Firefox and Positioning

mjones

Hi All,

Firefox doesn't read the relative position below and move my image in
the td up, but IE understands it.

Any idea how to get both browsers to work?

I used to know a way to determine the browser and use different code
depending on FireFox or IE, but I can't find it.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Michele

Jukka K. Korpela

mjones said:
Firefox doesn't read the relative position below and move my image in
the td up, but IE understands it.

Understands in which sense?

"The effect of 'position:relative' on table-row-group, table-header-group,
table-footer-group, table-row, table-column-group, table-column, table-cell,
and table-caption elements is undefined."
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#propdef-position

So browsers can do whatever they want with such an element and still claim
conformance to CSS specifications.
I used to know a way to determine the browser and use different code
depending on FireFox or IE, but I can't find it.

Good for you.

If you want to get help with your real problem, post a real URL and explain
what you would like to accomplish, rather than a snippet of code that has by
definition undefined impact.

dorayme

"Jukka K. Korpela said:

If you want to get help with your real problem, post a real URL and explain
what you would like to accomplish, rather than a snippet of code that has by
definition undefined impact.

This makes the unwarranted assumption that what you said before is not
all the help she would feel the need for at her stumbling block. Like a
robot vacuum cleaner, she might happily and effectively enough go off in
a different direction now she knows what you told her that I snipped.
And I snipped it to show comprehensive reading, this in my mind, right
at this particular point, trumping my urge to show context.

<g>

mjones

This makes the unwarranted assumption that what you said before is not
all the help she would feel the need for at her stumbling block. Like a
robot vacuum cleaner, she might happily and effectively enough go off in
a different direction now she knows what you told her that I snipped.
And I snipped it to show comprehensive reading, this in my mind, right
at this particular point, trumping my urge to show context.

<g>

Thank you for your response. Well, here is the page in question:

http://www.quality-computing.com/?url=/pmp/old-class-pictures.asp

The 'Your instructor' picture (bottom right) in IE is higher and
relatively aligned with the picture to the left of it. Basically, I'd
like Firefox to align this picture in the same position as it is in
IE.

Regarding the different browsers and more detail. I knew how to say,
if it's Firefox, do this code, and if else, do this code.

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

Michele

dorayme

Thank you for your response. Well, here is the page in question:

http://www.quality-computing.com/?url=/pmp/old-class-pictures.asp

The 'Your instructor' picture (bottom right) in IE is higher and
relatively aligned with the picture to the left of it. Basically, I'd
like Firefox to align this picture in the same position as it is in
IE.

Gosh!

Love your photos with folks saying things... nice

But really this is a very naughty mess of a page, it is hard to know
where to begin. All I can do is splutter something to help you solve
your particular problem:

Replace your

style="position: relative; top: -45px;"

with these magic words:

valign="top"

in the iFrame.

rf

Thank you for your response. Well, here is the page in question:

The 'Your instructor' picture (bottom right) in IE is higher and
relatively aligned with the picture to the left of it. Basically, I'd
like Firefox to align this picture in the same position as it is in
IE.

Crikey, what an earth shattering difference.

You can't position td elements like that, as has been said elsewhere.

What exactly are you trying to position? The image, right? So position the
image. You are allowed to position images.
Regarding the different browsers and more detail. I knew how to say,
if it's Firefox, do this code, and if else, do this code.

No, that's a silly thing to do. Use correct code in the first place and it
will usually look the same.

If the browsers behave diferently it is most certain that it is IE getting
it wrong.

mjones

Gosh!

Love your photos with folks saying things... nice

But really this is a very naughty mess of a page, it is hard to know
where to begin. All I can do is splutter something to help you solve
your particular problem:

Replace your

style="position: relative; top: -45px;"

with these magic words:

valign="top"

in the iFrame.

Ah, that's it. Relative position works if it's in a div tag in
Firefox and IE, but only IE if it's in a td tag.

Thanks everyone!!

I only do my website part-time so I truly appreciate your help once in
a while. I really run a school to teach Project Management
Professional Certification Prep classes; thus the pictures of happy
students.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
My, my, the things you can miss out on with js off! <g>

I suppose... So what do these pimps look like after they've been
trained?

dorayme

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
I suppose... So what do these pimps look like after they've been
trained?

Gee, I would have to imagine it for you, the people in the photos look
nice and they speak in an interesting way, in text that comes up in
bubbles! Wish I could speak like that. I would need a scrollable bubble
though because I do not like to be brief, I think it is a sin.

rf

There is something very very seriously wrong with this page.

I spotted it because the jpegs appear to be progressive, so you can see if
they load more than once.

They load more than once.

Every single image is reloaded *from the server* at twice.

And they are not cached.

The main problem is that gratutious javascript in there. You should get rid
of it. It serves no purpose whatsoever, except to double your server load.

Doug Miller

Regarding the different browsers and more detail. I knew how to say,
if it's Firefox, do this code, and if else, do this code.

This is a suboptimal approach to web design. Better to design for
standards-respecting browsers such as Firefox, Opera, etc. then tweak if
needed so that it appears correctly in IE -- in other words, if it's IE do
this and if it's anything else do that.