Firefox, css and html web developer tools

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Mar 30, 2006.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In my FF, from the web developing tools, you can "edit css" (live
    - btw - a really cool feature). Also, similar with html. In both
    cases a frame appears to the left of the webpage in which the css
    or html is displayed. In the case of the css, there is a mini tab
    heading in this frame, called, not surprisingly, "Edit CSS". It
    looks as if there could be more tabs, perhaps an "Edit HTML" next
    to it. And then you could flip from one to the other for "live"
    editing of either. But this is not so.

    The roughly equivalent looking html edit feature - also in left
    frame - can be chosen but the css editing feature then
    disappears. And, if you look closely, the heading for the Edit
    HTML is not in a tab heading, though it is in the same place.

    I do realise that being open source there are all sorts of things
    being developed, not everything being integrated perfectly with
    other things. Just wondering if anyone knows any tricks or
    downloads to get both the css and html editing features to be
    tabable from within the left frame. It would be nice not to have
    to choose a different menu item in the developer bar, lose the
    other one and so on.

    Not looking for alternative ways of managing things, there are
    millions. I want this! Have I missed how to make it happen?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 30, 2006

  2. dorayme wrote:

    > In the case of the css, there is a mini tab heading in this frame,
    > called, not surprisingly, "Edit CSS". It looks as if there could be
    > more tabs, perhaps an "Edit HTML" next to it. And then you could flip
    > from one to the other for "live" editing of either. But this is not
    > so.

    There would be multiple tabs for multiple style sheets, and also for
    embedded styles in the document.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 31, 2006

  3. dorayme

    Stan McCann Guest

    dorayme <> wrote in news:doraymeRidThis-
    :

    > In my FF, from the web developing tools, you can "edit css" (live
    > - btw - a really cool feature). Also, similar with html. In both

    snip

    > other things. Just wondering if anyone knows any tricks or
    > downloads to get both the css and html editing features to be
    > tabable from within the left frame. It would be nice not to have
    > to choose a different menu item in the developer bar, lose the
    > other one and so on.
    >
    > Not looking for alternative ways of managing things, there are
    > millions. I want this! Have I missed how to make it happen?

    Just as good IMO is using UltraEdit opening the HTML file in one tab,
    the CSS in another; both open from FTP. I click on the save button in
    UE and a refresh in FF give me much the functionality as you describe.
    Crimson Editor does this also and is free instead of the $30? for UE.
    The difference is if you need secure ftp, CE doesn't do it.

    HTH

    --
    Stan McCann, "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/
    Webmaster, NMSU Alamogordo http://alamo.nmsu.edu/

    Stan McCann, Mar 31, 2006
  4. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
    > <> declared in alt.html:
    >
    > > It
    > > looks as if there could be more tabs, perhaps an "Edit HTML" next
    > > to it. And then you could flip from one to the other for "live"
    > > editing of either. But this is not so.

    > No - it's used if there are multiple CSS files linked to the page (or
    > inline CSS).

    Yes, you are right. I had previously noticed this re css - but I
    confess, forgot it when posting this! I was rather more
    concentrating on the extra tab for html that I imagined and
    wanted!

    > > Just wondering if anyone knows any tricks or
    > > downloads to get both the css and html editing features to be
    > > tabable from within the left frame.

    > Unfortunately, no. But it certainly would be nice.

    Must get onto the FF sites to see if this thought could be put
    into geeky heads... but similar is perhaps likely to have been
    discussed...

    It _is_ very nice not having to go back and forth between source
    files and webpages via different apps (and all the clicking and
    saving that that entails) but the usefulness is blunted by quite
    a few complexities, one mentioned in this thread and others to do
    with saving changes...

    It is quite sophisticated, the thought that has gone into these
    FF tools and we can surely expect to see better and cooler...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 31, 2006
  5. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9796A88AA242Estanmccann@216.234.192.142>,
    Stan McCann <> wrote:

    > Just as good IMO is using UltraEdit opening the HTML file in one tab,
    > the CSS in another; both open from FTP. I click on the save button in
    > UE and a refresh in FF give me much the functionality as you describe.
    > Crimson Editor does this also and is free instead of the $30? for UE.
    > The difference is if you need secure ftp, CE doesn't do it.

    Sounds good Stan, but I am on a Mac...

    I am quite happy really with using a good editor (in my case
    BBEdit) and seeing the changes in a browser. Just that this FF
    editing was rather neat for a small amount of forensic
    fossicking...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 31, 2006
  6. dorayme

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > It
    > looks as if there could be more tabs, perhaps an "Edit HTML" next
    > to it. And then you could flip from one to the other for "live"
    > editing of either. But this is not so.

    No - it's used if there are multiple CSS files linked to the page (or
    inline CSS).

    > The roughly equivalent looking html edit feature - also in left
    > frame - can be chosen but the css editing feature then
    > disappears. And, if you look closely, the heading for the Edit
    > HTML is not in a tab heading, though it is in the same place.

    Because there can be only one HTML file linked to an HTML file. :)

    > Just wondering if anyone knows any tricks or
    > downloads to get both the css and html editing features to be
    > tabable from within the left frame.

    Unfortunately, no. But it certainly would be nice.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    My Usenet is improved; yours could be too:
    http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    Mark Parnell, Mar 31, 2006
  7. dorayme

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Must get onto the FF sites to see if this thought could be put
    > into geeky heads... but similar is perhaps likely to have been
    > discussed...

    You'd be better off going to Chris Pederick's site - he does the web
    developer toolbar.
    http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/

    In fact, you'll see that he already has it on his to do list:
    "Add support for using multiple Web Developer sidebars at the same time"
    http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/documentation/todo/

    Mark Parnell, Mar 31, 2006
  8. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
    > <> declared in alt.html:
    >
    > > Must get onto the FF sites to see if this thought could be put
    > > into geeky heads... but similar is perhaps likely to have been
    > > discussed...

    > You'd be better off going to Chris Pederick's site - he does the web
    > developer toolbar.
    > http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/

    Good try Mark, but not so fast! I am staying here, I like it
    here, despite the chilly atmosphere towards me that I feel in my
    bones from time to time.

    > In fact, you'll see that he already has it on his to do list:
    > "Add support for using multiple Web Developer sidebars at the same time"
    > http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/documentation/todo/

    Excellent. As I vaguely guessed. If an idea is good, some other
    bastard has usually thought it. Plus it saves me trouble this
    info of yours, you see, the problem is this:

    In this "Sitepoint" FF book, it says that if you are to be taken
    notice of by developers you must adopt a serious and professional
    manner. Now, I did wear fairly formal gear at my own daughter's
    wedding in a gesture... But when my darling's back was turned,
    the crowd cornered me and beat me up badly for the wanky
    pretence... And quite rightly too!

    ho hum...

    --
    dorayme