First time using an API...

Discussion in 'Python' started by Matty Sarro, Feb 17, 2011.

  1. Matty Sarro

    Matty Sarro Guest

    This may be kind of a stupid question, so please be gentle.
    I've only ever used most programming in the past when shell scripting
    couldn't handle what I needed done. So, I rarely dabble with things
    like API's, or even python-isms. I just program to get things done.

    Well, that's about to change :)
    I am in charge of deploying a platform to allow people across my
    company to access a variety of crunched metrics using splunk. I need
    to allow access into the data using Splunk's RESTful API, which is
    implemented in both java and python. The thing is, I have no idea how
    to do that. I've looked through some of the documentation, and it has
    me start a pydoc server on the system but when i navigate to the page
    it just shows listings of functions. The descriptions would be great,
    except they don't really tell me a lot. For instance, nothing really
    seems to say "fetchRecord(user_name) fetches all records matching a
    particular user name". Further, how do I actually use the API?

    I appreciate any of the pointers you can offer. Its a big part of this
    project, but my minor knowledge in programming isn't helping me much
    here.
    -Matty

    Matty Sarro, Feb 17, 2011

  2. Matty Sarro wrote:

    > I am in charge of deploying a platform to allow people
    > across my company to access a variety of crunched metrics
    > using splunk.

    For the convenience of others
    that may not be familar with splunk ....

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splunk

    http://www.splunk.com/

    --
    Stanley C. Kitching
    Human Being

    Cousin Stanley, Feb 17, 2011

  3. Matty Sarro

    Matty Sarro Guest

    Good point, pardon the assumption :)
    I'm reading more about RESTful and it looks like its a web based API.
    Oh well, I'll figure it out, I mean, my job depends on it, lol.

    Matty Sarro, Feb 17, 2011