Finding cause of page error

OccasionalFlyer

I have a web page that uses a JavaScript file to populate drop-down
options dynamically. I've made a simple change to the JavaScript
file, the sort I have made many times with either no problem or an
error that the Firefox Error console pointed to clearly. This time,
however, I cannot figure out if the error is in something I've
inadvertently done to the HTML or is a JavaScript error. The page
loads but fails rendeing past the fixed page header (from the <body>
tag to the <form> tag it appears). However, the Frefox Error Console
doesn't say anything of note except for problems it has with www.google.com.
I started Firebug in a new tab and then opened the HTML file I am
using to test the JavaScript. Firebug disappears from sight. The net
result is that I see no error being displayed anywhere but the page
won't finish loading. One complicating factor is that the page is
full of special tags that are resolved by a server that controls the
actual web interaction--so I don't know if the 3C validation process
will be of any value. . I'm just looking at the page, however, as
simple HTML with JavaScript. Any suggestions for how I can track down
what the error is? I know there's a 3C way to check HTML but I don't
know of a way to validate JavaScript. Thanks.

Ken

Jukka K. Korpela

I have a web page

Try learning how to post the URL.

You might also benefit from describing the problems you have in
understandable terms, but that’s less important. People may find out
your real problem from the URL.

OccasionalFlyer

Try learning how to post the URL.

You might also benefit from describing the problems you have in
understandable terms, but that’s less important. People may find out
your real problem from the URL.

There isn't a URL. Here is why:
The special tags only function if the page is prepped on a Dialog
Execution Server taht is part of PeopleSoft CRM.
THe specific page is the third page in the web application and if you
tried to get to it, you'd get an error because you had not logged in.
It is a page in an online admissions application, not a "public" page
anyone can look at. The only system that you could even "see" is the
production system and this page is getting an error with code I am
testing, so there's really no way to get to it.
The current test version of this server is uhavailable currently
So I am trying simply to take the .html file, change the .js file it
uses, and open the .html file in FIrefox . It is a way to validate
that my actual change works without a proper test system to use at
this moment. I can paste the page source but posting a URL wouldn't
do you much good. I'm attempting to do what I can to make sure
my .js change won't fail in production, since I don't have control
over the test environment.

Given that, can you suggest a way to figure out where the page is
breaking? Thanks.

Ken

Jukka K. Korpela

There isn't a URL.

Please go away. The Internet is full.
Here is why:
The special tags only function if the page is prepped on a Dialog
Execution Server taht is part of PeopleSoft CRM.

It looks like you are either an imbecile or a troll.

Jonathan N. Little

OccasionalFlyer said:
I'm attempting to do what I can to make sure
my .js change won't fail in production, since I don't have control
over the test environment.

No control over the test environment? Well you are in a real pickle.
Given that, can you suggest a way to figure out where the page is
breaking? Thanks.

Channeling, voodoo, divine intervention? Nope.

Denis McMahon

Given that, can you suggest a way to figure out where the page is
breaking? Thanks.

Yes, insert things like

alert("calling function x");

before function calls etc, so you get some idea of what bits of javascript
is (or aren't) executing, and then compare that with what you think
should be happening.

Note that some perceived error conditions in javascript may occur
silently - running out of physical memory is one that was discussed
elsewhere recently.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Gene Wirchenko

Yes, insert things like

alert("calling function x");

before function calls etc, so you get some idea of what bits of javascript
is (or aren't) executing, and then compare that with what you think
should be happening.

That might not work. I find that with many syntax errors, often,
the page will not display.

I use Dreamweaver. I select a chunk of JavaScript code and cut
it out, save the page, and then try to run the page. Still failing? I
paste the code back in and try the next chunk. If it does something
different, then the error might be in the section cut out. If the
problem is still not clear, use the same technique on smaller pieces.

"different" can mean fails. It is not that relevant. You may
well remove important functionality while doing this. Your page may
start working in a degraded manner. Or it may error out in a
different way. That is what you are looking for.
Note that some perceived error conditions in javascript may occur
silently - running out of physical memory is one that was discussed
elsewhere recently.

Hey, that was my issue!

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Adrienne Boswell

OccasionalFlyer said:
There isn't a URL. Here is why:
The special tags only function if the page is prepped on a Dialog
Execution Server taht is part of PeopleSoft CRM.

Then you need to take the source of the page, take out anything
personally identifiable, put it somewhere on the web, and give us the
URL. If the JavaScript is in an external file, include that, as well as
any external CSS file.