype rbFile
rbFile="c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "%1" %*

C:\Documents and Settings\Schmode>ftype rbFile="C:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe"
"%1" %*
rbFile="C:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "%1" %*

C:\Documents and Settings\Schmode>cd\

C:\>helloworld.rb
Access is denied.

C:\>

Its strange, i have restarted my copm, re-installed ruby, and nothings
working?
thanks for any help,
Erik

Michael Linfield

You need to remove that file association and re-implement the ruby
interpretor with it.

Windows XP instructions -

Control panel > appearance and themes > folder options

:: File types tab

scroll to the RB extension

delete all extensions except...
it should be using Ruby interpreter (CUI) 1.8.6 [i386-mswin32]

g'luck!