File Cannot Be Found

NullQwerty

I've got some strange activity occuring.

We have a development server which mirrors our production server.

I have an Active-X .Net dll that sits in a Web Site Folder and is used
by an aspx page. All of the sudden the ActiveX component stopped
working on the development server but still works on production. I
checked the logs, and it was saying File Cannot Be Found when trying
to find the .dll, but it is there. It does however work, if I'm
terminaled into the development server, and go to the page from there.

Here's the additional odd behavior:
a) If I change the URL in IE and point to the dll directly on the
DEVELOPMENT server, it says File Cannot Be Found
b) If I change the URL in IE and point to the dll directly on the
PRODUCTION server, it downloads it no problem
c) If I change the URL in FireFox and point to the dll directly on
DEVELOPMENT OR PRODUCTION, it downloads it no problem

Both servers are on a Local Intranet, so I'm just not getting it. How
come it can download the dll in FireFox, but not IE? I'd say it was
an IE setting, but then how come it works in IE when I point to
production?

Any Ideas?

NullQwerty

Do you mean the both servers are included in Internet Options -
Security - Local Intranet?

Yes. Neither one was a Trusted Site, but for the heck of it, I tried
adding the Development Server as one, but still the same issue
occurred.

Guest

Yes. Neither one was a Trusted Site, but for the heck of it, I tried
adding the Development Server as one, but still the same issue
occurred.

Normally I think .net dll has to be deployed by copying to the /bin
directory of the web project.

Can you give me an example of a code what that dll does and how you
call it from your code?

NullQwerty

Normally I think .net dll has to be deployed by copying to the /bin
directory of the web project.

Can you give me an example of a code what that dll does and how you
call it from your code?

For Active-X .Net dlls, they don't have to be in a bin directory.

However, problem is actually resolved. I just deleted the Virtual
directory under IIS and recreated. It has all the same settings as
before, but now it works again. The site must have gotten corrupted
somehow because iisresets and server reboots didn't even resolve the
issue.

Thanks for the help though!