    depending on FireFox or IE, but I can't find it.

    Thanks for any help you can offer,

    Michele
    mjones, Dec 20, 2009

  2. mjones wrote:

    > Firefox doesn't read the relative position below and move my image in
    > the td up, but IE understands it.

    Understands in which sense?

    "The effect of 'position:relative' on table-row-group, table-header-group,
    table-footer-group, table-row, table-column-group, table-column, table-cell,
    and table-caption elements is undefined."
    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#propdef-position

    So browsers can do whatever they want with such an element and still claim
    conformance to CSS specifications.

    > I used to know a way to determine the browser and use different code
    > depending on FireFox or IE, but I can't find it.

    Good for you.

    If you want to get help with your real problem, post a real URL and explain
    what you would like to accomplish, rather than a snippet of code that has by
    definition undefined impact.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 20, 2009

  3. mjones

    dorayme Guest

    In article <KGvXm.54142$>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > mjones wrote:
    >
    > > Firefox doesn't read the relative position below and move my image in
    > > the td up, but IE understands it.

    > If you want to get help with your real problem, post a real URL and explain
    > what you would like to accomplish, rather than a snippet of code that has by
    > definition undefined impact.

    This makes the unwarranted assumption that what you said before is not
    all the help she would feel the need for at her stumbling block. Like a
    robot vacuum cleaner, she might happily and effectively enough go off in
    a different direction now she knows what you told her that I snipped.
    And I snipped it to show comprehensive reading, this in my mind, right
    at this particular point, trumping my urge to show context.

    <g>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 20, 2009
  4. mjones

    mjones Guest

    On Dec 20, 3:57 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article <KGvXm.54142$>,
    >  "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    >

    > > mjones wrote:

    > > > Firefox doesn't read the relative position below and move my image in
    > > > the td up, but IE understands it.

    > > If you want to get help with your real problem, post a real URL and explain
    > > what you would like to accomplish, rather than a snippet of code that has by
    > > definition undefined impact.

    > This makes the unwarranted assumption that what you said before is not
    > all the help she would feel the need for at her stumbling block. Like a
    > robot vacuum cleaner, she might happily and effectively enough go off in
    > a different direction now she knows what you told her that I snipped.
    > And I snipped it to show comprehensive reading, this in my mind, right
    > at this particular point, trumping my urge to show context.
    >
    > <g>
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Thank you for your response. Well, here is the page in question:

    http://www.quality-computing.com/?url=/pmp/old-class-pictures.asp

    The 'Your instructor' picture (bottom right) in IE is higher and
    relatively aligned with the picture to the left of it. Basically, I'd
    like Firefox to align this picture in the same position as it is in
    IE.

    Regarding the different browsers and more detail. I knew how to say,
    if it's Firefox, do this code, and if else, do this code.

    Thanks again for any help you can offer.

    Michele
    mjones, Dec 20, 2009
  5. mjones

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    mjones <> wrote:

    > Thank you for your response. Well, here is the page in question:
    >
    > http://www.quality-computing.com/?url=/pmp/old-class-pictures.asp
    >
    > The 'Your instructor' picture (bottom right) in IE is higher and
    > relatively aligned with the picture to the left of it. Basically, I'd
    > like Firefox to align this picture in the same position as it is in
    > IE.

    Gosh!

    Love your photos with folks saying things... nice

    But really this is a very naughty mess of a page, it is hard to know
    where to begin. All I can do is splutter something to help you solve
    your particular problem:

    Replace your

    style="position: relative; top: -45px;"

    with these magic words:

    valign="top"

    in the iFrame.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 20, 2009
  6. mjones

    rf Guest

    "mjones" <> wrote in message
    On Dec 20, 3:57 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article <KGvXm.54142$>,

    >Thank you for your response. Well, here is the page in question:

    >http://www.quality-computing.com/?url=/pmp/old-class-pictures.asp

    >The 'Your instructor' picture (bottom right) in IE is higher and
    >relatively aligned with the picture to the left of it. Basically, I'd
    >like Firefox to align this picture in the same position as it is in
    >IE.

    Crikey, what an earth shattering difference.

    You can't position td elements like that, as has been said elsewhere.

    What exactly are you trying to position? The image, right? So position the
    image. You are allowed to position images.

    >Regarding the different browsers and more detail. I knew how to say,
    >if it's Firefox, do this code, and if else, do this code.

    No, that's a silly thing to do. Use correct code in the first place and it
    will usually look the same.

    If the browsers behave diferently it is most certain that it is IE getting
    it wrong.
    rf, Dec 20, 2009
  7. mjones

    mjones Guest

    On Dec 20, 5:16 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    >  mjones <> wrote:

    > > Thank you for your response.  Well, here is the page in question:

    > >http://www.quality-computing.com/?url=/pmp/old-class-pictures.asp

    > > The 'Your instructor' picture (bottom right) in IE is higher and
    > > relatively aligned with the picture to the left of it.  Basically, I'd
    > > like Firefox to align this picture in the same position as it is in
    > > IE.

    > Gosh!
    >
    > Love your photos with folks saying things... nice
    >
    > But really this is a very naughty mess of a page, it is hard to know
    > where to begin. All I can do is splutter something to help you solve
    > your particular problem:
    >
    > Replace your
    >
    > style="position: relative; top: -45px;"
    >
    > with these magic words:
    >
    > valign="top"
    >
    > in the iFrame.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Ah, that's it. Relative position works if it's in a div tag in
    Firefox and IE, but only IE if it's in a td tag.

    Thanks everyone!!

    I only do my website part-time so I truly appreciate your help once in
    a while. I really run a school to teach Project Management
    Professional Certification Prep classes; thus the pictures of happy
    students.
    mjones, Dec 21, 2009
  8. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 21, 2009
  9. mjones

    dorayme Guest

    dorayme, Dec 21, 2009
  10. dorayme wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >> dorayme wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Gosh!
    >>>
    >>> Love your photos with folks saying things... nice

    >> Folks? Where are folks?
    >> http://tekrider.net/usenet/pmptraining.jpg

    > My, my, the things you can miss out on with js off! <g>

    I suppose... So what do these pimps look like after they've been
    trained?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 21, 2009
  11. mjones

    dorayme Guest

    In article <hgmq61$4hj$-september.org>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:

    > >> Folks? Where are folks?
    > >> http://tekrider.net/usenet/pmptraining.jpg

    > > My, my, the things you can miss out on with js off! <g>

    > I suppose... So what do these pimps look like after they've been
    > trained?

    Gee, I would have to imagine it for you, the people in the photos look
    nice and they speak in an interesting way, in text that comes up in
    bubbles! Wish I could speak like that. I would need a scrollable bubble
    though because I do not like to be brief, I think it is a sin.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 21, 2009
  12. mjones

    rf Guest

    "mjones" <> wrote in message

    > http://www.quality-computing.com/?url=/pmp/old-class-pictures.asp

    There is something very very seriously wrong with this page.

    I spotted it because the jpegs appear to be progressive, so you can see if
    they load more than once.

    They load more than once.

    Every single image is reloaded *from the server* at twice.

    And they are not cached.

    The main problem is that gratutious javascript in there. You should get rid
    of it. It serves no purpose whatsoever, except to double your server load.
    rf, Dec 21, 2009
  13. mjones

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <>, mjones <> wrote:

    >Regarding the different browsers and more detail. I knew how to say,
    >if it's Firefox, do this code, and if else, do this code.

    This is a suboptimal approach to web design. Better to design for
    standards-respecting browsers such as Firefox, Opera, etc. then tweak if
    needed so that it appears correctly in IE -- in other words, if it's IE do
    this and if it's anything else do that.
    Doug Miller, Dec 21, 2009