FindByText dropdownlist

G

Hi,

I am using FindByText method of dropdownlist to change the selected item in a dropdownlist like this:

DropDownList1.Items("mySelectedText").Selected = True

It doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I have this piece of code in OnSelectedIndexChanged event of the dropdownlist.

Can anyone tell me why it's not setting the selected item?

Thanks,
AK

G

The DropDownList's Items collection does not accept a string or a ListItem name as an argument. If you only know the text of the item you wish to have selected you can use:

DropDownList1.SelectedValue = DropDownList1.Items.FindByText("text").Value

hope this helps,
John

G

HI John,

Thanks for responding..But in a hurry, I think I missed typing FindByText.
Instead of setting DropDownList1.Items.FindByText("mySelectedText").Selected = True, I also tried the exact same line of code that you gave below. But the surprising and as well as annoying thing that I noticed is that, if I hardcode the text parameter, it works fine but if I have that value in a variable, it doesn't set the selected value. I also tried trimming the text before passing it to the FindByText method. I even printed out the variable value to the browser and it's exact same thing as I hardcoded.

Could you tell me what could be the reason for this?

Thanks,
AK

G

Hi AK,

No if the values are the same and you are sure of that, then there is no reason that it shouldn't work. Try something like this.

Dim strValue as String = "text"
DropDownList1.SelectedValue = DropDownList1.Items.FindByText(strValue).Value

and then try replacing strValue with "text".. They should both work. If it doesn't please post some code; there has to be something going on!

thanks,
John

Ask a Question