Firefox failure

Roedy Green

I thought I would give the firefox browser a try.

It fails on every applet with exceptions like this:

\localhost\e:\mindprod\com\mindprod\fontshower\FontShower\class.class
(The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)

So I chopped the .class in the Applet tag, even though that is the way
the sun site does it.

then I get a message like this:

\localhost\e:\mindprod\com\mindprod\fontshower\FontShower\class.class
(The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)

It is as if it is trying to find the class file bare, rather than in
the archive jar.

The applets at least start when run from the website but then fail in
odd ways. All works fine on all the other browsers.

Thomas Weidenfeller

Roedy said:
I thought I would give the firefox browser a try.

It fails on every applet with exceptions like this:

\localhost\e:\mindprod\com\mindprod\fontshower\FontShower\class.class
(The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)

Are you feeding it a Windows path ("\") instead of a URL ("/")? Did you
wrap the reference to the applet in some HTML?

/Thomas

John C. Bollinger

Roedy said:
I thought I would give the firefox browser a try.

It fails on every applet with exceptions like this:

\localhost\e:\mindprod\com\mindprod\fontshower\FontShower\class.class
(The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)

So I chopped the .class in the Applet tag, even though that is the way
the sun site does it.

then I get a message like this:

\localhost\e:\mindprod\com\mindprod\fontshower\FontShower\class.class
(The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)

I.e. the same message?

It looks like someone has replaced the ".class" of the class file name
with "\class.class". I don't know whether that was FireFox or you, but
presumably it was FireFox. If it _was_ FireFox then by all means submit
a bug report; Mozilla produces new releases rather quickly so you ought
to see a fix soon if the problem is there.

John Bollinger
(e-mail address removed)

Hemal Pandya

Roedy Green said:
I thought I would give the firefox browser a try.

It fails on every applet with exceptions like this:

\localhost\e:\mindprod\com\mindprod\fontshower\FontShower\class.class
(The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)

FWIW I am get an error (Applet com.mindprod.fontshower.FontShower
notinited) when I go to http://mindprod.com/fontshower/FontShower but
I think http://mindprod.com/fontshower works. I am able to choose
fonts from the drop down and see the effect but the textbox does not
allow input. Is that as designed? Quick brown fox does not mean much
to all the indian language fonts on my machine :)

I am running FireFox 0.9.1, I do not have java console.

Roedy Green

Are you feeding it a Windows path ("\") instead of a URL ("/")? Did you
wrap the reference to the applet in some HTML?

the HTML is the same as for the other browsers. Every Applet on my
website has this problem.

For example
on http://mindprod.com/fontshower.html

<applet code="com.mindprod.fontshower.FontShower"
archive="fontshower.jar" width="600" height="370" vspace="10"
hspace="10" alt="Sorry, you need Java to run Font Shower">
</applet>

or Sun's way:
<applet code="com.mindprod.fontshower.FontShower.class"
archive="fontshower.jar" width="600" height="370" vspace="10"
hspace="10" alt="Sorry, you need Java to run Font Shower">
</applet>

Roedy Green

FWIW I am get an error (Applet com.mindprod.fontshower.FontShower
notinited) when I go to http://mindprod.com/fontshower/FontShower but

that makes sense. There is no such directory.

There is a fontshower.jar in http://mindprod.com
and inside that is com.mindprod.fontshower.FontShower.class

I can run it too with Firefox 0.9.1 from the web, but when I run it
locally, FireFox Java gets confused. The jar then is
E:\mindprod\fontshower.jar.

Instead of looking in the jar, Firefox is looking in
E:\mindprod\com\mindprod\fontshower\FontShower.class
It is as if it is ignoring the archive tag.

<applet code="com.mindprod.fontshower.FontShower"
archive="fontshower.jar" width="600" height="370" vspace="10"
hspace="10" alt="Sorry, you need Java to run Font Shower">
</applet>

if I use a sun style applet tag:

<applet code="com.mindprod.fontshower.FontShower.class"
archive="fontshower.jar" width="600" height="370" vspace="10"
hspace="10" alt="Sorry, you need Java to run Font Shower">
</applet>

then Firefox gets even more confused and looks in
E:\mindprod\com\mindprod\fontshower\FontShower.class.class

Opera used to have similar problems running Applets locally. I gather
the FireFox people have fallen into the same gotcha.

Nigel Wade

that makes sense. There is no such directory.

There is a fontshower.jar in http://mindprod.com
and inside that is com.mindprod.fontshower.FontShower.class

I can run it too with Firefox 0.9.1 from the web, but when I run it
locally, FireFox Java gets confused. The jar then is
E:\mindprod\fontshower.jar.

The HTML spec says that the archive attribute should contain a list of
URIs. Is E:\mindprod\fontshower.jar a valid URI? It could be interpreting
the E: as a URI and ignoring it because there is no such specifier.

If you can put the jar on the same partition as the HTML you could use a
relative URI then rather than a Windows pathname.

Karl von Laudermann

Roedy Green said:
The problem is running applets locally. I would need to download your
applet.

Well, FWIW, I downloaded your fontshower.jar file and created a .html
file in the same directory, containing the exact <applet> tag that you
have on your website. It worked fine in Firefox. I'm using Firefox
0.9, *not* 0.91, so it could be a recent breakage. This is on Windows
XP, and J2SE 1.4.2.

Chris Smith

Roedy said:
There is a fontshower.jar in http://mindprod.com
and inside that is com.mindprod.fontshower.FontShower.class

Do you mean that it contains com/mindprod/fontshower/FontShower.class
(which is a JAR path) or com.mindprod.fontshower.FontShower (which is a
class name)? The strange hybrid above is nothing I've ever seen before.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Roedy Green

The HTML spec says that the archive attribute should contain a list of
URIs. Is E:\mindprod\fontshower.jar a valid URI? It could be interpreting
the E: as a URI and ignoring it because there is no such specifier.

<applet code="com.mindprod.fontshower.FontShower"
archive="fontshower.jar" width="600" height="370" vspace="10"
hspace="10" alt="Sorry, you need Java to run Font Shower">
</applet>

I have a relative URL in the archive: "fontshower.jar". Other browsers
interpret that as E:\mindprod\fontshower.jar locally (i.e. from
E:\mindprod\fontshower.html) and
http://mindprod.com/fontshower.jar when run from the web (i.e. from
http://mindprod.com/fontshower.html)

Firefox seems to be ignoring the archive altogether when run locally.

Instead of looking for:
E:/mindprod/fontshower.jar!com/mindprod/fontshower/FontShower.class
it is looking for:
E:/mindprod/com/mindprod/fontshower/FontShower.class

Roedy Green

Do you mean that it contains com/mindprod/fontshower/FontShower.class
(which is a JAR path) or com.mindprod.fontshower.FontShower (which is a
class name)? The strange hybrid above is nothing I've ever seen before.

The usual confusion. It is an ordinary jar containing a class with a
garden variety package name.

The zip member name if you look with a hex viewer is:
com/mindprod/fontshower/FontShower.class

the original class file was called
com\mindprod\fontshower\FontShower.class

Winzip displays it as
com\mindprod\fontshower\FontShower.class

The class name is
com.mindprod.fontshower.FontShower

The code tag Sun style is:
com.mindprod.fontshower.FontShower.class

the code tag as written is:
com.mindprod.fontshower.FontShower

Roedy Green

Well, FWIW, I downloaded your fontshower.jar file and created a .html
file in the same directory, containing the exact <applet> tag that you
have on your website. It worked fine in Firefox. I'm using Firefox
0.9, *not* 0.91, so it could be a recent breakage. This is on Windows
XP, and J2SE 1.4.2.

I am using Win2k, and Java 1.4.2_05 and firefox 0.9.1 with the local
failures.

Here are the Java system properties from Wassup
http://mindprod.com/wassup.html
when running an Applet on the web

acl.read = +

acl.read.default =

acl.write = +

application.home = C:\PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~2.2_0

awt.toolkit = sun.awt.windows.WToolkit

browser.version = 1.1

deployment.javaws.jre.0.enabled = true

deployment.javaws.jre.0.location =
http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se

deployment.javaws.jre.0.osname = Windows

deployment.javaws.jre.0.platform = 1.4

deployment.javaws.jre.0.product = 1.4.2_04

deployment.javaws.jre.0.registered = true

deployment.javaws.jre.1.osarch = x86

deployment.javaws.jre.1.osname = Windows

deployment.javaws.jre.1.platform = 1.4

deployment.javaws.jre.1.registered = true

deployment.javaws.logFileName = c:\temp\jws.log

deployment.javaws.player.mode = 1

deployment.javaws.player.remoteURL =
http://roedy:[email protected]/replicator/replicatorreceiverwebsite.jnlp

deployment.javaws.proxy.httpproxyoverride =

deployment.javaws.proxy.setting = NONE

deployment.javaws.showConsole = true

deployment.javaws.splash.cache = C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator.ROEDY\Application
Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\javaws\cache\splashes\splash.xml

deployment.javaws.whenInstall = 2

deployment.system.home = C:\WINNT\Sun\Java\Deployment

deployment.system.profile = C:\WINNT

deployment.system.security.policy =
file:/C:/WINNT/Sun/Java/Deployment/security/java.policy

deployment.user.cachedir = C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator.ROEDY\Application
Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache

deployment.user.extdir = C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator.ROEDY\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\ext

deployment.user.home = C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator.ROEDY\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment

deployment.user.jssecerts = C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator.ROEDY\Application
Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\security\deployment.jssecerts

file.encoding.pkg = sun.io

file.separator = \

file.separator.applet = true

http.agent = Mozilla/4.0 (Windows 2000 5.0)

http.auth.serializeRequests = true

https.protocols = SSLv3,SSLv2Hello

java.awt.printerjob = sun.awt.windows.WPrinterJob

java.class.version = 48.0

java.class.version.applet = true

java.endorsed.dirs = C:\PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~2.2_0\lib\endorsed

java.home = C:\PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~2.2_0

java.protocol.handler.pkgs =
sun.plugin.net.protocol|sun.plugin.net.protocol

java.runtime.version = 1.4.2_05-b04

java.specification.name = Java Platform API Specification

java.util.prefs.PreferencesFactory =
java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferencesFactory

java.vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc.

java.version = 1.4.2_05

java.version.applet = true

java.vm.info = mixed mode

java.vm.specification.vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc.

java.vm.version = 1.4.2_05-b04

javaplugin.console = show

javaplugin.exception = true

javaplugin.maxHeapSize = 96m

javaplugin.nodotversion = 142_05

javaplugin.proxy.config.type = browser

javaplugin.proxy.usebrowsersettings = true

javaplugin.version = 1.4.2_05

line.separator.applet = true

os.name = Windows 2000

os.name.applet = true

os.version = 5.0

package.restrict.access.sun = true

package.restrict.definition.sun = true

path.separator = ;

path.separator.applet = true

sun.arch.data.model = 32

sun.boot.class.path =
C:\PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~2.2_0\lib\rt.jar;C:\PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~2.2_0\lib\i18n.jar;C:\PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~2.2_0\lib\sunrsasign.jar;C:\PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~2.2_0\lib\jsse.jar;C:\PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~2.2_0\lib\jce.jar;C:\PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~2.2_0\lib\charsets.jar;C:\PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~2.2_0\classes;C:\PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~2.2_0\lib\plugin.jar

sun.boot.library.path = C:\PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~2.2_0\bin

sun.cpu.isalist = pentium i486 i386

sun.io.unicode.encoding = UnicodeLittle

sun.java2d.fontpath =

sun.net.client.defaultConnectTimeout = 120000

trustProxy = true

user.country = CA

user.home = C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.ROEDY

user.language = en

user.name = Administrator

user.timezone = America/Los_Angeles

user.variant =

oddly there is no java.class.path. Perhaps that is the root of the
trouble.

Chris Smith

Roedy said:
The code tag Sun style is:
com.mindprod.fontshower.FontShower.class

This is what confused me. This "Sun style" code tag is something I've
never seen. I've always just put the class name of the applet class in
an applet tag's code attribute, as you have done now. Never mind my
comment.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Roedy Green

This is what confused me. This "Sun style" code tag is something I've
never seen. I've always just put the class name of the applet class in
an applet tag's code attribute, as you have done now. Never mind my
comment.

Go look at the Sun site. They put .class on the end of all the code
tags.

Nigel Wade

<applet code="com.mindprod.fontshower.FontShower"
archive="fontshower.jar" width="600" height="370" vspace="10"
hspace="10" alt="Sorry, you need Java to run Font Shower">
</applet>

I have a relative URL in the archive: "fontshower.jar".

Sorry, I thought you meant that you had put the path
"E:\mindprob\fontshower.jar" in the <applet> tag.

I don't see that problem with Firefox on Linux. I can load a page locally
with an <applet> tag containing

archive="fitDataViewers.jar"
code="fitDataViewers/NetFitViewApplet.class"
or
code="fitDataViewers.NetFitViewApplet"
or
code="fitDataViewers.NetFitViewApplet.class"

and the applet loads from the jar file in the same directory as the html
file, and the class files are found without any problem.

I'm still looking for the Java Console on Firefox though...

Andrew Thompson

It seems to pop up after an exception, never before.

Maybe the solution for the developer is to put a
'throw an exception' applet in the page, just
so they can trigger the appearance of the console..

Nigel Wade

Maybe the solution for the developer is to put a
'throw an exception' applet in the page, just
so they can trigger the appearance of the console..

Yeah, how do you see debugging output if you only get the console when an
exception occurs?