File properties

tfs

Is there a way in asp.net to get the file properties such as: author,
subject,title and category. Apparently, fileinfo doesn't have that.

I need to get the these as we are going to use them for our document
display system.

Thanks,

Tom

Jos

tfs said:
Is there a way in asp.net to get the file properties such as: author,
subject,title and category. Apparently, fileinfo doesn't have that.

I need to get the these as we are going to use them for our document
display system.

For Word and PDF documents, these properties are part
of the file data itself. You should look up the documentation
on each format to extract the info.

On NTFS file systems, this data can sometimes be found in
a so-called "named stream" inside the file (I know it exists with RTF
and graphic files).

To find out more about this last type of data, there's a
free utility, available at:
http://www.rekenwonder.com/streamexplorer.htm

I hope this helps you...

Thomas Scheiderich

Jos said:
For Word and PDF documents, these properties are part
of the file data itself. You should look up the documentation
on each format to extract the info.

On NTFS file systems, this data can sometimes be found in
a so-called "named stream" inside the file (I know it exists with RTF
and graphic files).

To find out more about this last type of data, there's a
free utility, available at:
http://www.rekenwonder.com/streamexplorer.htm

I tried that, but it doesn't seem to show the alternative data stream for a
..doc file - which is where the title, subject and category are. It does
show the security and object identifiers types (both unnamed). It does show
the alternative data streams for rtf files (summary and document), however.

Thanks,

Tom