Final Two Quizzes

John Joyce

Matthew, Ari, Thomas, and John all need to put their heads =20
together. Sounds like we have the makings of a team here=85

James Edward Gray II
Indeed, 3 heads are better than none. (I'm not counting mine)
First off, we need a logo contest...

or perhaps a weekend roundtable via chat or something?=

John Joyce

Hey all summaries are not from him LOL, no but that is an important
think to know.
I have already expressed my interest to be part of such a team but in
a private discussion with James. Obviously the time has come to
discuss this publicly. Count me in.
If being an idiot is a problem count me out again ;).
Amen, maybe we need a "responsible" or "project admin" in good old
open source tradition but I feel that only a team can make this going
on, there will be no JEG IV (pun intended of course).
Cheers
Robert
you mean your change from the last Ruby Quiz???
all right Robert, you're in as well.
we definitely are getting enough people that we need to establish
some roles and a decision making process that avoids fighting or
problems among everyone with a focus on producing and maintaining quizes

Daniel Finnie

I think that a lot of decisions (like the logo contest mentioned above)
hinge on whether James lets the current Ruby Quiz site sit or whether he
decides to allow someone else to post future Ruby Quizzes to the site.

I think that keeping the current Ruby Quiz web site but with new management
is the best solution as it:
- Preserves continuity between Ruby Quiz 1.0 and 2.0. Very seamless
transition.
- Is easier for the RQ maintainers (no new website to create!).
- Keeps everything in one place.

And then all that is needed is a Wiki/email inbox for Ruby Quiz
submissions. A weekly chat/Skype call can decide what one will be picked
for the week. I think a wiki with a "featured article" a la Wikipedia would
be the best solution technically but the secrecy of quizzes are in the
pipeline is kinda appealing about the Ruby Quiz 1.0 system.

What do you think?

Dan

John Joyce

[...]

On Jan 31, 2008 12:03 AM, John Joyce
<[email protected]>
wrote:
This has already been covered previously. James even covered this
weeks ago regarding the site. He also reiterated it yesterday.
He will keep the site up, but is not in a position to make it
available to other management.
Change is part of life and it may not be as good as James' quiz, but
it will be somewhat different.

James Gray

This has already been covered previously. James even covered this
weeks ago regarding the site. He also reiterated it yesterday.
He will keep the site up, but is not in a position to make it
available to other management.

Yeah, I feel it's just better to move it to a new site. My scripts
are all intimately tied to my hosting account, so I can't easily open
it up to others.

I also feel it will give the new maintainer(s) more options, since
they don't need to worry about all of the legacy data. I'll keep the
site online as an archive and add a link to the new quiz.

James Edward Gray II

James Gray

all right Robert, you're in as well.
we definitely are getting enough people that we need to establish
some roles and a decision making process that avoids fighting or
problems among everyone with a focus on producing and maintaining
quizes

I have a #rubyquiz channel on Freenode. You all are welcome to use it
to coordinate, if you want.

James Edward Gray II

fedzor

First off, we need a logo contest...

Why do we have to leave everything James did behind?
or perhaps a weekend roundtable via chat or something?

I think this would be good, although you'd have to count me out
(school work). IRC/IM some weeknight might be good, though.

Martin DeMello

I agree. I would love to be the next quizmaster, but I would be
affraid that I would run out of ideas and time pretty quickly. It
needs someone as dedicated as James was. Shame to see you going James,
them 3 years went quick. You done a great job.

I don't have the time to be a quizmaster, but I enjoy coming up with
quizzes, and have contributed several to James. I'm sure there are
*lots* of people like me on the list - the ideas aren't a problem,
it's the coordination and summaries that take time and energy.

martin

Joe

Speaking of scripts, it'd be cool for an automated checking system
similar to codegolf.com that could check solutions. Maybe make a few
test cases known, and have a few that you don't tell the users.

Joe

James Gray

Speaking of scripts, it'd be cool for an automated checking system
similar to codegolf.com that could check solutions. Maybe make a few
test cases known, and have a few that you don't tell the users.

The minus of a system like that though is how much you have to tied it
down. Try requiring a standard library in a codegolf submission, for
example. Not happening. It would be a shame to lose all of that
freedom.

James Edward Gray II

tho_mica_l

The minus of a system like that though is how much you have to tied it

It would be cool though if some specs/tests were available (maybe even
included in the quiz announcement) so that one could easily check
one's code ... also to promote good practice.

If a team of 4+ people is doing this, I'd suggest that only one person
knows the quiz in advance -- maybe by rotation.

Thomas.

James Gray

It would be cool though if some specs/tests were available (maybe even
included in the quiz announcement) so that one could easily check
one's code ... also to promote good practice.

Then you will like this week's problem. :)

We've done this at times. The downside is that it discourages people
from test driving their solution in their own way.

In the end, I decided variety would be the great equalizer during my
run with the quiz. That way everyone gets what they want some of the
time.

James Edward Gray II