Firefox minor update released: Venkman banned

VK

A minor Firefox update was released (now 1.5.0.1)

Full list of fixes can be found here:
<http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/releases/1.5.0.1.html>

Unfortunately the same update bans Venkman for Firefox 1.5
The only one half-official version was at
<http://www.mozilla.org/projects/venkman/>

Right after update it was announced as incompatible and blocked. What
did Venkman do to Mozilla? (I have to assume that it was an intentional
fix in the update package).

And what reputable but still lightweight tool could be suggested now?

Jim Ley

Right after update it was announced as incompatible and blocked. What
did Venkman do to Mozilla? (I have to assume that it was an intentional
fix in the update package).

I think you'll find it was:

Other security holes not yet disclosed (as of 2006-02-01).

Jim.

VK

Jim said:
I think you'll find it was:

Other security holes not yet disclosed (as of 2006-02-01).

Is it your guess or you know something? (as some security fixes are not
publically disclosed yet).

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

VK said:
A minor Firefox update was released (now 1.5.0.1)
[...]
Unfortunately the same update bans Venkman for Firefox 1.5

IMHO "to ban" is the wrong word. The extension is disabled if it
is installed and cannot be installed if it has not been before.
The only one half-official version was at
<http://www.mozilla.org/projects/venkman/>

It is not, and has never been, half-official.
Right after update it was announced as incompatible and blocked. What
did Venkman do to Mozilla? (I have to assume that it was an intentional
fix in the update package).

Venkman did not do anything. It is Firefox's version string that changed
and therefore Venkman's version compatibility range that no longer matches.

This changes with Venkman 0.9.86: <URL:http://getahead.ltd.uk/ajax/venkman>

From the new .xpi's install.rdf file:

| <!-- target: Mozilla Firefox, version 0.9 to 1.6 -->
| <em:targetApplication>
| <Description>
| <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
| <em:maxVersion>1.5+</em:maxVersion>
| <em:minVersion>0.9</em:minVersion>
| </Description>
| </em:targetApplication>