Digest Ruby Quiz 2

Robert Dober

Hi list

this is the trial to sum up all the ideas that have been exchanged
sofar on the subject.
I will try to be as objective as possible but if somebody feels
misinterpreted speak up of course!!

It has two purposes, first inform people interested before the might
join a chatting session we would like to organize this Saturday, but
we have timing problems.

And secondly to have a starting point for the project, so please folks
you think we missed something very important for the start but please
start a separate thread for all potential future enhancements. Thx in
advance :)

We had such ideas already (sponsorship e.g.) but we all decided to
start with the necessary and as simply as possible.

First of all a list of people who seem interested to be part of this
project we have baptized "RubyQuiz 2" so far.
I am trying to be very carefully with addresses in doubt please search
the archives and look at the details of the mail, but Spammers' lifes
are too easy already
There is
C = ".com"
G = 64.chr << "gmail" << C

* Mattew Moss [@name,@surname].map(&:downcase).join(".") << G
I will call him "Matt"

* Thomas Wieczorek [@surname[0,6].downcase << ".yo" << 64.chr <<
"google" << "mail" << C
I will call him "Thom"

* John Joyce %w{danger willrobinson danger}.join << G
I will call him "John"

* Ari Brown "fezdor" << G and I will call him "Ari"

* YHS address is easily seen in this post and I will call him "Rob"

Furthermore James is so kind to participate in our exchanges and
provided plenty of info and hints I will call him "James"

======================== START ========================
Ok where are we:
Actually things look pretty well:

* Matt is willing and motivated to play the role of the "Quizmaster"
that is selecting quizzes, presenting them and writing summaries.

* John & Thom seem quite motivated and capable to come up with a
functional site design quite easily and quickly.

Let me try to give some key statements:

Matt: I need help with the uploading stuff and cannot take care of the site.

James: Some things which were often requested or wanted by himself, I
just copy & paste here:
<begin>
* A link on the front page to the current quiz and some status
information about where that quiz is currently at: no-spoiler period,
submissions accepted, or complete.
* The ability to rate the difficultly of the quizzes. I would
probably just let site visitor vote and average their opinions.
* A decent search. It would be terrific if you could hunt for
solutions by a certain regular, algorithm names, or even a specific
line of code (like a require line).
</end>

James: Do not reinvent the wheel use Markdown

Thom: Expressed a very practical approach for site design like *not* using Ruby.
Matt: Concurred with Thom on this.
James & Rob: Think that this is all about Ruby and unless there is no
other choice we should use Ruby for the site.

Matt: Expressed his opinion that we need a site (as simple and static
as it might be to get going) because getting going was
most important .
Rob: Agreed, Ruby Quiz should go on "naturally"
Matt: I have some Ruby Quiz ideas in backhand.
Rob: That is great but in the long run they should be provided by the
community again, but right now that might be a lifesaver.

Thom talked about I18N
James suggest rebuilding the site with something like Webby
Both exchanged first ideas about categorization, tagging or searching.

Ari suggested Ramasslog

Then there was the chat last Saturday with Matt and Rob where we
basically agreed about most things said above, Matt did you send me
the log, I kind of cannot find it, maybe you can kindly send it in
reply:

======================= END ====================
How I see things:
Matt could be the new "James" ;) but he needs help.
John & Thomas seem to be interested in providing some of the technical help.
Rob does not have much time but is willing to help out wherever needed
for now and later on once in a while, but to be honest sometimes just
copying files will not be good enough sometimes I'd love to run the
Quiz too.
Ari: Expressed that he had no time to do it but would love to do so,
that too would make him an occasional candidate when we force Matt to
take a break;)
James: Well that seems clear but maybe he will still be there for some
advice if we do not overdo it ;)

Other people have talked about Ruby Quiz 2 like e.g. Todd Benson,
please tell me (Todd and others) if I overlooked you as an interested
person.
As a matter of fact I would not like the role of a coordinator here I
am just such a bad one but wanted to write this up before the next
chat.
Looking at the messy result maybe we will find a volunteer for the next time?

And the problem that remains is of course the host for the site :(.

Cheers
Robert

Matthew Moss

this is the trial to sum up all the ideas that have been exchanged
sofar on the subject.
I will try to be as objective as possible but if somebody feels
misinterpreted speak up of course!!

This discussion does NOT need to occur on the main mailing list.

Robert Dober

This discussion does NOT need to occur on the main mailing list.
I am very surprised that you think that, if this is going to be a team
effort I believe we should give others the possibility to join.
Now I am aware that this is a very *long* post but I did my best sorry.
If on the other hand you mean to create a RubyQuiz2 Mailing List I
would say that is rather a brilliant idea, but for now....
Cheers
Robert

Matthew Moss

I'm curious as to why you would say that (also on the main mailing list).

1. It's a lot of details that, for the most part, pertain only to the
people involved and not the ruby-talk population as a whole.

2. rubyquiz has worked as well as it has from one, dedicated man, not
from committee. Posting all those details to the main list threatens
to turn rubyquiz2 into being run by committee.

3. I said it on the mailing list so as to attempt to halt its
discussion on the mailing list. How would anyone have known my request
had I said it privately to one person?

Why the second is important... I don't believe running RQ by committee
will work. I don't believe it can be as effective as a few, dedicated
people. We have a few people discussing such things in a private
discussion; now, Robert has opened that to everyone. (Now, I can
accept that might be unintended, as I don't believe English is
Robert's native language and/or I might have misinterpreted.)

Robert Dober

[...]

Although English is not my native language I have opened up this
discussion to everyone on purpose, actually I never considered it
closed.

If you believe that you want to run Ruby Quiz as a 1 man show, you
shall do so, but how would this influence our (in that case without
you) decision to run it as a team effort?

There might even be two Ruby quizzes who knows?

But this discussion risks indeed high traffic! Could we maybe get a
RubyQuiz2 Mailing List? I have no knowledge on these things, so if one
kind soul could help that would be appreciated, if not I'll try to
work it out by myself :(.

Cheers and apologies to those not interested in the topic (but why
should they read the thread on the other hand?).
Robert

Matthew Moss

If you believe that you want to run Ruby Quiz as a 1 man show, you
shall do so, but how would this influence our (in that case without
you) decision to run it as a team effort?

I said James had run it as a one-man show. Here's what I said: "I
don't believe running RQ by committee... can be as effective as a few,
dedicated people."

Few is more than one, but still small. Keeps things manageable.

But perhaps I'm wrong. Discussion on this thread will determine that.

There might even be two Ruby quizzes who knows?

No. I'm not going to make a fork of rubyquiz. In the immortal words:
There can be only one.

John Joyce

Ok, I hope there is no tension already...
I agree less is more regarding number of people setting up the quiz.
Give it time, we will get the site going!
The initial quizzes should go on in Ruby-Talk.
I'm working on the site now. For a while, it may be a work in
progress, until we get the features settled.
Some will like it and some will not like it. We will come to some
consensus over time.
Some features can be implemented later. (example: quiz difficulty
ratings. It's a great idea, but the implementation can be a PITA and
is not vital in the beginning. Ultimately, it would need to be a post-
quiz, user/visitor ranking, because it is a VERY personal opinion.)

My main personal goal is simply to make sure that the quiz tradition
continues. The best thing I can do is helping with the site itself.
Quizmasters, it is your job to focus on creating quizzes an handling
the submissions and summaries.

Don't worry everyone, things will fall into place naturally!

If there is ever any question about anything, just ask yourselves:
"Is this really, really important to the quiz itself? Is this truly
urgent? Will this positively or negatively impact the quiz? Am I
doing this for me, or for the quiz and for Ruby?"
Remember, like James, we should be doing this to contribute to Ruby
and for people who use and learn Ruby.

Todd Benson

1. It's a lot of details that, for the most part, pertain only to the
people involved and not the ruby-talk population as a whole.

Okay. I sort of agree.
2. rubyquiz has worked as well as it has from one, dedicated man, not
from committee. Posting all those details to the main list threatens
to turn rubyquiz2 into being run by committee.

You mean, like that terrible wikipedia thing?
3. I said it on the mailing list so as to attempt to halt its
discussion on the mailing list. How would anyone have known my request
had I said it privately to one person?

Yes, that makes perfect sense.
Why the second is important... I don't believe running RQ by committee
will work. I don't believe it can be as effective as a few, dedicated
people. We have a few people discussing such things in a private
discussion; now, Robert has opened that to everyone. (Now, I can
accept that might be unintended, as I don't believe English is
Robert's native language and/or I might have misinterpreted.)

I don't entirely disagree with you, but you don't have to make it
sound like despotism. I mean, half of what you suggest would also
imply that no one on ruby-talk should shout out every once in a while
about ruby source code. I agree with John that it will fall into
place whether anybody thinks this is the correct venue or not for such
a topic.

I do hope you guys come up with some cool ideas for the site, wherever
it might be hosted. I'm looking forward to it. I don't contribute
many answers, but I learn quite a bit by looking at the answers.

Todd

Matthew Moss

You mean, like that terrible wikipedia thing?

Wikipedia has a well-developed, long set of posting rules and
guidelines that keep it in line. Look at the history of a huge number
of pages to see the resulting chaos had they no such thing.

I don't entirely disagree with you, but you don't have to make it
sound like despotism.

I fail to understand how saying/wanting a small, core team is
despotism.

Todd Benson

I fail to understand how saying/wanting a small, core team is
despotism.

I should try not to "get" tone via mail. My apologies. "There can be
only one" was a little hint :)

Like I said. I'm just happy that there are people out there willing
to move this forward. I really think it's an integral part of
learning not just the language, but also programming in general.

Todd

Matthew Moss

I should try not to "get" tone via mail. My apologies. "There can be
only one" was a little hint :)

That was aimed at the comment about my going off and starting my own,
parallel Ruby quiz. I have no such intentions.