file locking module

ofer

I'm writing a script that requires locking a file before writing to it,

and I decided to check CPAN to see if there are any goodies to take
care
of this for me. A search for 'flock' yielded:

module ( dist updated )
IO::File::flock ( IO-File-flock-0.10 26 Apr 2004 )
IO::File::flock ( IO-File-Lockable-0.31 16 Jul 2004 )
IO::LockedFile::Flock ( IO-LockedFile-0.23 20 Feb 2003 )
File::Flock ( File-Flock-104.111901 19 Nov 2004 )

Anyone have any experience with any of the above, and want to recommend
one? Incidentally, this is why I think a CPAN wiki would be neat. :)

D. Marxsen

module ( dist updated )
IO::File::flock ( IO-File-flock-0.10 26 Apr 2004 )
IO::File::flock ( IO-File-Lockable-0.31 16 Jul 2004 )
IO::LockedFile::Flock ( IO-LockedFile-0.23 20 Feb 2003 )
File::Flock ( File-Flock-104.111901 19 Nov 2004 )

Anyone have any experience with any of the above, and want to recommend
one? Incidentally, this is why I think a CPAN wiki would be neat. :)

Hi,

I don't use any of them (and use an own method for locking) but just a hint:
Get the book "Perl Cookbook" (or similar, I know the German title only) from
O'Reilly. There is a very good section in it concerning various methods of
file locking.

Cheers,
Detlef.

ofer

I do have the Perl Cookbook (absolutely invaluable), and I'm familiar
with the flock function and fcntl constants, but like all good perl
programmers, I am lazy, so I'm now looking for a module that will
handle the dirty details for me and present me with an elegant syntax.
:)