File association problems?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Erik Boling, Oct 6, 2007.

  1. Erik Boling

    Erik Boling Guest

    The other day, ruby was working fine for me. Then i was messing around
    and when i went to open one of my saved programs with scite, i wondered
    what would happen if i made it *always preform this action* so i did.
    then when i would try and run it in cmd... it would just open it as
    scite, and not a .rb program. So, then i went back to the file location
    and i tried opening with cmd instead of scite. After that, my computer
    says that my programs arn't "valid win32 applications".
    Some people thought it might have been file association, but I'm not
    sure, look at this .....

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Schmode>assoc /?
    Displays or modifies file extension associations

    ASSOC [.ext[=[fileType]]]

    .ext Specifies the file extension to associate the file type with
    fileType Specifies the file type to associate with the file extension

    Type ASSOC without parameters to display the current file associations.
    If ASSOC is invoked with just a file extension, it displays the current
    file association for that file extension. Specify nothing for the file
    type and the command will delete the association for the file extension.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Schmode>ftype /?
    Displays or modifies file types used in file extension associations

    FTYPE [fileType[=[openCommandString]]]

    fileType Specifies the file type to examine or change
    openCommandString Specifies the open command to use when launching
    files
    of this type.

    Type FTYPE without parameters to display the current file types that
    have open command strings defined. FTYPE is invoked with just a file
    type, it displays the current open command string for that file type.
    Specify nothing for the open command string and the FTYPE command will
    delete the open command string for the file type. Within an open
    command string %0 or %1 are substituted with the file name being
    launched through the assocation. %* gets all the parameters and %2
    gets the 1st parameter, %3 the second, etc. %~n gets all the remaining
    parameters starting with the nth parameter, where n may be between 2 and
    9,
    inclusive. For example:

    ASSOC .pl=PerlScript
    FTYPE PerlScript=perl.exe %1 %*

    would allow you to invoke a Perl script as follows:

    script.pl 1 2 3

    If you want to eliminate the need to type the extensions, then do the
    following:

    set PATHEXT=.pl;%PATHEXT%

    and the script could be invoked as follows:

    script 1 2 3

    C:\Documents and Settings\Schmode>assoc .rb
    rb=rbFile

    C:\Documents and Settings\Schmode>ftype rbFile
    rbFile="c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "%1" %*

    C:\Documents and Settings\Schmode>ftype rbFile="C:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe"
    "%1" %*
    rbFile="C:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "%1" %*

    C:\Documents and Settings\Schmode>cd\

    C:\>helloworld.rb
    Access is denied.

    C:\>

    Its strange, i have restarted my copm, re-installed ruby, and nothings
    working?
    thanks for any help,
    Erik
    Erik Boling, Oct 6, 2007

  2. You need to remove that file association and re-implement the ruby
    interpretor with it.

    Windows XP instructions -

    Control panel > appearance and themes > folder options

    :: File types tab

    scroll to the RB extension

    delete all extensions except...
    it should be using Ruby interpreter (CUI) 1.8.6 [i386-mswin32]

    g'luck!

    Michael Linfield, Oct 7, 2007