File manager type of view written in Javascript

Anders Skelander

I have an internet location with files I share with other people.

If people go to this location and there is no index file there, they get
to see all files. That is in a way what I want, only that the default
file list in for example MS Internet Explorer looks a bit simplistic.

I dot want to have to edit the index file each time I add a new
file to this location.

So I am trying to figure out if there is a way to write an index file
which contains code to scan the same directory the index file is
located in and displays all files available there with a pretty
layout. Maybe with icons and file names?

Can this be done in Javascript? The prerequisite for that, is that
a Javascript (on the client side) can read directory entries on the
server side. Maybe one cannot do that with Javascript.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Anders

Blinky the Shark

Anders said:
I have an internet location with files I share with other people.
If people go to this location and there is no index file there, they
get to see all files. That is in a way what I want, only that the
default file list in for example MS Internet Explorer looks a bit
simplistic.
I dot want to have to edit the index file each time I add a new file
to this location.
So I am trying to figure out if there is a way to write an index file
which contains code to scan the same directory the index file is
located in and displays all files available there with a pretty
layout. Maybe with icons and file names?
Can this be done in Javascript? The prerequisite for that, is that

If that's an Apache server, you probably don't need to reinvent the
wheel.

http://ulysses.uchicago.edu/docs/DIRFILE.doc2.html#700

Blinky the Shark

Anders said:
I have an internet location with files I share with other people.
If people go to this location and there is no index file there, they get
to see all files. That is in a way what I want, only that the default
file list in for example MS Internet Explorer looks a bit simplistic.
I dot want to have to edit the index file each time I add a new
file to this location.
So I am trying to figure out if there is a way to write an index file
which contains code to scan the same directory the index file is
located in and displays all files available there with a pretty
layout. Maybe with icons and file names?
Can this be done in Javascript? The prerequisite for that, is that

CORRECTION - First response contained bad link.

If Apache, look at fancy indexing, here:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.1/mod/mod_autoindex.html#indexoptions