    what the error is? I know there's a 3C way to check HTML but I don't
    know of a way to validate JavaScript. Thanks.

    Ken

    OccasionalFlyer, Nov 28, 2011

  2. 2011-11-28 20:55, OccasionalFlyer wrote:

    > I have a web page

    Try learning how to post the URL.

    You might also benefit from describing the problems you have in
    understandable terms, but that’s less important. People may find out
    your real problem from the URL.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 28, 2011

  3. On Nov 28, 11:16 am, "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    > 2011-11-28 20:55, OccasionalFlyer wrote:
    > >   I have a web page

    > Try learning how to post the URL.
    >
    > You might also benefit from describing the problems you have in
    > understandable terms, but that’s less important. People may find out
    > your real problem from the URL.
    >
    > --
    > Yucca,http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    There isn't a URL. Here is why:
    The special tags only function if the page is prepped on a Dialog
    Execution Server taht is part of PeopleSoft CRM.
    THe specific page is the third page in the web application and if you
    tried to get to it, you'd get an error because you had not logged in.
    It is a page in an online admissions application, not a "public" page
    anyone can look at. The only system that you could even "see" is the
    production system and this page is getting an error with code I am
    testing, so there's really no way to get to it.
    The current test version of this server is uhavailable currently
    So I am trying simply to take the .html file, change the .js file it
    uses, and open the .html file in FIrefox . It is a way to validate
    that my actual change works without a proper test system to use at
    this moment. I can paste the page source but posting a URL wouldn't
    do you much good. I'm attempting to do what I can to make sure
    my .js change won't fail in production, since I don't have control
    over the test environment.

    Given that, can you suggest a way to figure out where the page is
    breaking? Thanks.

    Ken

    OccasionalFlyer, Nov 28, 2011
  4. 2011-11-28 21:52, OccasionalFlyer wrote:

    > There isn't a URL.

    Please go away. The Internet is full.

    > Here is why:
    > The special tags only function if the page is prepped on a Dialog
    > Execution Server taht is part of PeopleSoft CRM.

    It looks like you are either an imbecile or a troll.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 28, 2011
  5. OccasionalFlyer wrote:
    > I'm attempting to do what I can to make sure
    > my .js change won't fail in production, since I don't have control
    > over the test environment.

    No control over the test environment? Well you are in a real pickle.

    > Given that, can you suggest a way to figure out where the page is
    > breaking? Thanks.

    Channeling, voodoo, divine intervention? Nope.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 28, 2011
  6. On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:52:06 -0800, OccasionalFlyer wrote:

    > Given that, can you suggest a way to figure out where the page is
    > breaking? Thanks.

    Yes, insert things like

    alert("calling function x");

    before function calls etc, so you get some idea of what bits of javascript
    is (or aren't) executing, and then compare that with what you think
    should be happening.

    Note that some perceived error conditions in javascript may occur
    silently - running out of physical memory is one that was discussed
    elsewhere recently.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Nov 28, 2011
  7. On 28 Nov 2011 21:35:44 GMT, Denis McMahon <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:52:06 -0800, OccasionalFlyer wrote:
    >
    >> Given that, can you suggest a way to figure out where the page is
    >> breaking? Thanks.

    >Yes, insert things like
    >
    >alert("calling function x");
    >
    >before function calls etc, so you get some idea of what bits of javascript
    >is (or aren't) executing, and then compare that with what you think
    >should be happening.

    That might not work. I find that with many syntax errors, often,
    the page will not display.

    I use Dreamweaver. I select a chunk of JavaScript code and cut
    it out, save the page, and then try to run the page. Still failing? I
    paste the code back in and try the next chunk. If it does something
    different, then the error might be in the section cut out. If the
    problem is still not clear, use the same technique on smaller pieces.

    "different" can mean fails. It is not that relevant. You may
    well remove important functionality while doing this. Your page may
    start working in a degraded manner. Or it may error out in a
    different way. That is what you are looking for.

    >Note that some perceived error conditions in javascript may occur
    >silently - running out of physical memory is one that was discussed
    >elsewhere recently.

    Hey, that was my issue!

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko

    Gene Wirchenko, Nov 28, 2011
  8. OccasionalFlyer <> wrote

    > There isn't a URL. Here is why:
    > The special tags only function if the page is prepped on a Dialog
    > Execution Server taht is part of PeopleSoft CRM.

    Then you need to take the source of the page, take out anything
    personally identifiable, put it somewhere on the web, and give us the
    URL. If the JavaScript is in an external file, include that, as well as
    any external CSS file.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services - http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info/