File upload without Input type=file

Maris Janis Vasilevskis

Hi,

I create a binary file on client side using ActiveX.
Now, I need to upload it.

First idea - hidden Input type=file
Does not work, because value is read only.

A quickly made working solution:
Visible input type=file
Before post, I copy file name to clipboard and paste into input field (ActiveX used to paste).
I do not like it because client does not need this visible input and "Browse" button.

Currently, I try to make a choice between two possibilities.
Both seem to be rather complex, and I have problems with performance estimation
(a typical file size is 1-2 M).

First - read created file in a hidden text field, and save after post.
The problem is in encoding and decoding (the file is binary).

Second - create independent post with XMLHTTP.

Any suggestions? Another ideas?

Thank you,
Mahris

Maris Janis Vasilevskis

Thank you, but it is not the thing I need.
It returns a lot of suggestions about using input type=file.
I need a solution without this control, or a trick allowing to set client side file name programmatically.

Mahris

Kevin Spencer

You already have an ActiveX control on the client, which you have created.
The control can do the uploading all by itself.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP