File upload without Input type=file

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Maris Janis Vasilevskis, Jul 28, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    I create a binary file on client side using ActiveX.
    Now, I need to upload it.

    First idea - hidden Input type=file
    Does not work, because value is read only.

    A quickly made working solution:
    Visible input type=file
    Before post, I copy file name to clipboard and paste into input field (ActiveX used to paste).
    I do not like it because client does not need this visible input and "Browse" button.

    Currently, I try to make a choice between two possibilities.
    Both seem to be rather complex, and I have problems with performance estimation
    (a typical file size is 1-2 M).

    First - read created file in a hidden text field, and save after post.
    The problem is in encoding and decoding (the file is binary).

    Second - create independent post with XMLHTTP.

    Any suggestions? Another ideas?

    Thank you,
    Mahris

    Maris Janis Vasilevskis, Jul 28, 2006

  2. Maris Janis Vasilevskis

    Mark Rae Guest

    Mark Rae, Jul 28, 2006

  3. Thank you, but it is not the thing I need.
    It returns a lot of suggestions about using input type=file.
    I need a solution without this control, or a trick allowing to set client side file name programmatically.

    Mahris

    Maris Janis Vasilevskis, Jul 28, 2006
  4. You already have an ActiveX control on the client, which you have created.
    The control can do the uploading all by itself.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP