File manager type of view written in Javascript

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Anders Skelander, Jun 29, 2005.

  1. I have an internet location with files I share with other people.

    If people go to this location and there is no index file there, they get
    to see all files. That is in a way what I want, only that the default
    file list in for example MS Internet Explorer looks a bit simplistic.

    I dot want to have to edit the index file each time I add a new
    file to this location.

    So I am trying to figure out if there is a way to write an index file
    which contains code to scan the same directory the index file is
    located in and displays all files available there with a pretty
    layout. Maybe with icons and file names?

    Can this be done in Javascript? The prerequisite for that, is that
    a Javascript (on the client side) can read directory entries on the
    server side. Maybe one cannot do that with Javascript.

    Thanks in advance for any help with this.

    Anders

    Anders Skelander, Jun 29, 2005

  2. Anders Skelander wrote:

    > I have an internet location with files I share with other people.

    > If people go to this location and there is no index file there, they
    > get to see all files. That is in a way what I want, only that the
    > default file list in for example MS Internet Explorer looks a bit
    > simplistic.

    > I dot want to have to edit the index file each time I add a new file
    > to this location.

    > So I am trying to figure out if there is a way to write an index file
    > which contains code to scan the same directory the index file is
    > located in and displays all files available there with a pretty
    > layout. Maybe with icons and file names?

    > Can this be done in Javascript? The prerequisite for that, is that

    If that's an Apache server, you probably don't need to reinvent the
    wheel.

    http://ulysses.uchicago.edu/docs/DIRFILE.doc2.html#700

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 29, 2005

  3. Anders Skelander wrote:

    > I have an internet location with files I share with other people.

    > If people go to this location and there is no index file there, they get
    > to see all files. That is in a way what I want, only that the default
    > file list in for example MS Internet Explorer looks a bit simplistic.

    > I dot want to have to edit the index file each time I add a new
    > file to this location.

    > So I am trying to figure out if there is a way to write an index file
    > which contains code to scan the same directory the index file is
    > located in and displays all files available there with a pretty
    > layout. Maybe with icons and file names?

    > Can this be done in Javascript? The prerequisite for that, is that

    CORRECTION - First response contained bad link.

    If Apache, look at fancy indexing, here:

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.1/mod/mod_autoindex.html#indexoptions

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 29, 2005
  4. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Anders Skelander wrote:

    >> I have an internet location with files I share with other people.

    >> If people go to this location and there is no index file there, they
    >> get to see all files. That is in a way what I want, only that the
    >> default file list in for example MS Internet Explorer looks a bit
    >> simplistic.

    >> I dot want to have to edit the index file each time I add a new file
    >> to this location.

    >> So I am trying to figure out if there is a way to write an index file
    >> which contains code to scan the same directory the index file is
    >> located in and displays all files available there with a pretty
    >> layout. Maybe with icons and file names?

    >> Can this be done in Javascript? The prerequisite for that, is that

    > If that's an Apache server, you probably don't need to reinvent the
    > wheel.

    > http://ulysses.uchicago.edu/docs/DIRFILE.doc2.html#700

    BAD LINK - see my other response for correction.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 29, 2005